PDA

View Full Version : columbia SC to Macon GA

frankyb01
02-22-2017, 07:52 AM
Okay, so my wife and I are going to be taking our first really long trip this fall. I'll be traveling from Delaware to Houston TX. We're leaving Delaware on the 14th october. I have my route pretty much picked out. Except for may be to nights along the way we're planning on staying at military bases that have RV camps. The one's we have picked out allow reservasions, so we shouldn't have too many surprises with availability along the way. The only part of the route I'm not completely set on yet is the leg from Columbia to Macon GA. There doesn't seem to be any major direct route other than using numerous secondary roads across Georgia. I really want to avoid Atlanta altogether. So I'm looking for any advice or suggestions for getting across Georgia. This is going to be a month long trip, with two weeks spent in Houston visiting my brother and his family. We're figuring about 8 days traveling each way so that my DW will still be able to move well enough to get out of the truck at the end of each day. Thanks in advance. :confused:

gearhead
02-22-2017, 08:20 PM
I've looked at that as well, with no great route found. It's all back roads, which is OK with me.
Or, just go through Atlanta and consider it practice for Houston.

notanlines
02-23-2017, 03:36 AM
Okay, did the state of Georgia close down I-20 or did I miss something in this question? Or are you asking where to drive AFTER you get to Macon?

frankyb01
02-23-2017, 06:07 AM
Actually, I will be on I-20 from Columbia SC to Agusta GA. I want to get off of I-20 there and pick a somewhat more direct route to Macon, rather than continue on I-20 to Atlanta, and then backtrack south and east to get to Macon. I can tell from looking at the maps that it will be all secondary state roads. I was just wondering if anybody knows of a preferred route in that area. I'm towing a 40 ft fifth wheel. As far as leaving macon It looks like state route 80 will take me west to where I can pick the interstates back up.

notanlines
02-23-2017, 07:30 AM
Frankie, we have towed from Macon to Montgomery on US 80. We really have no complaints on the road. Part is four lane and some is 2 lane.

TravlinOn
02-23-2017, 07:39 AM
For a route from Augusta to Macon, you might want to look in the "Motor Carriers' Road Atlas" map for GA. This will give you a route that is not likely to go through towns with narrow "town squares" to navigate around and/or low bridges to go under.

Barbell
02-23-2017, 08:44 AM
We have towed from Savannah thru Dublin, GA; cut off I-16 to miss Macon and generally followed US 80 to just East of Meridian, MS. Partially divided and generally a good road. Don't recall any tight spots. From there you can jog South to I-12 and I-10 toward Houston. Few weeks ago, we came thru Atlanta with no problems at all. Obviously you don't do that during rush hour; mid day as we did or mid night. Towing a Montana with our DRW Ram. Sorry; can't help you from Columbia to Macon. The Motor Carriers' Atlas is good source for low clearances.

gearhead
04-01-2017, 12:44 PM
I'm going opposite direction...Houston to Columbia SC and then to Richmond VA. Looks like 80 and 129/44 will work to cut the top of the Atlanta triangle off.

gearhead
04-02-2017, 06:32 AM
I think we will avoid Atlanta. With the road closure on the north side at I-85 and 400 I'm thinking there could be some issues.