PDA

View Full Version : Prescriptions

GrandBob
03-11-2017, 10:04 AM
We are planning on going full time. We currently use the local Fred Meyer (Kroger) for prescriptions. We are wondering what other travelers use.
Thanks for your input.
Grandbob

sourdough
03-11-2017, 10:10 AM
I am not a fulltimer but we do move around a lot. I use a mail order prescription service with my Medicare Part D plan. We get 90 days supply and I order online. At that time I tell them where I want them to send it. I usually call to make sure because I don't trust their computer systems. Usually works well. Don't know that trying to do that using 30 day refills would be very convenient.

xrated
03-11-2017, 10:26 AM
I guess, depending on what's available wherever you are travelling, both Walmart and Walgreens Pharmacy can provide service in any location that they are located.

chuckster57
03-11-2017, 10:38 AM
I guess, depending on what's available wherever you are travelling, both Walmart and Walgreens Pharmacy can provide service in any location that they are located.
When we did our cross country in '09 the SIL went with us ( EXCELLENT cook) and we used Walgreens for her prescriptions that only had small refills.

Steve S
03-11-2017, 01:32 PM
I just get a 3 month refill on what I need but with narcotics I can only get 1 month at a time and have to go back to the Dr's which is a pia.:eek:
Now what the Dr does is just explains to the board that I'm away at my cabin for 4 months at a time and the closeses pharmacy is a 2 boat ride away and now they just fill it before I leave. :)

ctbruce
03-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Insurance really dictates whst your options are because not all insurances will let you fill wherever. That said staying with one of the national chains offers advantages. They can usually transfer your prescriptions seamlessly and keep track of all your insurance information as well. Avoid Mondays and early mornings and early evenings as those are times of high volume and low staffing. With insurance the cost is the same regardless of where you fill it. If you are a cash customer it pays to shop around and compare prices. You can look for coupons and deals on GoodRx.com too. Buying generics is smart and the savings can be big. If you can take what is on the $4 list do it. Many times this is less than what an insurance copay would be. It's your money. Spend it on you, not drugs.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

notanlines
03-11-2017, 02:29 PM
Bob, we travel way more than the average bear and when something comes up and there is no CVS or Target we just waltz on into Kroger or Walgreens and have them call our pharmacy. You simply have no problems whatsoever.

xrated
03-11-2017, 03:40 PM
Insurance really dictates whst your options are because not all insurances will let you fill wherever. That said staying with one of the national chains offers advantages. They can usually transfer your prescriptions seamlessly and keep track of all your insurance information as well. Avoid Mondays and early mornings and early evenings as those are times of high volume and low staffing. With insurance the cost is the same regardless of where you fill it. If you are a cash customer it pays to shop around and compare prices. You can look for coupons and deals on GoodRx.com too. Buying generics is smart and the savings can be big. If you can take what is on the $4 list do it. Many times this is less than what an insurance copay would be. It's your money. Spend it on you, not drugs.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312

You wrote that ^^^^^ like you might know a thing or two about it! :D

ctbruce
03-11-2017, 04:24 PM
Yep 35 years of doing this has its advantages.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312

Mandolin
03-22-2017, 03:06 PM
We are planning on going full time. We currently use the local Fred Meyer (Kroger) for prescriptions. We are wondering what other travelers use.
Thanks for your input.
Grandbob

I usually fill mine at Freds and I asked at the pharmacy and they said any Kroger can fill them. When we were in Tucson, that was Fry's Grocery (not to be confused with Fry's Electronics).

My scripts have to be re-written once a year and require blood work to be sure that everything is working correctly. Since I am still on ACA insurance as issued in my state, I doubt I could go to a doctor's office in another state and get the scripts refilled (well, without paying the full ticket, anyway).

theeyres
03-22-2017, 07:12 PM
Walgreens. We tried Walmart when full-timing but got sick of the lines and people that didn't know what they were doing. Walgreens is always professional, usually short lines and fast service. Once in awhile when there was no Walgreens we could always get what we needed at any of the big chains.

CaptnJohn
03-22-2017, 07:33 PM
My wife uses a mail order or Walgreens through BC/BS. All mine ordered online through the VA. Very easy.

Alpine
03-22-2017, 07:44 PM
We have the Kroger/Fred Meyer prescription plan. Just look on line for all the Kroger affiliate stores! We have been fulltime for four years without a hitch.

Fry's, Smith's, Ralph's, QFC, Baker's, Food-4-Less etc., etc.

Download the Kroger app for locations near you... while you are traveling.