PDA

View Full Version : Our ROADS ARE HORRIBLE,!

dfb
05-02-2016, 06:25 AM
Everywhere we have travelled, the roads are potholed, rutted, cracked etc.. On a few trips interior damage was done to our fifth wheel. Once, the wood trim over the slide and curtains came down. On our last trip, the satelite receiver came down from its mount and the speaker for the entertainment center came down.
It seems with all the gas tax money collected by the powers that be the roads should be gold!. I10 in Louisiana was real bad. We need to contact our governors and demand these roads are repaired, replaced et,. If the road taxes on gas go anywhere else than to the roads, then our politicians are stealing from us who use the roads. We need to DEMAND THE roads are kept in excellent condition!...

Mike484
05-02-2016, 06:28 AM
Just traveled I-10 through Louisiana, went to Florida and back. The road is terrible, hoping I dont find any damage.

dcg9381
05-02-2016, 06:38 AM
Roads everywhere are bad. Especially up north, where freezing water can really impact things.

Your best bet is to secure everything in the trailer like all roads are going to be horrible. We're still working on improving the oem cabinet "locks" which have been the cause of many a failure.

Balancing tires will help.

We now have so many roads that the "gas tax" can't keep up.

JRTJH
05-02-2016, 06:49 AM
Gentlemen,

This thread is on a "fine line" between politics and RVing road conditions. Please review the forum rules and abide by the "no politics allowed" portion.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_forum_rules

GaryWT
05-02-2016, 07:05 AM
I agree roads are bad. Travel mostly in New England and a little in the NY area. When they get as bad as some are it takes longer to fix them and the roads during construction are worse, especially around bridges where they scrape up to the bridge and leave a "speed bump" on the highway.

Good luck to all and hope that all our trailers arrive safely.

dcg9381
05-02-2016, 10:33 AM
Edited my "election" commentary to comply with rules.

Ken / Claudia
05-02-2016, 04:16 PM
Several years ago a article came out here in Oregon. 40% of the gas tax here goes into the road.

CaptnJohn
05-02-2016, 05:06 PM
I-95 in SC and FL really sux...

theeyres
05-02-2016, 08:08 PM
Try I-10 in western Texas. Signs everywhere saying to use left lane only for passing but all the trucks drive in the left lane because the road is so bad. We drove all over the entire US when full-timing on interstate and back roads and this stretch was by far the worst. I know complaining here does no good but it still helps to vent a little.

chuckster57
05-02-2016, 08:23 PM
The highway I use to commute on everyday was terrible. Pot holes big enough to throw a car out of alignment. Major truck route. Two weeks ago I noticed they fixed about 2 miles of the worst 5. Guess out here we actually spending money on roads.

byrdr1
05-03-2016, 04:31 AM
I-95 in SC and FL really sux...

So does I-85 in NC and SC..
randy

gearhead
05-03-2016, 04:09 PM
Try I-10 in western Texas. Signs everywhere saying to use left lane only for passing but all the trucks drive in the left lane because the road is so bad. We drove all over the entire US when full-timing on interstate and back roads and this stretch was by far the worst. I know complaining here does no good but it still helps to vent a little.

Been awhile since I've been west. If it's worse than east Texas, it IS bad.
If the right lane is a disaster and the signs say "left lane for passing only", I don't care, I drive in the left lane. Trucks can pass me on the right if they want to. Trooper can right me a ticket if he wants to, I'll be back in the left lane.

vampress_me
05-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Has anyone driven I-80 across Nebraska lately? Debating heading west thru there again. Last time we were that way headed to a Broncos game a few years ago I swore I could let go of the steering wheel and the ruts would keep us heading in the right direction just fine so I'm curious if they've improved it at all.

chris199
05-24-2016, 02:35 PM
I78 between Allentown and Harrisburg is brutal. Right lane is "Truck worn". It's like you're riding waves....up/down with holes mixed in to add to the adventure. Try to use the left/flat lane as much as possible.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

66joej
12-10-2016, 08:11 AM
Try the #1 Trans Canada hiway through Northwestern Ontario. In the spring with the frost heaves it's unbelievable.

