PDA

View Full Version : Trailer King Tire Exploded at 75% Load

bdaniel
01-04-2015, 01:09 PM
A few hours after getting my rig weighed on Dec 30 I had a catastrophic tire failure on a Trailer King "Special Trailer" ST MADE IN CHINA tire with 5500 miles and 9 months in my possession. It was properly inflated and not over loaded.

I have written about my experience on my website along with many photos, the CAT scale receipt, all my tire and axle ratings and actual weights on that night along with how I solved the problem.

I hope this will help someone.

http://www.bobbystuff.com/RV/index.php?blog=2014-another-exploding-st-special-trailer-tire

Thanks,
Bobby

larry337
01-04-2015, 01:29 PM
Wow! As the owner of a brand new Cougar with the same tires that is not very comforting to know. Out of curiosity what are the issues others might have using LT tires on an RV?

bdaniel
01-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Just Google. You will find many opinions. It is like talking religion.

One of the links in that blog was about the exploding Carlisle tires I had in 2002 and how I replaced them with LT tires. If you did not see it, here is the link

http://www.bobbystuff.com/RV/index.php?blog=2003-16-inch-tires

There is a lot of good info in that blog.

The biggest thing is to make sure the width of your rim works with the LT tire. Also make sure the weight capacity is there. If you go with a larger or wider tire, is there enough space?

As far as side wall stiffness, or special chemicals in ST tires, etc. my experience over 10 years and 50,000+ miles is that does not matter.

My LT tires have never failed me and I can drive 80+ MPH if I want. I've never had a flat on a LT tire on a 5th wheel.

Did you know ST tires can not be towed over 65 MPH? I now have had two explosions of ST tires, one on 2002 and now in 2014. Also one side wall hen egg bubble of an ST tire in 2002.

After 10 years ST tires are still MADE IN CHINA junk.

Bobby

Rex1vt
01-04-2015, 04:30 PM
Larr337- Had a 235/80/R16 Trailer King failure on 2014 Cougar 327 on 12/23/2014 5000 miles.Five new Maxxis ST on order,HERES HOPING.

GmaPaTime
01-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Thank you " bdanial " for posting this and glad to hear everything turned out ok.

Just showed this to the DW to explain why I want to replace the tires on our new trailer.

larry337
01-04-2015, 06:35 PM
Larr337- Had a 235/80/R16 Trailer King failure on 2014 Cougar 327 on 12/23/2014 5000 miles.Five new Maxxis ST on order,HERES HOPING.

Not what I want to hear.:( New tires wasn't on my list of mods for my new trailer. Has anyone here had better luck with these tires?

sourdough
01-04-2015, 06:39 PM
bdaniel -

I'm sure you've made all the contacts on the pre-mature blowout of your tire, and I'm sure you aren't shopping for more Trailer Kings, but you might contact the distributor for the tires and see if they might help out toward your purchase of "other" tires"bouncey: Or, you might want to let them know how you feel:eek: Here's some info you might be able to use:

Olga Fraga - Consumer relations
TBC Wholesale
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
800-238-6469
[email protected]

Just some info in case anyone might have a desire to express their concerns.....:D

CWtheMan
01-04-2015, 08:27 PM
I can’t tell from your pictures what started the failure. Probably sudden impact in the vicinity of the two vertical tears. I don’t think it was a tread separation because I couldn’t detect any melted threads. I’m surprised the people at discount tire didn’t give you some feedback on the failed tire.

I hope you got a warranty written by Discount Tire for the Michelin tires. Michelin will nor warranty any of their LT tires used to replace Original Equipment ST tires. Actually I’m surprised that a large Discount Tire retailer like the one in Jacksonville wouldn’t have asked you questions about their usage. I doubt that they registered them. You can get blank registration papers on the net and register them yourself.

Sometimes the misuse of OE tires can be traced back to the delivery drivers or dealers. Probably the miles you have put on them will take that path to a dead end.

Personally I would not mention your replacement choice as an option. And, I would never make a recommendation for them because of the misapplication problem. However, they have plenty of reserve load capacity for your application and they should serve well as trailer tires.

CW

Desert185
01-05-2015, 01:02 AM
I pulled the china bombs off the SRX before our big holiday trip. So far, over 2,200 miles on the Maxxis ST's (Thailand) with no issues.

Maxxis also makes a great quad tire, BTW.

