PDA

View Full Version : One More Solar Panel Question

dherod
05-12-2011, 05:35 AM
Hi - I bought a 15W solar panel from Cabela's. It's not much - but I'm only looking to counteract the drain of the clock, detectors, etc - so it's a start.

I have 2 batteries wired in parallel. Question: Does it matter how I connect the leads from the panel to my batteries? With a common ground, that connection might not matter - but in terms of of the positive terminal - should I alternate between the two batteries daily....or....since they are in parallel, will the electricity generated by the panel 'automatically' flow to the second battery? I also purchased a charge controller.

Any thoughts? Thanks! Dan

Festus2
05-12-2011, 06:45 AM
You can connect the + terminal of one of the batteries to the + terminal of the panel and the - terminal of the same battery to the - terminal of the panel. There is no need to charge them separately - as you pointed out "the electricity will automatically flow to the second battery".
The 15W panel will not do much to bring up to charge a battery that is low or discharged. As you said, "it is a start".

dherod
05-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks Festus! Yes, I agree - 15W will not do a lot. This is our first trailer and we're used to tent camping with no electricity for days on end. So - if I can counteract the drain from the clock, detectors, etc - I'm hoping the batteries will last for awhile for the water pump and the occasional light at night. I have a generator on the wish list for next year.....sooner if this plan doesn't work haha!

Festus2
05-12-2011, 02:53 PM
I neglected to mention that with a small 15W solar panel, having a controller is not as crucial as it would be with a larger panel. It will provide a safeguard however. Hopefully, you will be able to find some sun to make the panel work! If you do, please let me know where you found it.
To counteract the drain on the battery as a result of detectors, etc., you can always pull the fuse from the inverter and that will eliminate any drain. A bit of a nuisance but it works.

chuck&gail
05-12-2011, 04:03 PM
I suspect only propane detector runs off TT battery, at least my other TT detectors use 9v batteries. So if you put a switch in series with propane detector.

Nope, can't say that, it is dangerous. I wonder how I lived this long, early TT's didn't HAVE a propane detector. Hmmmm.

Doubt if it makes a difference with 15 watts, but proper way is to connect solar from plus on one battery, to minus on OTHER battery.

GMcKenzie
05-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Doubt if it makes a difference with 15 watts, but proper way is to connect solar from plus on one battery, to minus on OTHER battery.

I think that's if you have 2 - 6 volts. For 2 - 12 volt you want it hooked up to one battery.

Remember a 15 watt panel is barely putting out 1 amp at best. About half what a trickle charger puts out so I wouldn't hold out for it to do much.