PDA

View Full Version : tire wear

kelh2o44
07-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Left side tires wearing strangely. Front and rear wore from outside in and middle wore from inside out. Right side tires are wearing normally. Tread started seperating in chunks. Have heard everything from Carlisle tires are junk to axles have shifted. If axles shifted wouldn't wear be noticable on both left and right sides?

Flyguy
07-13-2009, 04:01 AM
I have heard of misalignment of the axles and that can cause strange wear indications. You might want to have that checked out. Most all of the ST trailer tires are Chinese made and not of a very good quality, Maxxis probably makes the best of the ST's but they aren't cheap, but it doesn't matter what tires you put on the trailer if the axles are out of alignment.

Home away from home
01-16-2010, 03:56 PM
I posted about this in another location, so I'll make a quicky post here. I had the bolt that holds the leaf springs together shear off at the head (the same head that holds the axle in place). This made the rear axle slide towards the rear about 4 inches on the passenger side. I have pictures of the tire damage (about the same as you describe it) if you'd like to see them. One would think that it'd be easy to notice if an axle wasn't aligned properly. I never noticed, and it took the dealer almost 2 days to figure it out. The driver side tires were fine, no abnormal wear.

Bob