PDA

View Full Version : Fender and perimeter skirting support on travel trailers

busterbrown
05-22-2017, 07:02 PM
I was underneath my Bullet pull behind today and noticed one of the "thin metal fender braces" that keeps the plastic perimeter skirting in place (about 15 inches in length, 5/8 inch wide) broke in the middle. Now, the plastic skirting (next to the wheel fender skirting) is closer to the outer edge of the wheel, with a good chance of it rubbing. There are about 4 of these metal braces/supports along the under body of each side. Seems like all are cut individually at time of assembly and pushed upward (behind the skirting) by the discretion of the assembler in order to keep the wheel fenders and side skirting in alignment. Seems like it's all done by "eyeing" it vs "engineering" it.

So I need to replace the one that's broke and possibly replace the others with stiffer, more rigid metal bracing. Has anyone done this mod to beef up and secure the perimeter skirting? Here's one pic I found on the net. Top is the oem metal (probably aluminum) flexible brace. Bottom is the improved metal replacement.

sourdough
05-22-2017, 07:27 PM
The OEMs appear to me to be made from any scrap they can find and bend. I've used what looks like the new pieces in your pic. Aluminum stock that I can bend and form. Then I've made additional pieces to support the skirts and fenders......or, they will blow/fall off.

chuckster57
05-22-2017, 07:44 PM
Factory often uses what's known as screw rail. Loads of it at the factory, used on different seams, like front cap/ roof membrane.