Desert185
12-11-2016, 10:18 AM
If its an "I" for Interstate its a federal issue. Without getting into politics, perhaps making the roads great again will be a bigger emphasis next year.

Generally speaking, I do find it odd that the gas tax and fuel price in adjoining Kalifornia is more than in Nevada, yet the roads in NV are in noticeably better shape when immediately crossing the border. That used to be the reverse a number of years ago.

As much as I like TX, San Antonio and Houston have some of the worst roads and highways I have ever experienced...along with cheap fuel.

Meanwhile, good tires, good shocks and crossed fingers are the best we can do.

CWSWine
12-11-2016, 10:47 AM
What grips me is when I pay toll to drive on the road and worse then the highways without a toll.

roadglide
12-12-2016, 08:11 AM
I agree about I 10 west texas being miserable. Some drivers look at me pulling my rig close to the right shoulder white lining but I have found the road is better and my rig tracks good, It has become a habit pulling this way and I'm comfortable.

m&m
12-14-2016, 12:13 PM
Just put our rig in for repairs. The bumps, pot holes etc are real bad. One campground had speed bumps that tore up our rig. Lost the sliding door, and another door off the hinge. Soil here makes it very hard to do roads or repairs.

Dave W
12-16-2016, 07:38 AM
After doing our usual late summer/early fall 8000 mile trip, with a great many of those on interstates, can say that the worst we encountered were NY I-88, entire length with only a few good miles. I-81, Binghamton to the I-78 junction was/is atrocious. I-10 across Louisiana made even bumpy I-10 in West Texas look great. AZ 64 from I-40 (Williams, AZ) to Grand Canyon wasn't too great either. Others were as bad in places but not the mile after mile of those mentioned.

Each state is responsible for the condition of whatever interstate passes through not the federal government. All those shovel ready jobs and the billions of dollars committed ..... never did see anything actually done beyond those expensive signs being put up:confused:.

notanlines
12-16-2016, 02:54 PM
I have often wondered if the people in Birmingham AND Jackson, Mississippi think that their roads are normal and they've never travelled elsewhere or what? Those two cities have had TERRIBLE interstates for many, many years not just recently.

Desert185
12-16-2016, 03:53 PM
After doing our usual late summer/early fall 8000 mile trip, with a great many of those on interstates, can say that the worst we encountered were NY I-88, entire length with only a few good miles. I-81, Binghamton to the I-78 junction was/is atrocious. I-10 across Louisiana made even bumpy I-10 in West Texas look great. AZ 64 from I-40 (Williams, AZ) to Grand Canyon wasn't too great either. Others were as bad in places but not the mile after mile of those mentioned.

Each state is responsible for the condition of whatever interstate passes through not the federal government. All those shovel ready jobs and the billions of dollars committed ..... never did see anything actually done beyond those expensive signs being put up:confused:.

You're correct. I found this:

"One thing the landmark 1956 Act did not do was provide for maintenance of the Interstate highways. This is not surprising. Since the Federal-aid highway program began in 1916 under President Woodrow Wilson, the States had been responsible for maintenance based on the concept that the States own and operate the roads. Because the Interstate routes were to be owned by the States and built by the State highway agencies (with Federal funding assistance and oversight), the 1956 Act retained the long-standing premise that the States would maintain the new highways."

Any further comment by me would be banned as being political...;)

gearhead
12-19-2016, 06:00 AM
I have often wondered if the people in Birmingham AND Jackson, Mississippi think that their roads are normal and they've never travelled elsewhere or what? Those two cities have had TERRIBLE interstates for many, many years not just recently.

I second that. There is a section in Birmingham that is brutal. Dang if I can ever remember where. I seem to find myself on it every year.
We just went to a family Christmas party in Louisiana. Dang if they didn't re-pave a section of US190 between Kinder and Dequincy. Overloaded log trucks had it rutted as bad as any road I have ever seen.
But those whoop de doos on eastbound I-10 just west of Lake Charles are still there.

SUnderwood
12-23-2016, 09:16 PM
I haven't seen 1 comment about I40 thru Arkansas , is it that much better or the others that bad ?

