PDA

View Full Version : A/C Anchor Bolts Loose

Me.Bikes.Dogs
04-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Hi All,

I pulled the interior cover off my A/C unit today just to take a look at what is behind all that plastic. Glad I did. I discovered three of the four anchor bolts that go from the interior plate to the unit on the roof weren't doing a thing. They had loosened a 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so. Those four bolts are what anchor the A/C unit to the roof. Without them I'd have a sunroof instead of an A/C unit. I haven't had any water leakage or A/C problems but I was glad I discovered this now before anything bad happened.

On another note, has anyone come up with an A/C filter improvement? My unit has a thin cell-foam filter (about 6x14 inches). Being a fulltimer with 2 dogs the thing gets dirty in a hurry (which is good). Because it's an open-cell foam filter I worry about what it isn't catching that is getting to the coils and over time will reduce it's efficiency. Anybody improve on this?

Handysam
04-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Kent how long have you had the unit? and how many miles have you traveled with the unit. It makes me think I should check mine. In regards to the filter, there are many different filters that could work to catch more dirt, but I would be afraid to choke the A/C unit. I just clean mine more often. Sunroof? Hmmmmmmmm......

Me.Bikes.Dogs
04-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Hey Handysam, I have a 2010 with maybe a couple thousand miles on it. I bought it earlier this year.

hankpage
04-28-2011, 06:15 PM
There is a foam rubber seal on the A/C. The bolts are supposed to be just snugged enough to make a seal. If you over-tightened them the seal may have to be replaced. This should be explained in the manual for your A/C unit under maintenance. Check your manual to see how to secure it correctly. JM2¢, Hank ..... If you search the forum you may find more info.

Me.Bikes.Dogs
04-28-2011, 06:30 PM
In my case the bolts were floppy loose.

Flyguy
04-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Here's a manual for you to look over. Pay attention to the highlighted areas as they tell you about those bolts and their torque values. http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Air%20Conditioning/579%20Series%20AC%20(2).pdf