PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade AC vents

LeeMedic
05-28-2011, 04:27 AM
We own a Sprinter and the AC is vented in throughout the trailer. One thing we do not like about these vents is the inability to close them. You can rotate them, but now shut off the airflow in certain areas.

Are there any aftermarket vents that can be purchased for them?

hankpage
05-28-2011, 05:07 AM
The size of the vents are minimal for the out-put of the A/C unit. If you restrict the volume of air flow across the coil the unit may ice up.

That said ..... My last trailer (Layton) had registers that screwed in and out to allow less or more flow, so I assume they still are available from RV parts suppliers. Hope this helps, Hank

LeeMedic
05-28-2011, 04:13 PM
You are probably right about restricting flow and freezing up the coils. Something I have not thought about.

Bob Landry
05-28-2011, 04:38 PM
You will be wise to leave it as is. The roof-top units, both Coleman and Dometic are very sensitive to air flow. The ducting and grills are probably selected to provide minimum flow(AKA minimum cost to build).

ktmracer
05-29-2011, 07:43 AM
First thing to do is to take down the big A/C cover inside the trailer and make sure the box is sealed well (likely not, seal it with aluminum tape) and that the openings into the ducts are as big as they can be (probably aren't). That alone will help airflow a lot.

Next thing to do is to add another ceiling vent in the LR and BR. more than likely the a/c ducting is longer than needed and plenty of extra room to add a few extra vents

The above helped ours a great deal.

Lastly, once you have good airflow and some extra vents, pick up some vents that can be closed off if needed. Most RV stores/catalogs have several to choose from. Mine are called "airport" vents. they are nicer than factory in that the vents distribute air 360 degrees and can be easily adjusted to reduce airflow.