JRTJH
12-23-2016, 11:00 PM
I haven't seen 1 comment about I40 thru Arkansas , is it that much better or the others that bad ?

The last time we travelled from Little Rock to Memphis, we actually got off I 40 and used the feeder routes/state highway system. That was in 2015, so it may be improved now, but if not, I'd completely avoid it. Almost reminds me of I 10 through the Atchafalaya Swamp, from Lafayette to Baton Rouge. I hear that I 10 west of Sulphur is now a "close second" to that stretch of highway.... We're definitely in need of an infrastructure rebuild, not only the interstate system, but that would be an excellent place to start !!!

Dave W
12-24-2016, 03:56 AM
Unfortunately, that crumbling infrastructure rebuild would/will cost giga bucks and we only need to look at that batch of paperwork we send to our respective (not always the best word) state and federal government by April 15th to see how much added pain each of us would incur. Anything else I could say about that would be seen as political and cost me another admonishment:hide:

CaptnJohn
12-24-2016, 09:19 AM
The interstate highways have been "shovel ready" projects for more than a decade. We notice as we drive over these roads especially on vacation. Now, if we took all our family and friends at no cost by plane on very expensive vacations we would not know that and would not care. FORE!

JRTJH
12-24-2016, 11:09 AM
The interstate highways have been "shovel ready" projects for more than a decade. We notice as we drive over these roads especially on vacation. Now, if we took all our family and friends at no cost by plane on very expensive vacations we would not know that and would not care. FORE!

Well stated observation !!!!! There's a "WHOLE GREAT NATION" between the east and west coasts !!! Taking time to visit (rather than fly over) would serve as a "fact finding trip" for most anyone who doesn't travel the routes by RV !!!!! (mulligan)...

Dave W
12-24-2016, 01:01 PM

I guess I'm having trouble understanding your logic. We are talking about how crappy the highways have become plus bemoaning the fact that it would cost bundles of bucks to fix, not that they are 'free' to drive on - they aren't.

Lic0rice
12-24-2016, 01:25 PM
Does anyone know of a web site that has a map showing the current condition of our Interstates? I found one a few years ago that shown which N.C. roads were under repair but can't locate it.

When we lived aboard our sailboat, there was a very helpful site where others posted areas that were shoaling.

SummitPond
12-24-2016, 02:14 PM
I-10 across Louisiana made even bumpy I-10 in West Texas look great.

When I lived in Louisiana I attributed the "great" shape of the roads (seems like all of them, surface as well as interstate) to the extremely harsh winters we had. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/images/smilies/nonono.gif

All kidding aside, there were some surface roads constructed of concrete (rather than asphalt) that seemed to hold up well, but the interstates must take an awful beating from the heavy traffic - they just didn't seem to last. I'm sure soil composition has a lot to do with it there.

What I really don't understand is the astronomical cost of building a road. A1A was partially destroyed during our last hurricane, and I've read quotes in the multi-millions of dollars per mile to fix it.

CaptnJohn
12-24-2016, 02:27 PM
I guess I'm having trouble understanding your logic. We are talking about how crappy the highways have become plus bemoaning the fact that it would cost bundles of bucks to fix, not that they are 'free' to drive on - they aren't.

My point is ~~ we drive over these and notice the terrible condition more so when towing on vacation. They have had 'shovel ready' repairs needed for well over a decade. The powers that look for 'shovel ready' projects to spend tax dollars on will never see their condition while flying over them on paid million dollar golf vacations a few times every year.

66joej
12-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Here in Canada a lot of these "shovel ready" projects never get off the ground because the work takes so long to complete the next party in power will get the credit for doing the job. Politics plays a big part of life. Witness the Keystone pipeline in the US.

