PDA

View Full Version : So, where will you be wintering this year?

Movin' on
08-26-2016, 05:08 AM
Just thought it would be fun to hear where some fellow snowbirds are heading to for the winter.

The DW and I will be heading for the southwest. We don't plan too far ahead, but we do know we'll be spending some time in Fredericksburg TX, Las Cruces NM, Sierra Vista AZ, Cottonwood AZ, maybe Page AZ again. Then on the return trip, anything goes. We'll plan that route depending on the weather. We have had to change course to avoid storms of all kinds.

Who knows, maybe we'll meet somewhere along the line. Hope so! :)

notanlines
08-26-2016, 06:18 AM
Yep, it is coming close to that time again. We are leaving for a west coast and Canadian swing next week, but will be headed back to Florida the week after Thanksgiving. We would try the southwest, but the DW can't seem to figure out where the beach is.....

Jim & DJ
08-26-2016, 08:00 AM
Apache Junction, AZ
November thru March......

Desert185
08-26-2016, 08:17 AM
Hopefully spending some time in my shop finishing my El Camino and then down to the Tucson area for an incredible meal at the Guadalajara Original Grill on Prince and time on the beach with no water. "bouncey:

hankpage
08-26-2016, 08:51 AM
It's a tough life, but we force ourselves to summer at the Jersey Shore and winter on the Gulf Coast of Florida. Ohhh the sacrifices we make in retirement.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_210442_0_e52b00a14c45a382d139718d79547caf.jpg

Movin' on
08-27-2016, 12:46 PM
It's a tough life, but we force ourselves to summer at the Jersey Shore and winter on the Gulf Coast of Florida. Ohhh the sacrifices we make in retirement.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_210513_0_e52b00a14c45a382d139718d79547caf.jpg

No doubt it's tough, but someone has to do it! :D

CaptnJohn
08-27-2016, 04:56 PM
We spend summer in our sticks & bricks at the beach while the CGs are full and busy. As soon as school starts up again in Sept we head exploring from LA to Ohio. After the holidays we have a 2 month FL reservation then it is exploring again until school lets out for summer.

Hideout17
08-27-2016, 06:34 PM
Florida from November till march....

B-O-B'03
08-29-2016, 02:43 PM
Yep, it is coming close to that time again. We are leaving for a west coast and Canadian swing next week, but will be headed back to Florida the week after Thanksgiving. We would try the southwest, but the DW can't seem to figure out where the beach is.....

Plenty of "beach" in the southwest... just not much water :D

I can't wait to become one of the retired... my company just laid off ~5500 and I was hoping for an offer to retire... no such luck.

Once it happens though, I plan to spend a lot of time touring the good ole USA.

-Brian

roadglide
09-01-2016, 08:46 PM
The trip to Fredricksburg was amazing right after the 2015 storms there was miles of rvs scattered along the river . The 3 twisted sisters is a bike ride. DF and I normally take Q in az cheap BLM camping for the RV jamboree. The Parker resort is on the agenda for 2017.

roadglide
09-01-2016, 08:57 PM
11158The Rat Rally was going in Austin that next week end but poor old texas was getting ready for another Hurricane. the pic was at fredericksburg Texas.

concours
09-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Leaving Oct 20th and travelling down thru the Zion Park area for 3 weeks then we will settle at Golden Village Palms in Hemet CA for 4 months this will be our 3rd winter there

Richard Noble
09-03-2016, 01:37 PM
Last two days in Oct. at Mesquite, NV to de-winterize, then on to Rancho California near Temecula, CA Nov. thru March.

Normally we go to Tonopah, AZ for 5 months but a huge chicken/egg farm is just across the street and the stench is unbelievable!

Williston324
09-03-2016, 02:58 PM
Oct 9th head out for SW Florida with Quilt Shop stops in Hamilton, MO and Paducah KY. Four nights at Fort deSoto to enjoy the beach and then set up inland from Ft Myers, near LaBelle for the winter. Will holiday for two weeks in Feb in the Keys at Long Key SP then back to our base outsde of LaBelle until mid April. We don't "do" Ontario winter weather very well any more!

roadglide
09-03-2016, 03:06 PM
Florida from November till march....

