PDA

View Full Version : Texas flooding again!

gearhead
04-18-2016, 05:46 AM
Houston area severe flooding. 15+" rainfall overnight in some areas. Many freeway closings....I-10 & I-45. Be very careful from San Antonio into Louisiana.

GaryWT
04-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Stay safe and good luck. Are neighborhoods flooding? Water in basements? Does make a mess.

gearhead
04-18-2016, 06:33 PM
Stay safe and good luck. Are neighborhoods flooding? Water in basements? Does make a mess.
Neighborhoods? Yes, a fair portion of Houston is flooded. Airports were shutdown for hours. 600+ flights cancelled. High water rescues. Last I heard 2 fatalities. Schools closed. Most businesses closed or non-essentials told to stay home. No basements in Houston. Thousands, maybe tens of thousands homes flooded. No telling how many cars.
Local TV news went to all day coverage.
I'm high and dry. Most rain was on the other side of Houston. I got only 4.5 inches overnight and this morning.

Desert185
04-18-2016, 08:05 PM
My son lives in downtown Houston in a warehouse. High and dry, so far.

The rainfall in Houston can be impressive. I took a pic of downtown from 50 miles away in an airplane summer of '13 or '14. The mature thunderstorm looked like an A-bomb, but bigger with a rain shaft miles across. Viet Nam, Bombay (Mumbai), San Jose CR and Houston all have rain intensity in common.

gearhead
04-19-2016, 04:08 AM
Yeah, if you haven't experienced one of our thunderstorms before I suppose it could be an eye popping event. The Texas coast is flat as a pancake so it takes a while to drain. Still have high water rescues going on this morning. I think I heard 5 fatalities so far, more expected as freeway underpasses are pumped out. Many folks drive right into it. I heard of measured rainfall on Houstons northwest side of 17 inches in 12 hours.

GaryWT
04-19-2016, 06:42 AM
I have never been to Texas but saw some of the news last night. True shame, saw people getting out of cars and swimming to dry land, just crazy. Keep high and dry.