PDA

View Full Version : Warp dining table

kingji
05-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Went into my 2011 springdale fifthwheel after having not been in it in a while and noticed the moveable/colaspable dining table had warped downward in the center. I laid a straight edge lengthwise and it had about 1/4" drop in the middle. I called the dealer that I got it from and they order me a replacement top that I'll pick up in June. I asked him about just swapping my table for one out of one of his trailers in stock and he said he check and see what he had. He called me later and said the other tables also had a slight bow in the center but not as bad as mine. Looks like the table needs an additional support across the bottom of the table. I don't know if it's just a bad batch or what. Has anyone else ran into this issue.
Thanks
JK

Terrydactile
05-19-2011, 02:59 AM
Yep mine is the same way but worse than yours. It may be that this condition worsens over time as my table is in an 08 model and is low in the middle by 1/2". I plan on replacing it with one I will make out of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood. I will finish the raw edge with veneer strips.

antiqfreq
05-19-2011, 05:32 AM
My 2007 had a warp in it and still has a warp in it........
Don't know if the heat does that or what as we're from
Sunny South (very south) Florida...

Jo
:cool:

planecrazy
05-19-2011, 06:16 PM
We also have a 2011 springdale 5th.... have not noticed any change in the table but will be looking out for it. After removing the anti-freeze we noticed that the pump is quite noisy, we hope it is just that there is still air in the lines. Anyone have any problems with the pump?

kingji
05-22-2011, 05:21 PM
I've got a good friend that's in the counter top business. I may have to put a real top on it.

JRTJH
05-22-2011, 08:49 PM
The top on our table has a very slight warp. Not enough at this time to want to do anything about it. BUT..... When I convert the dinette to a bed, that table doesn't look sturdy enough to hold much weight. And, the location of the table puts it exactly where one would put the heaviest part of their body when sitting down on the edge to lay down.

Has anyone had any problmes with this arrangement breaking?

Terrydactile
05-23-2011, 03:02 AM
The top on our table has a very slight warp. Not enough at this time to want to do anything about it. BUT..... When I convert the dinette to a bed, that table doesn't look sturdy enough to hold much weight. And, the location of the table puts it exactly where one would put the heaviest part of their body when sitting down on the edge to lay down.

Has anyone had any problmes with this arrangement breaking?

Yep, I have had one crack before. I replaced it with one I made from 3/4" plywood. I used cabinet grade plywood and finished the top and edges. It looked really nice and I plan on replacing the one I have now by doing the same thing.

kingji
05-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Our old Dutchman had a couple of supports on the benches that the table set on when made into a bed. It would support at least 270#. If I have to replace the second factory top with one on my own i'll probably look at converting the Springdale into a similar set up but still utilize the movable stand.

kingji
07-25-2011, 06:43 PM
A customer service representative told me the tables are assembled in Indiana which apparently has a lot of humidity or at least more than west Texas and New Mexico. They ship the rv's out of Indiana to some of the dryer states and presto, they start the drying process (shrinking). I'm still working with Keystone to resolve the issue. The table top is only about 5/8" thick so it's going to be pretty likely to warp.
JK

gregrc75
07-31-2011, 06:03 AM
Been shopping for my new Bullet Premier the last several weeks. We considered the Outbacks and the Bullet Premier and every single unit we looked at, and at different dealers, we noticed all the tables were warped. These are in New England.

Bob Landry
07-31-2011, 06:42 AM
The edge trim on my table has a small spot where it pulled loose, but I'm not going to worry about it now. I'll keep an eye on mine and when it looks bad enough I'll build one out of cabinet grade plywood. Wilson Art has a great selection of laminate colors and it'll give me an excuse to redo the countertop with a really nice color. The table and the countertop are both made of particle board. Along with warping when it gets a litle bit wet, it's also heavier than plywood.

gregrc75
07-31-2011, 07:48 AM
I will not have my new trailer until tuesday so I cannot see the table right now. Could I use a couple of wood "studs" glued and screwed to the underside to straighten it out? Would the edging hide the extra support?

JRTJH
07-31-2011, 07:43 PM
My table is barely 1/2 inch thick, possibly 5/8's at the thickest, so I'm not sure you could do much screwing. Gluing and clamping might help, but me thinks it's too thin to hold screws.

kingji
08-04-2011, 01:46 PM
I believe it's going to be a combination of the material drying out and it being cheap material to start with. To me it resembles compressed card board.I'm going to pick up my new top tomorrow and put it back on the frame . I also have issues with the fold down SSR table frame. It's really unstable when up and I wouldn't trust it to make a bed on. I'm considering just welding all the pivoting points to solidify it and just forget about it being a part of a bed.
jk