PDA

View Full Version : Does roof air run constantly?

wgb1
04-10-2011, 12:13 PM
We took our camper out for its maiden voyage this weekend. The temps got close to 90 or a little higher. We set the thermostat to 70 -72. The roof air unit ran constantly without ever turning off. I thought it would run and cool down the camper then turn off until the temp started coming back up. I could tell a difference when I adjusted the thermostat higher or lower, but the unit ran non-stop from noon Saturday until noon Sunday. Is this correct?

DAF
04-10-2011, 12:55 PM
It can. But the circumstances vary a lot. Besides the high ambient temp, is the RV in full sun or under some shade? Is the AC ducted? If so, is the fan control set to Auto or On? If it is set On the fan will never turn off even when the compressor cycles. If it is not ducted, the fan runs constantly which is normal. The best way to determine if the system is cooling properly is to measure the air temp as it comes out of the vents and compare to the air temp at the intake (filter) side while the compressor is running. Normally there should be about 12 to 15 deg difference.

chuck&gail
04-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Does your thermostat have both a Fan and an Auto position? Mine does, and in Auto the A/C fan cycles on and off, but in Fan mode it runs all the time. It is supposed to do that in A/C with that thermostat.

wgb1
04-10-2011, 07:29 PM
We were parked in partial shade, but the unit never stopped running throughout the night either. Below is a pic of the thermostat in my RV, but I don't think it has the "Heat Pump" setting that is shown on the one in the photo. Otherwise, it looks the same. The unit is a 13,500 BTU unit and it is ducted with 4 ducts. I suppose reading the manual would be a great help. Like I always say, "When all else fails, read instructions".

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_11379_0_84d6782177cdcef30d8afaf488d9dcf4.jpg

Terrydactile
04-11-2011, 03:16 AM
Is the fan set to auto or to on? If set to on the fan will never shut off. Now, what is running all the time, the compressor in the AC or just the fan? Did the temp inside ever get to the set point? If the compressor never turns off then I would check the sealing of the gaps in the duct work. Mine were not taped correctly and cold air was blowing into the roof. It is pretty normal for the AC to run all day in temps like that but mine will cycle on and off at night even in july and august.

wgb1
04-11-2011, 05:00 PM
I believe the fan was running constantly and I am pretty sure I could hear the compressor cycling. The temps did fluctuate a little and when I selected a higher or lower temp on the thermostat, I could tell a difference. I need to sit down and read the instructions to get a better idea of how to work the thermostat. I thought it should be simple. I do remember the light was lit next to the word "Cool". I seem to remember that being the only light that was green.

Terrydactile
04-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Based on what you've stated it does sound like the fan is on all the time. If you don't like it that way it should just be a matter of setting the thermo to auto fan. Personnally I like the fan to run all the time at night because it lessons the noise that the AC makes when it comes on. It wakes me up when it comes on at night.

wgb1
04-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Personnally I like the fan to run all the time at night because it lessons the noise that the AC makes when it comes on. It wakes me up when it comes on at night.

Exactly what my wife said. She liked the fact that it ran all night. She had told me earlier she wanted a white noise machine, so I guess we have one......sorta.

Pete and Jeanne
06-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Hey wgb1, I just noticed this thread..I have the same thermst. shown in the pic. You're right..I finally read the directions. If you go to "Fan" and "+" or "-" you find an "Auto" setting. This will turn off your fan when the temp reaches the set temp. and the comp shuts down. It will run on "Hi" until within 4/5 degrees of the set temp then switch to "Lo" fan...then off. After a couple of trips with the new TT I finally read up on the darn thing...Ya know..it woke me up the first time the thing actually shut off in the middle of the night when the comp. shut down...Travel Well...Pete

jje1960
06-08-2011, 03:10 PM
We have played with ours and found advantage both ways. When watching TV we have had it on Auto, however have as others stated that at night it's kind of nice having it on all the time. I think it's a bit more efficient when on all the time, not really sure though.

jq1031
06-08-2011, 04:19 PM
We have played with ours and found advantage both ways. When watching TV we have had it on Auto, however have as others stated that at night it's kind of nice having it on all the time. I think it's a bit more efficient when on all the time, not really sure though.

You're right, leaving it on (the fan) is more effficient & at night you don't have the fan cycling on & off. Also, the electricity to power the fan is minimal!

kschrome
06-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Must be nice for the AC to run all the time, ours keeps trippping out:(

wgb1
06-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Hey wgb1, I just noticed this thread..I have the same thermst. shown in the pic. You're right..I finally read the directions. If you go to "Fan" and "+" or "-" you find an "Auto" setting. This will turn off your fan when the temp reaches the set temp. and the comp shuts down. It will run on "Hi" until within 4/5 degrees of the set temp then switch to "Lo" fan...then off. After a couple of trips with the new TT I finally read up on the darn thing...Ya know..it woke me up the first time the thing actually shut off in the middle of the night when the comp. shut down...Travel Well...Pete

Yes, I did the same thing. You know when all else fails, read instructions. LOL Anyway, I found the same info in the manual. Thanks

LarryL
06-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Hi your luckey you have to use the A/C,camped the last week of May and it
snowed i'm in Calif,its june 9 just starting to see some sun and only
in the low 70s.

wgb1
06-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Hi your luckey you have to use the A/C,camped the last week of May and it
snowed i'm in Calif,its june 9 just starting to see some sun and only
in the low 70s.

Come to Texas and drag some of that on over here. We've had record heat (103 last Saturday) and can't get rain for squat. All the lakes around are down consiberably.

slopijom
07-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Last summer my a/c ran continuosly and had trouble keeping up. i've noticed that i was leaving my storage doors open. i shut them and hadnt had a problem since. And i live in good ole "hot" louisiana...

Devildogmom
07-29-2011, 06:44 PM

:thumbsup: We have the same thermostat is our new Cougar. I will definitely try to find the auto setting. When in doubt, read the instructions.:rofl: