PDA

View Full Version : Alaska\Canada Boondocking

Stanomatic
02-04-2016, 03:14 PM
I have read a few threads about driving to Alaska. I am picking up Milepost and "Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping: Alaska and Yukon Camping With RV or Tent". I plan to have several 5 gallon diesel cans but will most likely keep filling up near the half tank mark.

I am curious if I should camp at designated RV parks OR if there are plenty of opportunities to pull over and camp in my 5th wheel? I am a huge planner and have reservations for every stop in the states. Canada will basically be a pass through due to time constraints. I want to spend more time in Alaska.

What are your experiences?

Festus2
02-04-2016, 04:24 PM
Stan -
During your short "drive-thru" Canada, you can stay either at Provincial Parks or in the usual private ones. When in BC - if you are going that route - most of our Provincial parks do not have hookups.

Unless you are familiar with area and have "local knowledge" I wouldn't advise "pulling over and camping in your 5th wheel". You just can't pull off the road and camp by the roadside --- the laws here are no different than those in your states in this respect.

Also, be aware of our laws regarding firearms. If you have obtained a special permit to transport your rifle- for hunting in Alaska for example - then you should be ok. Handguns for the purpose of personal protection or "protection from wildlife" are not allowed and you will be heavily fined and your handguns confiscated if caught. Again familiarize yourself with the laws about transporting and carrying firearms into Canada before you enter. Our laws are quite different from what you are used to and pleading ignorance will get you nowhere.

When in BC, there are enough gas/diesel stations along the way but you should carry a good-sized can or two just in case. Just keep an eye on your gauge and you'll be fine. Our fuel is considerably more costly so be prepared for a shock when you fuel up the first time. (Same with wine, beer and spirits ------)

theallde
02-04-2016, 06:32 PM
Stan: Sent you a private message. I have an itinerary and DVD of our Alaska adventure.

hankaye
02-04-2016, 06:47 PM
Stanomatic, Howdy;

Agree with Festus2, Leave all handguns at home, get permits for long arms
including a 12 ga. for pest (nasty critters), control/protection. Works fine
and when in a hurry aiming is simpler, point & shoot ... so-to-speak.
Biggest problem might be Brown Bears along the route so campgrounds
offer better odds of them not bothering you.
Just my take on the situation...

hankaye

FlyingChief
02-05-2016, 10:33 AM
We're also looking at doing Alaska in 2017. I found a great site - www.northtoalaska.com - that has a ton of helpful information.

Stanomatic
02-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Thank you all for the replies. Sorry for getting back a little late.
@Festus2 Good info on Provincial Parks about hook ups. I won't plan on pulling over.

FIREARMS = I have done extensive research now and I am still deciding whether to fill out forms or ship from WA to Alaska and back again. Also, in my research I found I can't bring my pepper spray across the border. BUT, I can have bear spray.

I am aware of the difference of diesel. I know Canada sells in litters and also to understand CAN to $ conversion. I am good with math and can calculate all that. :) The good news overall is diesel/gas has dropped everywhere and they anticipate it will remain low for a while.

@theallde, thanks, I will PM you back.

@hankaye, looks like it will be campgrounds.

@flyingChief, I will check it out. Thank you.

My books should come in today. Looking forward to going through them.

Steve S
02-06-2016, 02:00 PM
Stanomatic as I read your replies it sounds like you have a pretty good plan set in mind:)
I drove to Alaska in Dec/Jan and it was a pretty nice and cold trip! I went there to see the Northern Lights and I did most of it off the beaten path with just bear spray which I never used.
I camped in a tent but not in campgrounds and enjoyed the peace and quiet while being as one with nature.
I wouldn't worry too much about bringing firearms as you're more likely to twist your ankle then you are to be attacked by a bear. Be more careful around the Moose especially while driving as I've hit a few and it' not too fun:eek:
The people are friendly, the bars are great and I plan to take the trip again this summer"bouncey:

bartbill
02-09-2016, 06:48 PM
can you tell me about the permitting process. We are heading that way this summer. Would like to take a 12 gauge.

Steve S
02-09-2016, 07:37 PM
can you tell me about the permitting process. We are heading that way this summer. Would like to take a 12 gauge.

