PDA

View Full Version : Skirt screws

Craigidyllwild
05-02-2017, 01:30 PM
Anyone know what size the "square" head screws are that secure the fender skirt to the body of the 5ver? I'm missing one at the moment. They don't seem very secure...some of them may be stripped. I've put blue "Locktight" on them, so hopefully they won't back out again. But I would like to have some spares.

Thanks for any help.

Craig
Cougar 313RLI

bobbecky
05-02-2017, 02:18 PM
Here is one source:
http://www.rvplus.com/ap-products-screw-pan-head-square-recess-8-x-1-white-50-pk-012-psq50-w8x1.html

I also now use a speed nut when replacing loose or lost trim screws:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-8-32-Plain-Steel-Flat-Type-Speed-Nut-2-per-Pack-800108/204274186

sourdough
05-02-2017, 02:23 PM
The screws on the fenders are #2 Roberts, metal self tapping if I recall. They are notorious for loosening and falling out. There have been several threads on various ways to tighten them. I've used 8x32 speed nuts behind all of mine and they work. I also put finishing washers under the heads to prevent them from pulling through or cracking the plastic fender.

If your fenders are "split" as mine are and don't line up exactly, one portion acts as a funnel causing excessive vibration causing the screws to come loose. I had to fabricate additional supports to stop the vibration.

Add: In my experience blue Loctite won't last.

nellie1289
05-02-2017, 03:03 PM
Welcome to the club. Easily one of the worse designs of all time

Craigidyllwild
05-02-2017, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the replies....found them on Amazon in black...pricy, seems like rvplus only has white....seems strange...I'm going to call them tomorrow.

Todd727
05-02-2017, 08:17 PM
Take them all out and replace them with #8 stainless steel machine screws and a locking nut on the back. I've done this on my last two campers and never had a problem afterwards. For the screws that attach the fender skirting to a metal bracket, simply drill out that bracket. I use 3/4" long for the ones without brackets and 1" for the ones that attach to a bracket. 30 minute job.

notanlines
05-03-2017, 03:24 AM
Go with Todd's idea. Then it is a done deal at half the price than ordering online. And available at your local hardware store.

spdracr39
05-03-2017, 03:31 PM
I bought mine at Home Depot

JRTJH
05-03-2017, 04:18 PM
....found them on Amazon in black...pricy, seems like rvplus only has white...

I'd suggest just buying the "plain metal" ones. Stick the screws (or bolts if you go with nylocks) into a scrap of Styrofoam. A quick spray aimed at the heads of the screws with from a 99 cent can of Krylon spray paint in your choice of color and in about 20 minutes, they're ready to install. Much cheaper than buying the "custom color" but honestly, if you use the "plain metal" they aren't that noticeable anyway.....

Certainly no need to pay 3 or 4 times the price for "custom color"....