PDA

View Full Version : New cable tv feed

Springdale 298
04-03-2011, 06:19 AM
I have a Springdale 298 travel trailer. Park cable enters in left side of TT and feeds to the Wingard mount at TV in living area. I want to install a new cable TV feed to the outside under my awning so I can watch TV outside. Anyone ever done such a modification?

Thanks,

John

cumminsdad08
04-03-2011, 07:33 AM
haven't done this but i would think it would just be a matter of adding a spliter and running one out. i don't have a cable feed in, so i was just going to add one and run it back to the power cable under the trailer.

Springdale 298
04-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. I thought of just adding the splitter at the point of entry from the park cable and run it under the TT to connect on the other side at the awning area where I would view the TV. But really i would want to make it look professional. I thought I could split at the Wingard box( beside my flat panel TV) and feed the new cable down through a cabinet, let the cable run under the TT and back up to the kitchen cabinet and mount a cable connetor (from Camping World) to the outside near the electrical outlet already mounted from the factory. I'm afriad of drilling through the floor and disturbing the factory underbelly cover. Don't want leaks. Looking for any more thoughts on this..

John

Handysam
04-04-2011, 05:05 PM
John do you a cable connection in the back by the bunks? If so could you split off that and then run it under the trailer to the front that way?

Springdale 298
04-04-2011, 05:37 PM
John do you a cable connection in the back by the bunks? If so could you split off that and then run it under the trailer to the front that way?

Handysam. Yes I do have a cable feed to the bunk area. Are you saying split there, maybe drill to floor and run under TT and maybe back up near the electrical outlet near the entry door.

John

Handysam
04-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Yes I looked up your floor plan and thought of that idea. I think that might be an easier exit and entry that way. You could put an outside outlet almost anywhere along that side.

Springdale 298
04-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks Handysam. Just thinking that it may work. Easy access to floor through the rear cabinet (mini closet) just under the bunkhouse cable connection. Hiding cable in the closet to the floor will give it a professional look, running it along the frame and mounting on the lower skirting under the awning area. Entertainment awaits beside my lawnchair.

Thanks for being so "handy" with this issue!

John

Handysam
04-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Something else you could do, would be to come up into your front storage area through the floor and mount your connection there and then just run another cable to the tv outside when you want to use it. That way the connection would be out of the weather Just a thought. Happy camping, Sam

Springdale 298
04-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Thought I would use this outsde connection and mount to side of TT.

http://www.rvtruckparts.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=25678&SID=4&DID=136&CID=683&BID=

Handysam
04-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Perfect, just remember the outside, or underside connection is exposed to the elements and you might want to get some automotive tape/electrical to wrap it up. Also used some caulking around the outside box and screws.

witekjm
04-24-2011, 09:06 AM
John,
I 've used HandySam's suggestion of adding a splitter between incoming cable from post and the cable outlet on the RV and running the 2nd cable underneath the TT to our TV mounted underneath the awning (TV is removed during inclement weather and travelling!) This works fine but is cumbersome to set-up and take-down.

I'm looking for a better solution such as mounting the splitter in the TT after the cable entrance connection (preferably under the TT) and running the cable to the oppostite side and connecting to a cable junction box somewhere near the wheel well for easy access when connecting to TV.

I too am worried about drilling holes, causing leaks and structural damage. Has anyone tried mounting a cable TV box on the thin metal skin between TT body and the ground? Thanks, JW

witekjm
04-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks SpringDale 298, for that link. I believe it will solve my outlet concern. FlyGuy has a 12-volt outside connection on his homepage that is similar. JW:)