PDA

View Full Version : easy-grease axle

montana
05-28-2011, 09:52 AM
My Montana has easy-grease axles, so I’m getting ready for a long trip, and it is time for grease job. I haven’t gone far since the last grease job so instead of spending 2 to 3 hours greasing I decide to use the easy-grease feature. I’m a mechanic and followed the directions closely. In about 100 miles I have no breaks so I pull into a dealer; my Montana was still under warranty. They pull the hubs and find grease soaked shoes. They try to sell me a brake job for hundreds of dollars. They said never use the easy-grease feature, when I asked them what the feature is for they said it is for marine use. My reply was, “does this mean that marine use doesn’t need breaks”?
I pulled the unit back home, washed the shoes clean. 3000 miles ago and all is well. They tried to rip-off the wrong person. I hear that they routinely sell brake jobs to people that use this feature. I’m wondering if Keystone uses this feature to keep the dealers rich! There is no other use for it that I can find.
:mad: the books cleanly state the easy-grease feature is a excellent feature.

Jim W
05-28-2011, 10:24 AM
I discuss the Easy lube axles with my dealer service adviser. He stated to only pump in 2 squirts of grease with a hand operated grease gun at the beginning of the season. I asked if I could use an air operated gun since this is what I grease my truck with and he stated no he prefer the hand unit. He also stated that the bearings only needed a little bit of grease. Not a lot since this would blow out the seals if you over grease them.
He also instructed me to repack the bearings every 12,000 miles, so this will be done on a 12,000 mile schedule. I normally put about 6,000 miles a season on my trailer. So I will be repacking them every other year.
Jim W.

chuck&gail
05-28-2011, 12:50 PM
If that is the same as EZ-Lube, did you use an air grease gun? I've used a hand grease gun for years with no issues. Just nice slow pumps until grease appears around nipple.

I do pull one hub a year on our dual axle to check brake parts. I hand lube that hub on reassembly, other three hubs get greased via grease gun.

montana
05-28-2011, 03:42 PM
The second reply states the technique that the book instructs, also the book instructs to give the bearings complete grease job once a year. I always go by the book because people can come up with some wild ideas. If there has been a change of recommended maintenance to 2 squirts and grease every 12000 miles then keystone should rewrite their book to indicate the proper maintenance.

Jim W
05-29-2011, 07:24 AM
I used the Dexter Axle manuals for my trailers service needs. I have attached a copy for for reference. http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/6-8K_Service_Manual_3-11/600-8K_Complete_Service_Manual_3-11.pdf
I would review page 50 and page 56 for EZ lube axles. In fact on page 56 the manual caution you not to use a pneumatic powered grease gun.
Jim W.

montana
05-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks Jim W. Your using the same book I use. I followed their recommendations exactly. My dealership says never to use the easy-grease but it seams people on the internet uses it. Two pumps on the grease gun doesn’t tell you if any grease has gotten into the bearings and greasing until just a little comes out, “like the book says”, appears to be to much. Half-dozen shops tell me different stories how these axles need to be greased. I think all this confusion is because Dexter’s procedure doesn’t work well so everyone is trying to come up with independent solutions. I also think Dexter needs to do some testing on these axles and publish a standard greasing procedure for all the shops to follow.
Please, everyone, don’t refer to powered grease guns as I never said anything about using one… as recommended by Dexter.

ftwildernessguy
05-30-2011, 04:09 PM
So far I haven't used mine, but I have been tempted to squirt a little grease in a couple times.

GMcKenzie
05-31-2011, 05:29 AM
I pull mine apart and inspect every year. This trailer is the first one with the ez-lube and I only use it after looking at the bearings.

For a trailer like this, I don't see how it would lose grease during the year so I won't be greasing them unless I've looked first.

Dealer I bought the trailer from said he'd love to be able to rip the nipples off every trailer he sold because too many come back overpacked with grease on the brakes.

mhs4771
05-31-2011, 05:38 AM
I had a brake that was grease covered directly from the Factory. It appeared Dexter didn't get the grease seal seated properly. I will admit they supplied a replacement brake assembly at no charge. Per their service people, if you use the zerks, jack up the wheel and make sure you turn the wheel while slowly pumping in some grease.

campingcpl
05-31-2011, 06:54 AM
Our trailer has the AL-KO EZ-Lube axles and I usually just squirt grease in until it just starts to push out and I haven't had any problems with greasing the brakes as of yet.

RdRmr
07-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Use the Dexter manuel, if in fact they are Dexter. In Dexters book they also say to physicaly pull the wheels "every year" and do a visual inspection.
That system was designed for boat trailers to keep water out. How it found it's way onto trailers and 5TH wheels???? Marketing gimik I guess.
Too much grease is as bad as not enough, retains heat. Took all my wheels off, cleaned the spindles, hub cavitys and bearings then repacked by hand with red high temp wheel bearing grease. Three of the four wheels was leaking out the back through the seal (from the factory). Could have been a big problem if I would have let it go. Way too much grease was in there.
Just my thoughts.
Enjoy your travels.

Devildogmom
04-06-2012, 05:25 PM
My Montana has easy-grease axles, so I’m getting ready for a long trip, and it is time for grease job. I haven’t gone far since the last grease job so instead of spending 2 to 3 hours greasing I decide to use the easy-grease feature. I’m a mechanic and followed the directions closely. In about 100 miles I have no breaks so I pull into a dealer; my Montana was still under warranty. They pull the hubs and find grease soaked shoes. They try to sell me a brake job for hundreds of dollars. They said never use the easy-grease feature, when I asked them what the feature is for they said it is for marine use. My reply was, “does this mean that marine use doesn’t need breaks”?
I pulled the unit back home, washed the shoes clean. 3000 miles ago and all is well. They tried to rip-off the wrong person. I hear that they routinely sell brake jobs to people that use this feature. I’m wondering if Keystone uses this feature to keep the dealers rich! There is no other use for it that I can find.

What other maintenance does Keystone recommend that is detrimental?:confused::confused::confused:

Exsailor
06-02-2012, 09:02 AM
I find it hard to believe that over greasing is a problem. My manual says to use a hand pump and pump until grease comes out the seal, so that's what I do. If the seal will let out excess how can too much grease accumulate? I get that if you get carried away it could get on the brakes but I have never met a tech that would warn against too much grease. Back when we used to "repack" the bearings of old cars we would load it up. Is there a tech bulletin for this phenomenon?

Quiroule
06-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Is-there any way to know if some grease got to the brake, without taking of the hub of?

rjsurfer
06-09-2012, 03:23 AM
My grease seals have been damaged a few times causing grease to saturate the brake linings, that usually can cause squealing or grabby brakes on one wheel.

Rarely does that much grease blow through so you can see it exiting the sides of the drums.

I'm probably going to replace all my brake assemblies because even though I cleaned the linings with brake cleaner my brakes have never been the same since being contaminated.

Ron W.

mguay
06-09-2012, 04:47 AM

Call Dexter and explain the situation...you may get some parts in the mail