Hideout I have though about Florida but I hear nothing good about it. Is there any BlM land for camping ? It would be a month in florida because my Elephant butte N M climate is a snow bird area so its just travel for me. If you could post a link of some areas .

Desert185
09-03-2016, 05:46 PM
Leaving Oct 20th and travelling down thru the Zion Park area for 3 weeks then we will settle at Golden Village Palms in Hemet CA for 4 months this will be our 3rd winter there

The PF Chang's at the big shopping center on Winchester in Temecula just down the road from Hemet is outstanding. When I contracted in that area we would eat at Chang's 2-3 times a week. :thumbsup:

Tbristol
09-05-2016, 09:38 AM
Arcadia, Florida November to April

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

tom37
09-05-2016, 06:05 PM
Fort Pierce. Fla. = Nov. 1st. to Mar. 1st..

roadglide
09-06-2016, 03:45 PM
Arcadia, Florida November to April

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk My fiancee said she has been to Arcadia visiting her cousin. I checked good sam for camping there rates where close to 100 a night at Arcadia .

Tbristol
09-06-2016, 04:02 PM
My fiancee said she has been to Arcadia visiting her cousin. I checked good sam for camping there rates where close to 100 a night at Arcadia .
There 5 Rv parks in the Arcadia area. Some are very expensive some are not. All of them the rates are cheaper for more months you stay. The place we stay is 2200.00 for 5 months. I don't know what any of them charge per night. I think 100 sounds kinda high though. Even for the expensive place.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

roadglide
09-07-2016, 12:51 PM
There 5 Rv parks in the Arcadia area. Some are very expensive some are not. All of them the rates are cheaper for more months you stay. The place we stay is 2200.00 for 5 months. I don't know what any of them charge per night. I think 100 sounds kinda high though. Even for the expensive place.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk I looked again for that 100 a night rv park at Arcadia but only seen Good Sams reasonable priced.

Mandolin
10-12-2016, 09:07 PM
Not exactly "snowbirding" but we will be in Tucson for a couple weeks in February, We've never been, we have no idea what it will be like. We do know someone who transferred down there for work, so we will at least have a contact.

We will be staying in the KOA just because it was easy to make advance reservations. We're in Southern Oregon, so we plan 2 over nights to get there and then however many we feel like on the way back (I tend to be "horse back to barn" on the way home).

Movin' on
10-21-2016, 04:57 AM
Not exactly "snowbirding" but we will be in Tucson for a couple weeks in February, We've never been, we have no idea what it will be like.

My guess is.......... you'll love it. :D

CWSWine
10-21-2016, 07:35 AM
Not exactly "snowbirding" but we will be in Tucson for a couple weeks in February, We've never been, we have no idea what it will be like. We do know someone who transferred down there for work, so we will at least have a contact.

We will be staying in the KOA just because it was easy to make advance reservations. We're in Southern Oregon, so we plan 2 over nights to get there and then however many we feel like on the way back (I tend to be "horse back to barn" on the way home).

We will be there the month of Feb and staying at Lazydays KOA...

Lic0rice
10-21-2016, 02:52 PM
Mid-January till mid-April in Steinhatchee, FL. Soooo looking forward to a warm(er) winter!!

Richard Noble
10-22-2016, 04:21 PM
Had to change our plans. Originally we were going to Rancho California but the guy who had promised to have a site for us backed out (at the last minute and I hope karma bites him hard) so we are now going to Sunlake RV Resort in El Centro, CA. Their web site looks great.

notanlines
10-22-2016, 05:58 PM
LicOrice, better bring your long pants and sweat shirts......

Alpine
10-22-2016, 09:19 PM
Had to change our plans. Originally we were going to Rancho California but the guy who had promised to have a site for us backed out (at the last minute and I hope karma bites him hard) so we are now going to Sunlake RV Resort in El Centro, CA. Their web site looks great.