From chilly College Station/Bryan tonight and loving the "fireplace".

bdaniel
01-05-2015, 03:21 AM
There was no sudden impact to the tire. The road was light color concrete on a clear night with no rain. There was no traffic around to distract me. I did not have a sudden impact. I was driving within the MPH limit for ST tires and clearly was not over loaded. Temperature was not an issue. The tire simply lived up to its reputation as a China bomb.

Discount Tire made sure the weight rating of the LT tires still worked with the toy hauler by checking the sticker on the side of the toy hauler.

I don't ever expect to have any issues with the LT tires. Regarding warranty I have yet to determine if Trailer King even has one they will honor.

Bobby

Javi
01-05-2015, 04:10 AM
Sorry for your troubles with the tires and hope everything works out for you with the LT tires...

Somehow I feel compelled to say this.... If I changed tires every time someone else had a blowout with a particular brand, by now I'd be reduced to running on steel wheels... :D

You can find someone who has had a bad experience with EVERY brand tire on the market, even Michelin, and Goodyear.

Will I replace my brand new tires because you had bad luck with them on two separate occasions... NO

Will I replace them with the same tire when they have reached the end of their service life or I have a blowout... NO, but that's because I tend to buy the best tire I can afford that fits my application.

bsmith0404
01-05-2015, 07:07 AM
I have run these tires for several thousand miles without any issues. The tire monitors show very equal heat and pressure build up in each. The right front would heat up/build up quicker, but once up to temp, they all equaled out. I'm curious what yours would have shown.

With that said, I did just switch to Carlisle F load range tires. I gained 1600 lbs in load capacity. My trailer loaded is about 1000 lbs heavier than yours on the axles. The first thing I noticed with the Carlisles and extra load capacity is there is a lot less sidewall deflection (squat). I also added steel valve stems to the wheels, I had just a slight bit of rub with the tire monitors on the high pressure rubber stems.

Rex1vt
01-05-2015, 07:10 AM
Sourdough- I called Olga about the Trailer King tires, before I even put the Cougar on the road,after reading the forum China Bomb comments. I got nothing from her except very poor lip service. I am waiting to hear from them again via the dealer regarding my tire failure but expect more of the same.Please advise if you have had better results.

JRTJH
01-05-2015, 07:31 AM
Don't forget the NHSTA. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

bdaniel
01-05-2015, 07:32 AM
I have run these tires for several thousand miles without any issues. The tire monitors show very equal heat and pressure build up in each. The right front would heat up/build up quicker, but once up to temp, they all equaled out. I'm curious what yours would have shown.

With that said, I did just switch to Carlisle F load range tires. I gained 1600 lbs in load capacity. My trailer loaded is about 1000 lbs heavier than yours on the axles. The first thing I noticed with the Carlisles and extra load capacity is there is a lot less sidewall deflection (squat). I also added steel valve stems to the wheels, I had just a slight bit of rub with the tire monitors on the high pressure rubber stems.

On my previous Copper Canyon I had 15 inch rims and replaced a couple of the tires with Carlisle. They have a new model of tire that they think highly of. I did not put many miles on the tires before trading the RV so I have no idea how well they would have worn. The existing ST tires wore out quicker than I thought they should have with uneven wear but they did not explode. I wish I could remember the brand of tires on the Copper Canyon.

Check the speed rating for the Carlisles. I thought I saw 62 MPH on the Discount Tire website.

Metal valve stems are smart.

Good luck,
Bobby

larry337
01-05-2015, 10:06 AM

When you say "these tires" do you mean the Trailer Kings?

Rex1vt
01-05-2015, 03:30 PM
JRTJH- The NHSTA information which covered complaints filed on different tire manufacturers was very helpful, thank you for the heads up.I would certainly encourage anyone with tire concerns to use the resource when making a new selection.

Desert185
01-05-2015, 04:01 PM
So if Maxxis tires are not on the list can one assume there are no reported complaints?

bsmith0404
01-05-2015, 05:53 PM
When you say "these tires" do you mean the Trailer Kings?

Yes the Trailer Kings that came as OE on the camper.

Ken / Claudia
01-05-2015, 10:25 PM
I wish we could learn what may have caused the blow out or what the tire shop said.

bdaniel
01-06-2015, 03:52 AM
I wish we could learn what may have caused the blow out or what the tire shop said.

TBC will be forwarding my claim on to one of the three manufacturers that make tires for the Trailer King brand today after I get the DOT number for her.

I will let the forum know what happens.

Bobby

TomHaycraft
01-06-2015, 05:05 AM
I'll stoke the fire on this one a bit ...

The Trailer King tire that exploded ... had it been balanced?

