PDA

View Full Version : What roadside

Lkha
02-07-2016, 10:14 AM
What roadside insurance if any do you like. AARP, GS, HOG, MILITARY thanks in advance.

SADLY
02-07-2016, 10:18 AM
VISA/Amex

LOL

sourdough
02-07-2016, 11:03 AM
I have GS, Geico and AARP. Don't know if I like any of them because I've never had to use them. Figured I might as well carry a few in the event I do need something one day....they don't cost much.

Javi
02-07-2016, 11:16 AM
I have GS, Geico and AARP. Don't know if I like any of them because I've never had to use them. Figured I might as well carry a few in the event I do need something one day....they don't cost much.

GS & Geico for me...

jsmith948
02-08-2016, 06:19 AM
We have GS Roadside. We have been fortunate, so far, to have not had to use the plan. However, our DS used his plan during a trip from western WA to Kentucky. He lost a wheel bearing outside of Billings MT. Called GS - they sent a repairman out from Billings - replaced the bearings, races and seal and had him up and running in under 5 hours (there was no damage to the spindle).
The down time would have been less, but the tech had to return to Billings for a part that wasn't on the truck. DS had to pay for the parts only (he was later reimbursed by Keystone) He was/is very happy with GS Roadside.

dhn
02-08-2016, 08:41 AM
I have had GS for about a year, but have not had to use it yet. When I was doing my research on some of the other roadside providers, some just cover the tow vehicle and not the trailer. Be sure to ask if the company covers the trailer or fifthwheel too, and if they will send multiple trucks to tow the TV and trailer or fifthwheel. Had a friend that had AAA and they had to leave their trailer at a pull out on the side of the road, when their transmission went out on their TV and did not cover the trailer.

koko
02-08-2016, 09:01 AM
We have Allstate but have never had to use it. We're looking into Good Sam. Never thought of having two - really, really good idea!

dcg9381
02-08-2016, 09:37 AM
The thing is that none of these carriers own any sort of road side assistance shops. They all setup contracts with local providers. As such, you're limited out of the gate to the providers in your area... Perhaps this is a bigger deal with the Class-A crowd than it is with trailers.

Start by asking if your auto insurance covers the trailer while it's being towed. You may already have coverage that you may or may not know about.

It may be that some providers have more contracts than others... But if you're stranded somewhere and no one is available until Monday, it's not really going to matter who the carrier is.

Pull Toy
02-08-2016, 03:00 PM
The two times in the past 6 years that I've needed them Triple A, RV Plus has bee great!

I believe they have the widest network of Contractors (Tow trucks etc...) available as well.

Mopar madman
02-09-2016, 04:21 AM
We've had GS for a couple years now. Last summer I somehow locked the keys in the trailer. I used the mobile app on my phone and within 45 minutes a locksmith had us back in! The company name was, "Better than a brick"! LMAO awesome name for a locksmith.

B-O-B'03
02-10-2016, 06:42 PM
The two times in the past 6 years that I've needed them Triple A, RV Plus has bee great!

I believe they have the widest network of Contractors (Tow trucks etc...) available as well.

We have been Triple A + RV members, for 23 years and have had them out a couple of times, while pulling a camper.

Once we were 75 miles from Amarillo, on US 287 and the alternator locked up, snapping the serpentine belt... AAA sent a flatbed, put the TV on it and hooked the trailer up to a hitch on the back.

Another time the front seal of the transmission blew and dumped trans fluid on the exhaust cross-over, which erupted into flames. We were just east of the ranger hill, on I 20 and the tow back to the house was 110 miles.

That was a fun ride, the driver, Me, the DW and 3 teens sharing the cab of the wrecker.

I have been very happy with the service provided.

-Brian