Sorry to hear you had to change plans! Have you stayed at Rancho California? We were there January thru March and really enjoyed the location. So close to San Diego, Palms Spring and the Anza Borrego Desert. We canceled our reservations for 2017 due to a family medical issue.

http://www.fairwayassociatesonline.com/Fairwayassociatesonline.com/1.RENTAL_SITES/1.RENTAL_SITES.html

roy 24689
10-23-2016, 05:00 AM
have to put my 2 cents in to quartzsite az for the winter for us full timers.nice and warm winters.

Mandolin
10-26-2016, 11:08 AM
My guess is.......... you'll love it. :D

Thanks - we plan to use the time to look around at other possibilities in the area, the KOA was the "safe" (ie: lots of reviews saying the same thing, pretty clear what to expect) choice without having been there before.

Richard Noble
10-26-2016, 05:13 PM
Alpine : No, we did not stay at Rancho California but we did visit it in March of this year. That is when we made an agreement to rent space #8 for five months. We did not put any money down and we had been told we did not need to. Our brother-in-law did reserve a site but a few months later it was sold out from under him. Contract did allow that to happen. He was able to get another site but we no longer trust the Park so we are going on down south.

gearhead
10-28-2016, 06:11 PM
Guess I'll stay right here and "hold down the fort". Watch the TV weather people go nuts if we have a freeze. Probably do some fishing and yard work. Go "up north" in January to Tulsa for the Chili Bowl.
The question is where will I spend August? We need to visit the sisters new summer house in Angel Fire NM. Then maybe to Pagosa Springs or Vallecito Colorado. Unless: we decide to do New England and catch a race up there; or we have a new grandbaby. Or, I do my HWY287 adventure: Port Arthur TX to Browning Montana.

roadglide
10-30-2016, 12:46 PM
If we freeze where still in the 80 here south NM . It's about geographical location not so for you and I. Drag up and go to Quartz site AZ Jan and feb . Go place for jeep,atv and Harley's ride to imperial springs .

kimbashaw
12-28-2016, 05:27 PM
Next year will be our first snowbird experience. Looking at the Labelle FL area. Any suggestions? Would like a park with fairly reliable wifi and over the air tv reception for the networks.

Eastham
09-01-2017, 05:24 PM
NOKOMIS FL .Nov until beginning of may.

Alpine
09-01-2017, 09:32 PM
We will be staying here December 2017 through April 2018! Perfectly located between San Diego & Palm Springs!

Give this video a look-see...

https://www.ranchorvresort.com/

CrazyCain
09-02-2017, 03:14 AM
We keep our Hideout up in East Tawas Michigan at the City Park CG, and go up every other weekend for a few days. Have use of shore power and the bath house!! Great winter get away..

:)

fixn2gocamp
09-02-2017, 03:39 AM
We will be staying at Hondo Texas; west of San Antonio....luckily winter there is very short. About 2 weeks, but we'll stay a month or two, just to plan the next 9 month trip. :lol:

roadglide
09-09-2017, 02:53 PM
Same thing this year again Quartzsite Az , I wanted to visit south Texas will hold off on that. I'll bet we'll see more snow birds around south Az this year , it will depend on what happens when hurricane Irma will do to Florida, maybe there will be a miracle and save Florida.

notanlines
09-09-2017, 03:29 PM
Regardless of outcome we will be back at Clewiston, Florida. They will need our money. They've been good to us, we don't plan to bail on them.

Traveler2017
09-14-2017, 06:16 PM
Will be spending the winter just west of El Centro, California at the Rio Bend RV Resort. Spent last winter there and really enjoyed ourselves.

Cheers

ptooti
10-03-2017, 09:22 PM
Our new trailer won't be in time for snow birding :( ....this was my yard last year hope it wont be a repeat! https://ealingpc.com/ealingpc/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/mybackyard-e1507094704744.jpg]

Tinner12002
10-04-2017, 02:40 AM
Until my sweetie retires in a yr or so I guess were stuck here in Indiana to play on the snow and ice....You all have fun and safe travels for your winter adventurers!!

