PDA

View Full Version : 5th wheel hitch

hoffbrew
04-26-2011, 07:44 AM
What product do I use to keep the handle/lock moving smoothly? When I connect or disconnect the 5er from the hitch it is "sticky" not smooth. I put some water proof grease on the handle and the "claw" part but still not smooth and quick.

Me.Bikes.Dogs
04-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Is it sticky when you don't have the pressure of the trailer on it?

hoffbrew
04-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Not sure, how would you get the hitch to close without trailer pin going into hitch? When i back up and pin goes to hitch it use to slam that arm closed, now it just goes in slow and when I disconnect i have to pull so hard I come off the ground!! There is no pressure on either hitch or pin of trailer, this is not my first time and driving me crazy!!!

Me.Bikes.Dogs
04-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Wow, that sounds like more than just a lubrication problem. Might have some rust or other build-up in there or something got bent. I'd give the manufacturer a call.

bsldallas
04-26-2011, 04:51 PM
I have a highjacker I took wd-40 sprayed inside the slides. That cleaned the grease off. Then I just sprayed lithium grease on it where I couldn't grease it.
Helped me out a lot...:D

Jim W
04-27-2011, 04:11 AM
Not sure, how would you get the hitch to close without trailer pin going into hitch? When i back up and pin goes to hitch it use to slam that arm closed, now it just goes in slow and when I disconnect i have to pull so hard I come off the ground!! There is no pressure on either hitch or pin of trailer, this is not my first time and driving me crazy!!!

What style/brand of hitch do you have? I would look into down loading the O & M guide for that model, if one is available. I would also take the receiver off of the stand and flip it over check that nothing is bent and or all of the springs are in place.
There could also be dirt (mud) built up in the receiver box that is causing issues. Just some thoughts.
Jim W

Ruffus
04-27-2011, 04:43 AM
I take my hitch off once a year and scrub it with a degreaser then hit it with a pressure washer. After that I blow it off with high pressure air and when it's dry I lube it with Lithium grease.

hoffbrew
04-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Mine is the Hijacker Ultra 24-UK-21, I will take it out this weekend and clean the !@#$ out of it and go from there. I do keep a pleather cover over it when not in use but.....

KenBob
05-02-2011, 07:04 PM
I purchased a 20K Reese used and disassembled it and cleaned and lubed all pivot points. Inspected the pins and snap rings as well for wear. It took about an hour. Used lithium grease. Now I know what a new hitch should work like. I also was amazed how simple a 5er hitch is. I will do this regularly as blowing sand can get into everything.

More info:

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23818525/gotomsg/23818682.cfm