PDA

View Full Version : Time verses cost

Rustymax
03-14-2011, 05:20 AM
As part of our continuing investigation we are curious as to what members of this forum would say is the typical amount of time per year that most 5er spend using their RV, weeks - months, (excluding full timers). We are trying to get a handle on what is the minimum amount of RV time one should do to justify going to a 5er over a TT (larger TV required and higher RV cost). Also is any one willing to estimate what might be considered to be average monthly fuel and rental cost that should be budgeted for. We are not seeking detailed budgetary information but rather rough order of magnitude cost.

Thanks,

Mr & Mrs Rustymax:confused:

jq1031
03-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Over the past few years we traveled in our RV usually for 3 month stretches, going cross country. Needless to say our fuel costs were a MAJOR part of the overall expense. Belonging to all the camp clubs, good sam, koa & especially passport america is a good way to reduce camping expenses by taking advantage of the discounts offered & in the case of passport america the 50%stays! I feel it's almost impossible to advise someone else as to what there costs will be, some people are quite happy in a bare bones camp ground & other must have a top rated RV park that cost double of triple. If you need 50amp service & full hookups, it will cost you more than 30 amp & just a water hook up.
After your 1st month on the road you'll have a pretty good handle on what your expensed are.

hankpage
03-14-2011, 08:53 AM
As part of our continuing investigation we are curious as to what members of this forum would say is the typical amount of time per year that most 5er spend using their RV, weeks - months, (excluding full timers). We are trying to get a handle on what is the minimum amount of RV time one should do to justify going to a 5er over a TT (larger TV required and higher RV cost). Also is any one willing to estimate what might be considered to be average monthly fuel and rental cost that should be budgeted for. We are not seeking detailed budgetary information but rather rough order of magnitude cost.

Thanks,

Mr & Mrs Rustymax:confused:

Rustymax, We started camping with a tent and gear strapped to the roof of a Datsun 510 .... primitive sites. (pit toilets, central water location) This was the cheapest way to travel with little investment. We had a lot of good times but as we matured :rolleyes: creature comforts became more important. We went from pop-up to truck camper to TT and finally to a small 5r. In my opinion there is no comparison to the stability of towing a fifth wheel over a TT. If you are planing long trips strongly consider the 5r. For short trips the TT has the advantage of one level comfort and less expensive cost for a comparable unit.
As mentioned above, what facilities you want will determine campground or resort fees. We have found that going slightly out of season can cut costs almost in half and still get full amenities.
We have a 2,500 mi trip planed for April and are not looking forward to paying over $4 a gallon fuel prices. With our present rig we do get good mileage but it still is a big chunk of our vacation budget. Hopefully retiring soon and planing more travel, fuel mileage played a big part in our choice of rig also.
Everyones RV expectations are different but at this time (and hopefully in the future) a fifth-wheel and a ¾ ton TV serves us best.
Sorry for the long post, Hank

andyrad
03-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Since you are retiring later this year I would advise buying this package once. I have seen a lot of co-workers buy tent trailers and within one or two years end up buying bigger trucks and TT's or 5ers becauser the tent trailer was too small or did not suit their needs. Think of what you might like to have and what you need. Add in some of the nice to haves and voila, you have a package that will keep you happy for years to come, as long as you stay away from the RV shows and sort. That just adds more to the want list and requires self control, something of which I lack.

Having to make changes to your truck and trailer configuration only costs more money because of depreciation. Buy a good solid newish truck and trailer to keep the hassles to a minimum. There should be lots of deals out there with the recession still an ongoing issue south of the 49th.

jq1031
03-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Andyrad...thats some pretty good advise!

Jim W
03-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Rusty,
In my opinion, I believe the cost would almost be negligible between a 5er and a TT. Other then cost of a tow vehicle for the 5er, which may or may not be that much. Depending if you need to buy a new TV for the TT.
To me you still need to pay for the camping site and this cost is the same for a TT or 5er. I have never seen a differential cost difference between a 5er and a TT for a camp site
I am not sure on the amount of fuel it would take to pull a large TT. To me this would all depend on the fuel efficiency of the TV towing the TT.
I can only tell you what we spend on fuel when pulling our 5er. Last year we spent $1,100 in fuel pulling our 5er for 4,063 miles. We took a two week trip in June to the Smokey Mountains and then camp one weekend a month in April, May, July, August, Sept and Oct. This also cost us approximately $1,100. We normally get full hook-ups with 50 AMP service and pull thru sites. We use either private campgrounds or Core of Engineering parks.
We are planning a three week trip in Aug-Sept to Yellowstone and have budget $1,500 for fuel. This year I think we will spend close to $2,500 for fuel for the entire year. We have every month booked so far except Oct., my DW can not decide between southern IL or south west WI.
One more thing you will need to consider is INS cost and storage cost if you can not store on your property. We can not, so this is about $600 a year in storage fees.This is figured by so much a foot, a TT will cost the same as a 5er in storage cost.
My DW and I are also retired. I have been since Jan. 2009, and my wife this year.
Jim W.
Jim W.

Bob Landry
03-14-2011, 04:32 PM
If I had to pull a number for per-night cost out of my back pocket, I would guess anywhere between $300 and $500 a night, especially if you are going to upgrade trailer and truck together and you're a weekend warrior. Throw that number at a RV salesman that's trying to sell you a trailer and watch him dance around.:D

Houndie Dog
03-14-2011, 05:25 PM
We purchased a fifthwheel that was more than we needed so that we would not get caught up in shopping for an upgrade or wishing we had something bigger. We never planned on taking long trips and the majority of our camping is within 1 hour of home. We camp twice a month (every other weekend) when the weather is nice and have a great time.

Camping spot for 2 days runs about 70.00 for full 50 amp hookup,sewer and water in a nice state park. Fuel runs about 30.00 per weekend.
So, we spend about 200.00 per month camping.

Our RV storage is 65.00 per month, but you can get that cheaper if you don't have a paved secure lot.

The tow vehicle and RV payment are whatever you can afford.

I am not a believer that you have to travel far from home to have a great weekend.

Rustymax
03-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Once again the members of this forum have generously shared from their experience and provided us with excellent information. We will gratefully take what has been offered as it becomes another arrow in our quiver. Our purchasing decision will not be finalized until late fall. We still have a pop-up (man am I feeling old) and will spend as much time as possible this summer camping in a national forest, canvassing the 5ers that we meet about their RV and tow vehicle selection. Our basic plan is to take advantage of the higher fuel cost and slower sales that we anticipate will occur this fall. We will continue to follow this forum closely and will post any other questions that you all may be able to help us with.

Thanks,

Mr. & Mrs Rustymax

jje1960
03-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Once again the members of this forum have generously shared from their experience and provided us with excellent information. We will gratefully take what has been offered as it becomes another arrow in our quiver. Our purchasing decision will not be finalized until late fall. We still have a pop-up (man am I feeling old) and will spend as much time as possible this summer camping in a national forest, canvassing the 5ers that we meet about their RV and tow vehicle selection. Our basic plan is to take advantage of the higher fuel cost and slower sales that we anticipate will occur this fall. We will continue to follow this forum closely and will post any other questions that you all may be able to help us with.

Thanks,

Mr. & Mrs Rustymax

Tents 2 21'-TT to 27'-TT 2 current. Current included a new TV, we went to the upper extreme (for us) and are very satisfied. Our advise, consider more truck than you need if you can swing it, enjoy planning around your imagination not the TV's specs for your adventures. Just our 2 cents.