If you Google it you'll get better accurate answers then you would on a RV forum:) Also as a gun owner wouldn't you belong to a few gun forums where you could ask for advice:rolleyes:

Festus2
02-09-2016, 09:03 PM

You can find out information about bringing firearms into Canada here:

1) Canada Border Services Agency (www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca

2) RCMP (www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca

Are you transporting your 12g from your residence through Canada and into Alaska or from your residence into Canada?

In either case, you would need to obtain and fill out the required permits, and pay a fee (of course). You would also have to specify what intended use you have for the 12g. As I mentioned earlier, I am certain that you cannot bring a firearm into Canada just for personal protection from both humans and wildlife.

Bottom line --- find out what the regs are and bring whatever documents are required. Don't show up at the border with a 12g shotgun without proper documentation--- licenses, permits, etc.

bartbill
02-10-2016, 08:14 AM
Whoa up there Steve. I didn't bring up the subject - it was in an earlier post.

Steve S
02-10-2016, 10:42 AM
Whoa up there Steve. I didn't bring up the subject - it was in an earlier post.

You asked about bringing a 12 gauge to Canada, I replied to it, I thought it was good advice as I'm not up on the transportation of guns;)
Festus2 took the time to write a detailed post of the process.
If you're looking to hunt there's some good hunting"bouncey: I hunt with crossbows and bows, very silent and less regs to own one:)

bartbill
02-10-2016, 07:55 PM
Thanks much.

CarKath
02-10-2016, 08:28 PM
There are lots of rules as you can get the gest of ........here is a link that may help everybody...

http://canada.usembassy.gov/traveling_to_canada/bringing-weapons-into-canada.html

Desert185
02-11-2016, 08:03 AM

Call the Canadian Firearm Center, 800-731-4000 or http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/

The fee is $25CDN for a 60 day permit.

Exchange rate: $1.00US is currently $1.395CDN, discounting the credit card company's foreign transaction fee.

notanlines
02-14-2016, 11:14 AM
I'll probably catch a little flack for this, but when you visit Florida do you bring your arsenal with you? Ten times as many 'gators in Florida as black/brown bears in Alaska.....and in one tenth the area. And just the thought of spending your non-Disney time in an area with large constrictors might be enough to up the ante to a ten gauge. Yes, I am having a little fun at your expense, but do you actually think it necessary to vacation in Alaska with firepower? Been there twice, once for six weeks, once for three weeks. The only thing I saw was the need for a little common sense and a fillet knife for the salmon. And one more thing; don't underestimate the awesomeness of British Columbia. The large numbers of black bears visible on their roads in the early morning and late evening will amaze you. And the scenery is fabulous. No shot gun necessary!

Steve S
02-14-2016, 11:51 AM
I'll probably catch a little flack for this, but when you visit Florida do you bring your arsenal with you? Ten times as many 'gators in Florida as black/brown bears in Alaska.....and in one tenth the area. And just the thought of spending your non-Disney time in an area with large constrictors might be enough to up the ante to a ten gauge. Yes, I am having a little fun at your expense, but do you actually think it necessary to vacation in Alaska with firepower? Been there twice, once for six weeks, once for three weeks. The only thing I saw was the need for a little common sense and a fillet knife for the salmon. And one more thing; don't underestimate the awesomeness of British Columbia. The large numbers of black bears visible on their roads in the early morning and late evening will amaze you. And the scenery is fabulous. No shot gun necessary!

I was at the gas station and read this in my e-mail and couldn't stop laughing:D:D Thanks for the post and the good laugh as what you said is so true"bouncey:

Festus2
02-14-2016, 12:06 PM
And one more thing; don't underestimate the awesomeness of British Columbia. The large numbers of black bears visible on their roads in the early morning and late evening will amaze you. And the scenery is fabulous. No shot gun necessary!

Yes, the scenery is fabulous and; yes, it is truly an "awesome place". However, you won't see bears on or by the roadside unless you get out into the country and well away from urban areas. There are exceptions to this but you will not find bears wandering around the streets of downtown areas.

Steve S
02-14-2016, 12:52 PM
Yes, the scenery is fabulous and; yes, it is truly an "awesome place". However, you won't see bears on or by the roadside unless you get out into the country and well away from urban areas. There are exceptions to this but you will not find bears wandering around the streets of downtown areas.

