PDA

View Full Version : Denver to Cedar City, UT.

locomech
03-26-2017, 04:44 PM
I'll be pulling our 27' passport along I-70 to I-15 going to Cedar City, Utah in about a month or so. I'm from the Midwest and have little experience pulling a trailer through the mountains. My tow vehicle is a 2013 F-150 eco-boost and it pulls the trailer quite well. What I'd like to know is what to expect as far as height and width restrictions along that route that I might encounter such as tunnels, bridges and such.

gkainz
03-26-2017, 05:06 PM
I-70 to I-15 has tunnels but nothing with any restrictions that would affect you. It's the normal route for semi traffic... be prepared for a few significant grades, a long pull westward out of Denver up the Eisenhower Tunnel, and again up over Vail Pass. Watch your downhill speeds and stay in a lower gear going downhill.

craign
03-26-2017, 05:37 PM
locomech,

We drove between Colorado Springs KOA and Cedar City, UT, in 2014 with a few stops in between. Our trailer is a Premier 22RBPR and the tow vehicle is a Toyota Tundra with tow package and the 5.7 liter engine. The uphill grade to the Eisenhower Tunnel was a non-issue, as the truck was easily up to the task. The downgrades were a concern since we had not driven downhill for these distances before. That being said, all went well, just watch your downhill speeds.

We used the "Next Exit" book to locate RV-friendly gas stations. For most of the stretch, there was nothing that fit the bill. At Vail Pass, we topped off the gas tank at a roadside rest using our 5 gallon gas cans that we brought on the trip. If we had taken the time to occasionally exit the interstate to find an RV-friendly gas station, we may have found something that would have worked out for us.

There should be no tunnel or road issues of concern. In fact, the view is fascinating for two people who grew up in the east. Don't forget to take pictures/videos as you descend from the mountains.

Once on I-15, watch your speed. As I remember, the speed limit is 85 mph. It seemed too easy to go too fast for the camper tires.

Enjoy the trip!

Craig

notanlines
03-27-2017, 05:32 PM
If I remember our miles through Colorado the maximum was 75, but even that was probably too fast for an old man towing a Raptor. Those of you with big trucks and Bullets can fly at 75 if you like.

66joej
03-27-2017, 05:49 PM
Interesting thing about those 85 MPH sections in Utah. Last time through there in 2013 we had a 5er running at 65 MPH we were passed by many many RVs going near that 85 mark. More nerve than I ever had.