Drydays
10-04-2017, 07:09 AM
What the heck is that in your yard.. ? you have big birds? AZ for us, maybe MX.

Voyager
10-04-2017, 07:38 AM
Will be heading to Baja.

hitchikerman
10-18-2017, 08:07 AM
Hope to find a place in Fort Myers area still looking as I type this. Would like to go to Sadona AZ but the wifey does not want to go that far

Drydays
10-19-2017, 07:15 AM
Hope to find a place in Fort Myers area still looking as I type this. Would like to go to Sadona AZ but the wifey does not want to go that far

Sedona, AZ is only half way to my place, meetcha there..:D
Actually we will be in Apache Junction for a month + 1/2 then to 29 Palms Ca , for 2.5 months..
have a safe a great season..

chuck

Movin' on
10-23-2017, 04:05 PM
The DW and I recently bought a house in southern AZ, so we'll be staying home this winter :D. I started this thread, and it has been very interesting to hear where all you folks are going and coming from. Back in 1975 I took my first trip west, living in my Chevy Van, and fell in love with the southwest and have been dreaming of living out here ever since. It's taken a long time working through other commitments but finally I can say I'm living the dream!!

Safe travels to you all as you head for your winter destinations. Hope we meet along the way. :)

Joe

notanlines
10-23-2017, 04:43 PM
Joe, there is a part of DW and I that envy you and momma. We (yes and the dog) dearly love Bisbee and surrounding area. The entire business district other than the Copper Queen Hotel is seriously dog-friendly. All the bars we went into told us it was imperative that we bring in the dog.
Our only problem was finding our way to the beach. When you cruise through southern Florida be sure to stop for lunch!:D

concours
10-26-2017, 07:11 AM
We leave on Nov.2nd back to Golden Village Palms in Hemet CA this will be our 4th winter there:)

Slapshoot
10-27-2017, 05:10 PM
Sigh....in the frozen north!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

labman
11-27-2017, 09:38 AM
We will be there the month of Feb and staying at Lazydays KOA...

Same thing. Month of Feb. Wanted Rincon west but they required two month minimum.......It'll be nicer than Minnesota in February however.:popcorn:

Frank G
11-27-2017, 07:32 PM
Puled into Travelers Rest, Dade City Florida this October for the season.

Movin' on
12-22-2017, 05:07 PM
Joe, there is a part of DW and I that envy you and momma. We (yes and the dog) dearly love Bisbee and surrounding area. The entire business district other than the Copper Queen Hotel is seriously dog-friendly. All the bars we went into told us it was imperative that we bring in the dog.
Our only problem was finding our way to the beach. When you cruise through southern Florida be sure to stop for lunch!:D

Jim, We were at Bisbee today for lunch, had one of the best burgers I've had in my life at "The Table", across the street from the Mining Museum. Next time you're in southeastern AZ, lunch is on me! :thumbsup:

B-O-B'03
12-22-2017, 09:06 PM
Our new trailer won't be in time for snow birding :( ....this was my yard last year hope it wont be a repeat! https://ealingpc.com/ealingpc/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/mybackyard-e1507094704744.jpg]

Man, I am sooo thankful my father was transferred, from Canada to Texas, when I was a kid.

I do not miss that stuff at all, I remember poking in the snow, with a broom handle, looking for the car and then having to dig it out when we found it.... We would open the back door of the house and the snow would be deeper than the top of the door.

-Brian

nolamontgomery5738
08-26-2018, 08:36 AM
This is our first winter as "Snowbirds", we're taking off Sept 7th with stops in Idaho Falls, Idaho (warranty work), Salt Lake City, Utah (visit with sister), Kanab, Utah (National Parks), Sedona, Az, Albuquerque, NM with our final winter destination at Indian Skies Resort, Coolidge Az starting October 1st. Be there 4 to 6 months depending on "winter weather". Plan is to check out the Phoenix/Touson areas for Winter 2019.