Sorry Festus2 but I'm going to disagree on your post. There's plenty of bears that can be seen from the roadside especially during the morning times as that's when they're off searching for food"bouncey:
I have so many pics of my last trip to Alaska but nothing digital that I can post. All my pics are film and it's one of my ways of making a living:)

Desert185
02-17-2016, 09:39 AM

I carry everywhere it is legal for me to carry. No apologies, explanations or reasons necessary or required. The key word being "legal".

Edit: We live in Alaska during the summer, BTW.

Desert185
02-17-2016, 09:48 AM
This event happened just up the road from our property:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/survival/animal-attacks/2009/08/charging-grizzly-killed-alaska/?image=0

JRTJH
02-17-2016, 11:38 AM
This event happened just up the road from our property:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/survival/animal-attacks/2009/08/charging-grizzly-killed-alaska/?image=0

Frightening story !!!

This is "off topic" for a thread about Alaska, but last year we had a bow hunter that stopped by KFC to get a couple of snack packs of chicken nuggets on his way to his tree stand. He was sitting in his stand "munching on chicken" when a black bear climbed the tree and mauled his legs. Fortunately he survived and says he will never carry "smelly fried chicken" into the woods again.

Granted, his stupidity was probably the only reason that bear attacked him, but it goes to show that it's not just in the "wilds of Alaska" that something "could happen"...

Almost every afternoon that we ride 4 wheelers behind our house, we see bear, deer, elk and other wildlife. Even when we are "out back working on our property" I've always got some sort of protection available. Yes, we do have several black bears that live either on our property or the adjacent 40,000 acres in the northern part of Grayling State Forest. We see them regularly all spring/summer and into the fall. My biggest concern is "playful cubs" in the spring. You never know where one will "pop up" with you between them and their mother...

I seldom even walk down to the lake (50' from the house) without a means of protecting myself.

Steve S
02-18-2016, 09:36 AM
Frightening story !!!

This is "off topic" for a thread about Alaska, but last year we had a bow hunter that stopped by KFC to get a couple of snack packs of chicken nuggets on his way to his tree stand. He was sitting in his stand "munching on chicken" when a black bear climbed the tree and mauled his legs. Fortunately he survived and says he will never carry "smelly fried chicken" into the woods again.

Granted, his stupidity was probably the only reason that bear attacked him, but it goes to show that it's not just in the "wilds of Alaska" that something "could happen"...

Almost every afternoon that we ride 4 wheelers behind our house, we see bear, deer, elk and other wildlife. Even when we are "out back working on our property" I've always got some sort of protection available. Yes, we do have several black bears that live either on our property or the adjacent 40,000 acres in the northern part of Grayling State Forest. We see them regularly all spring/summer and into the fall. My biggest concern is "playful cubs" in the spring. You never know where one will "pop up" with you between them and their mother...

I seldom even walk down to the lake (50' from the house) without a means of protecting myself.

All I can say is WOW!! Who the hell takes a bucket of chicken with them while out hunting?? Yeah we get hungry but seal the food in ziplocks and eat downwind!
Funny story, I went hunting with a friend and he took a shower before hand, he used his wife's scented soap and all the deer followed him everywhere! lol!
The hunting was bad that day but I did manage to snag a rabbit so lunch was good"bouncey:

JRTJH
02-18-2016, 02:03 PM
Here's a link to one of the articles. http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2010/10/michigan_hunter_fends_off_atta.html

Like I said, it's probably more his "own stupidity" than an angry bear. But whatever the cause of the attack, I'm sure he had some "uncomfortable moments"

Apparently it wasn't last year, but several years ago. Sitting around the campfire during our "family deer hunt" last year is when my brother-in-law told me about it. LOL

Ken / Claudia
02-18-2016, 04:58 PM
We have black bears at and near the beach house. Shoveled a few piles of poo out of the yard. We Just look out at night before opening the doors and going out. The dog barks at them and they walk away. It was funny when my wife was digging to plant flowers and I came out and told her a bear was standing across the road watching, she called me a lair. Than seen it and ran into the house as I was yelling at her don't run.