Until someone shows me the data, I feel that needs to be part of the equation and part of the discussion when talking about relative risk for tire failure. Certainly, not all unbalanced tires fail; however, the stress placed on a tire pounding from being out of balance, must play a part in the life of a tire.

JRTJH
01-06-2015, 05:19 AM

Until someone shows me the data, I feel that needs to be part of the equation and part of the discussion when talking about relative risk for tire failure. Certainly, not all unbalanced tires fail; however, the stress placed on a tire pounding from being out of balance, must play a part in the life of a tire.

I agree. The repeated, rapid bouncing will cause excessive sidewall flex as well as possible tread scuffing which can lead to damage. Both will increase heat, set up abnormal stress points and can easily lead to tire failure either from sidewall failure or tread separation. As stated, not all unbalanced tires fail, but unbalanced tires can lead to increased failure rates.

To a point that was made earlier regarding tread separation/failure. One wouldn't necessarily hit a bump or obstacle and have "IMMEDIATE" tread failure. One could hit a pothole and start the process, not even notice it on close tire inspection and experience tire failure several thousand miles later when the damaged area separates to a point of failure. As with many issues, a little damage can grow into a significant issue over time, especially with repeated use/stress. Damage isn't always immediately catastrophic.

bsmith0404
01-06-2015, 05:25 AM

Interesting thought. I've never seen tires balanced on a new RV from the factory. ST tires are notorious for being out of balance. In fact, the new tires I just put on mine all took about 3-4 oz to balance....not bad, but I had to wait for DT to order a new one because one they mounted need 8.5 oz. They said they would not put that tire on any vehicle, I was feeling the same way. Makes me wonder how much additional abuse that tire/suspension would have taken if it had just been mounted, not balanced, and then run down the road at 60/65 for several thousand miles.

bdaniel
01-06-2015, 06:06 AM
Regarding tire balance, the tire was in the same state and location as it came from the factory. I never did anything but check air pressure before each trip.

Regarding hitting things with the tire. I don't recall ever hitting anything but if I did then the two truck tires hit the same debris.

Bobby

cabinfever
01-06-2015, 06:34 AM
IMO, I will have to agree somewhere that tire took a hard hit. Being on the curb side it may have been a curb, storm drain, etc. Could have been damaged at the RV Dealers lot or on the way from the factory. The more likely, because of speed factor at time of impact, was a pot hole or other obstacle in the road. Again, chances are the tire was damaged before you took delivery and was just a matter of time before it let go. Many times after a hard hit the damage is not visible from the outside of the tire either. The outside may just show a scuff while on the inside more damage is visible. I agree with Javi, EVERY manufacture has had a failure. Most failures are not a product of a bad tire. Most are from road damage and under inflation.

Desert185
01-06-2015, 07:28 AM
It seems pretty clear that the chinese tires suffer random failures more than non-chinese tires. The solution to minimize random failures? Install non-chinese tires. At least that is my solution...and to be fair, Sailun's may be the exception to the rule.

bdaniel
01-06-2015, 07:40 AM
DOT 0913 so I think that means Sep 2013.

Anyway Crown Tire made Trailer King tires during that time and someone from China will be contacting me......

Bobby

JRTJH
01-06-2015, 08:15 AM
DOT 0913 so I think that means Sep 2013.

Anyway Crown Tire made Trailer King tires during that time and someone from China will be contacting me......

Bobby

LOL I hope you can read Chinese :) And DOT0913 means the 9th week of 2013. That would be somewhere around Feb 24 - Mar 2, 2013.

carwheel_09
01-06-2015, 08:40 AM
I bought a 2014 Montana 3610rl in November. It was built in March of 2014. It had Power King Tow Max STR tires on it. When I looked at the tire date they were made in late 2012. Not really that old but decided to replace them with a fresh set of Maxxis tires. When tire dealer pulled them off one of the had defect. After reading all the posts about blowout glad I did. New tires were less expensive than paying my $1500 dollar deductible and I have peace of mind.

carwheel_09
01-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Forgot to add I use Dyna Beads to balance the tires. If you use them you will also need to the have filtered valve cores. Used Helium on this set of tires don't have the pressure changes due to temperature changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken / Claudia
01-06-2015, 11:14 AM
Good to know they will advise you about what caused the failure. It might take a few months to hear back but, let us know. As we all know the tires do fail and do so for many reasons. Most posters on here just show or print about a tire blowing up. Understanding why will only help all on this site. Thanks

Rex1vt
01-06-2015, 04:32 PM
DESERT185- Maxxis are by Cheng Shin,they are on the list and have a near clean slate.

