PDA

View Full Version : Installed Thermostat with Auto switch

Me.Bikes.Dogs
04-08-2011, 08:46 AM
I'm in Texas right now and the temperature has been varying from 45 at night to 80 during the day. I was getting tired of changing my thermostat everyday from heat to cool then back to heat (boy, is that the epitome of lazy?).

Researching thermostats I came across the Honeywell RTH5100B. It is a non-programmable digital thermostat that automatically switches between heat and cool as necessary. You set the upper and lower limit and never worry about it again. I love it!

It was a simple replacement. Used the same holes as the old "Coleman-Mach". I didn't use the high-low fan wires. Took all of 5 minutes to replace.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41hnqRXFBQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Happy Camping!

LarryL
04-10-2011, 07:14 AM
Hi I want to change my duo threm Domeic,and i like the high low setting
that the RTH5100B has.
you said you didn't connect the high/low fan wires,what fan speed do
you have? and did you take a picture of the way you wired it?

Me.Bikes.Dogs
04-10-2011, 07:31 AM
It runs at high fan speed like a standard thermostat/fan setup. Here's the wiring. The blue and green wires aren't used. You'll need to create the jumper for the Rc to R connection, it doesn't come with a jumper wire.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5109/5606541730_1e0ea21479.jpg

LarryL
04-10-2011, 08:10 AM
thanks for the pic so quick, now can I buy it at lowes or home depot?
I have some other lighting mods I want to do today I would like to do
this one to.

Me.Bikes.Dogs
04-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Got mine at Lowes.

LarryL
04-10-2011, 09:52 AM
going to lowes right now pick one up and put it in taking the honda gen 3000
to check it, I will let you know how I did later today.maybe tomarrow the DW
wants to go to lowes with me to look at other things:(

Flyguy
04-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Larry, if you have a Duo-Therm it wires different from the Coleman, read this article it may help: http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Hunter%20Thermostat/Keystone%20RV%20Camping%20Group%20Hunter%20Thermos tat%20Installation.pdf and this one too: http://www.eaa1358.com/Passport/Hunter%20Thermostat/Hunter%20Digital%20Thermostat%20Instructions.pdf

ftwildernessguy
04-10-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm really liking this mod. Even though switching doesn't bother me that much, I think this is a nice-to-have feature.

Chas883
04-10-2011, 08:22 PM
How wide is this t-stat I've got 4and 5/8 inch between two pieces of wood trim where my coleman-mach t-stat sits, looks wide maybe i'd have to make backing board to raise it off the wall. Looks like a great unit. For just regular T-stats I have hunter brand in the house and they work great been using for about 15 yrs. they just don't switch between heat and air automatically.Thanks for the post I was just thinking about what to upgrade the t-stat with.

Me.Bikes.Dogs
04-11-2011, 05:07 AM
It's 4.5 inches at it widest and the base plate is a little narrower than that. It's an inch deep an 3 3/8 tall.

Chas883
04-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Thanks Kent I'm about 85 miles from hardware store but I'll sure pick one up, I hate waking up freezing from the ac and shuttering from colt to the t-stat to turn heat on.Thanks again for finding the one that works.

Mistral
04-11-2011, 03:05 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41hnqRXFBQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hi !! I'm new here since I bought a 2011 Passport 2510RB Limited Edition.
I bought the same thermostat 2 years ago and it was in my old TT but now in my Passport they have a Single Zone LCD dometic thermostat in it. I'm not able to find a way to make the change. :confused:
Look at attached images. Thank for your help.;)

Mistral
05-01-2011, 04:02 PM
No idea ??? :confused:

:(

f6bits
12-07-2011, 05:16 PM
I finally tested out my mod with AC since I had shore power. When I wired it, I hooked up the Low fan wire, and not the High fan since I was hoping for more low-key cooling. It sounds like the compressor came on, but no fan. I disconnected Low and hooked up High and the AC worked fine with the High fan.

I’ve looked through other people’s comments and saw instances where they couldn’t get the Low fan to work and seemed to give up. Is there some trick to getting the Low fan to work with a Honeywell thermostat? Shouldn’t the High and Low speeds take the same trigger voltage?

SteveC7010
12-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Check the wiring instructions carefully. On the Hunter thermostats, the low line is added to the high line rather than to remove high and connect low. It may be the same for the Honeywells.

f6bits
12-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Now I get it. In my mind, I was thinking the mini switch was toggling between both inputs, not adding one to the one already there. Thanks!

rjsurfer
12-08-2011, 04:59 AM
good pick up guys....now I'd love to make the change but I have never figured out a way to integrate my heat strip into the mix.

I guess technically I have three systems to control the AC, Heat Strip and the furnace

Ron W.

JRTJH
12-08-2011, 07:23 AM
good pick up guys....now I'd love to make the change but I have never figured out a way to integrate my heat strip into the mix.

I guess technically I have three systems to control the AC, Heat Strip and the furnace

Ron W.

Our heat strip was an "off/on" system. It did have its own Tstat, a rotary knob, in the AC shroud, but nothing was controlled by the Tstat. Is yours the same? If so, you may be able to bypass the Tstat by putting a toggle switch in the ceiling to turn the heat strip off and on and still use the rotary knob for temp control. That would allow you to use the digital Tstat for furnace and air and the mechanical system for heat strip. Not sure if you have a similar system, so just me thinking out loud.....

rjsurfer
12-09-2011, 03:55 AM
Our heat strip was an "off/on" system. It did have its own Tstat, a rotary knob, in the AC shroud, but nothing was controlled by the Tstat. Is yours the same? If so, you may be able to bypass the Tstat by putting a toggle switch in the ceiling to turn the heat strip off and on and still use the rotary knob for temp control. That would allow you to use the digital Tstat for furnace and air and the mechanical system for heat strip. Not sure if you have a similar system, so just me thinking out loud.....

My heat strip control is integrated into the thermostat I guess I would be better off if it was controlled at the A/C unit.

Ron W.

JRTJH
12-09-2011, 05:26 AM
That's a bummer.... Modern technology, sometimes I wonder if it's really a step forward or if it just creates more problems.... LOL

f6bits
12-18-2011, 06:27 PM
I wired both my Low and High wires into the G connector and it sounds just the same as having the High only hooked up.

Any suggestions on how to bench-test the Duo-Therm thermostat? I’d hate to have to hook it back into my trailer just to figure this out. I stared at the circuit board, but couldn’t determine what each trace did.

kingji
12-22-2011, 07:34 PM
I guess the thermostat can be set to cool only or heat only? And is there an adjustment to the deadband in case you might want the range to be 2 or 3 degrees of off time before the desire appliance comes back on. I wouldn't want it to cycle to often. Seems like the factory unit stays off too long sometimes.
Jimmy

f6bits
12-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Bench test complete. According to the circuit board, “Fan” is connected to ground when the Auto/Fan is set to Fan and the Low/High switch is on Low. “Hi Fan” is not connected to ground. When I flip the Low/High switch to High, “Fan” is still connected to ground as is “Hi Fan.” Which is weird, because it seems that my Low and High fan wires are backwards according to the Mod diagrams. No bother. Just find the one wire that gets the fan running and wire that in permanently. The other wire would go to a toggle switch. Maybe when Summer rolls around, I’ll get a better feel for Low vs. High since they both sounded the same to me.

mikell
12-23-2011, 08:46 AM
I have 3 settings but the thermostat only seems to like low??? So in the summer I set it to MED to cool better once I figured that out it cooled without any problems

michol02
12-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the picture of the wiring. I just installed the same therm. and would have wired it wrong.