ctbruce
12-24-2016, 03:57 PM
My point is ~~ we drive over these and notice the terrible condition more so when towing on vacation. They have had 'shovel ready' repairs needed for well over a decade. The powers that look for 'shovel ready' projects to spend tax dollars on will never see their condition while flying over them on paid million dollar golf vacations a few times every year.
(Eagle) X2
Boots on the ground makes a huge difference!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Barbell
02-16-2017, 04:42 PM
We just traveled from Charleston to Columbia, SC (I-26); Cloumbia to Dallas/Ft Worth (I-20); US 287 to Amarillo; I-40 to Flagstaff. The first 20 or so miles west of Columbia was the worst. Atlanta, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Jackson, Vicksburg, Monroe, Shreveport, DFW, Amarillo, Albuquerque are all pretty bad but the asphalt surfaces in between are pretty good. This is the third trip over most of this route we have made in the last four years and it's much better now than four years ago. The worst parts are the concrete sections and the bridges.

cardinal96ss
02-17-2017, 05:59 AM
I-80 across Nebraska is now good. The road has been worked on for the last 2-3 years and is in nice shape. We travel I-80 several times each year.

Richard Noble
02-18-2017, 10:48 AM
We should all visit our State's Department of Transportation website and voice our concern with the condition of the roads that we are paying for. Often, the Highway Users Tax Fund (funded by tax on fuel) is used for other items not really related to highway use. Use the power of the pen - call, write, email. Can't hurt!

Richard Noble
02-18-2017, 10:51 AM
Also, it is politics. Still, we do not need to throw rocks at any group or each other. We are the people that can get this changed. Bitchin' is not Fixin'.

msubobcats
02-23-2017, 04:53 PM
And with this winter we have had the roads are really deterioratin fast..
I know that all the roads we have seen in NoCal this year are a disaster...

vampress_me
03-30-2017, 03:31 PM
I-80 across Nebraska is now good. The road has been worked on for the last 2-3 years and is in nice shape. We travel I-80 several times each year.

Thank you for this! We may be traveling that way this summer. DD has expressed an interest in Wyo for college in a few years and I'm thinking we need to head to Laramie again to show her the old alma mater. :)

Frank G
03-30-2017, 05:56 PM
Road funding is an interesting topic especially if it is to remain non political. One of the primary means of funding is the gasoline tax, with the ever increasing fuel efficiency of vehicles and a small percentage of cars using the grid there is less and less tax generated income from fuel sales. With more vehicles on the road the demand for more lanes puts the question to decision makers, more roads or fix the old ones. The population of people and number of vehicles on the road is overwhelming. I am old enough to remember the creation of the original interstate system, it was nice, 70mph, no traffic, no congestion and a Stucky's at every interchange. There are a few miles of the original I-75 in Michigan, concrete well worn and heavily patched. I have a picture of my dad standing next to the governor of the great state of Ohio doing the ribbon cutting ceremony for the Ohio Turnpike. At supper that evening he proudly announced that the day will come when the toll booth's will be removed and it will be free. That never happened, they built new toll booths doubled the tolls and started siphoning off the profits. I guess the bottom line is we the people need to make sure the highways are properly funded and the funds are used for highways.

JRTJH
03-30-2017, 06:24 PM
Speaking of roads that need repair, apparently an overpass at the I-85/Piedmont Avenue intersection in Atlanta just collapsed. This intersection, if I'm thinking of the correct one, is a "nightmare overpass/exchange" with about 6 layers of cloverleafs and multiple lanes of traffic, all converging into about 16 lanes of I-85 and the same number of lanes of I-75. I'm not sure what actually collapsed, but the news broadcast is currently showing a significant "underground fire" that hasn't been extinguished.

If you're planning to travel through that area in the next couple of weeks, plan an alternate route, it won't be open for a while !!!!!

chuckster57
03-30-2017, 06:25 PM
Happening right now out here on the Left coast. Causing quite the stir among tax payers.

Ddubya
06-29-2017, 05:39 AM
Just traveled US 24 east into Taos NM. Very rough and to make it worse it has some steep grades and tight turns. Impossible to keep your speed up because of the rough road.

John&Genny
06-29-2017, 06:36 AM
Here in Spokane, we are renown for our bad roads. Even President Bush commented on how bad the roads were here in Spokane when he visited our town several years ago :) A 15 mile section of I-90 had to have it's speed limit dropped from 70 down to 60 this winter because that section was just terrible. Most of the interstate system started in the 1950's and over the years has just been neglected to the state it is now.