CWtheMan
01-06-2015, 05:11 PM
The generic Keystone Owner’s manual (04-14) does not mention tire balancing.

The Trailer King tires (Vanderbilt umbrella) warranty does not mention tire balancing.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/894590/krv_owner_s_manual_-_2015_-_3-19_-_1545.pdf

http://www.trailerkingtires.com/tires/Landing.aspx?application=warranty

CW

p.s. Some tire manufacturers do not allow any form of liquid or solid substances to be inserted into some of the tires they manufacturer. It would be best to check your tire warranty before using balancing beads of any form.

(I've already looked, Maxxis does not mention anything about it in their trailer tire warranty).

denverpilot
01-06-2015, 07:47 PM
Forgot to add I use Dyna Beads to balance the tires. If you use them you will also need to the have filtered valve cores. Used Helium on this set of tires don't have the pressure changes due to temperature changes.

Helium? I hope you meant to say Nitrogen. Even then, since the atmosphere is made up of 78% Nitrogen, you're only replacing the other 21% O2.

The folks at Edmunds did the math and found the test results from others and compiled it into an article, and unless you're getting a Nitrogen fill for free, it's probably not worth it.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/should-you-fill-your-cars-tires-with-nitrogen.html

That 21% doesn't amount to much of a pressure difference.

Even if you are getting it for free, ask the nitrogen filler what purity their nitrogen fill is. None are 100%.

randy69
01-06-2015, 08:03 PM
I can’t tell from your pictures what started the failure. Probably sudden impact in the vicinity of the two vertical tears. I don’t think it was a tread separation because I couldn’t detect any melted threads. I’m surprised the people at discount tire didn’t give you some feedback on the failed tire.

I hope you got a warranty written by Discount Tire for the Michelin tires. Michelin will nor warranty any of their LT tires used to replace Original Equipment ST tires. Actually I’m surprised that a large Discount Tire retailer like the one in Jacksonville wouldn’t have asked you questions about their usage. I doubt that they registered them. You can get blank registration papers on the net and register them yourself.

Sometimes the misuse of OE tires can be traced back to the delivery drivers or dealers. Probably the miles you have put on them will take that path to a dead end.

Personally I would not mention your replacement choice as an option. And, I would never make a recommendation for them because of the misapplication problem. However, they have plenty of reserve load capacity for your application and they should serve well as trailer tires.

CW american tire will warrenty Michelin LT ribs.And highly recommend it over any ST Chinese bomb. Bought 7 of them. Dam expensive. But what's your family scurity worth. 6 year warrenty no interest up to a year. I will be selling my rig by that time.

CWtheMan
01-07-2015, 12:04 AM
This statement is also in their operating procedures. Wonder how they gaff that off?

“Make sure the tire has load carrying capacity equal to or greater than what the vehicle placard suggests.” Item #1 under upsizing.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/infoSelectingTire.do

CW

Rex1vt
01-07-2015, 01:49 AM
JRTJH- The NHTSA site has a Power King Towmax sort which shows Cooper Tire as the manufacture, but nothing for the PK Trailer King model, do you have any insight on that?

bsmith0404
01-07-2015, 05:40 AM
ST tires are difficult to get a good balance, but worth it. due to the construction, weight, and sidewall height they typically take a lot of weight. Balancing beads would be a good option to consider, as mentioned most tire manufacturers recommend against it. Personal opinion, they recommend against it due to the construction of some beads being made of a glass compound that can eat away at the inside of the tire (my opinion based on what I have read). Dyna beads are a ceramic construction. I use them in the tires on my truck, they work great, but are expensive, about $95 for 4 tires. You would need 6 oz per tire. Due to cost, I don't use them on the RV, I figure once per year I can let DT balance them for free. Good time to get a real good look at everything on the suspension.

JRTJH
01-07-2015, 06:45 AM
JRTJH- The NHTSA site has a Power King Towmax sort which shows Cooper Tire as the manufacture, but nothing for the PK Trailer King model, do you have any insight on that?

I've got no concrete data to tie Cooper Tire Co to PowerKing or to Kenda Tire, but Cooper does own the Cooper Chengshan (Shandong) Tire facility. I can't find a clear, concise listing of the brands of tires produced there. With the "intermingled investment strategy" used to confuse overseas holdings and investments, who knows what company really produces what brands either for their own market or to sell to the competition markets.

sourdough
01-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Rex1vt

No, I did not get a firm resolution from Olga or the distributor. Mine was a different situation and hoped they might be of assistance....but, should have known better:( .

carwheel_09
01-07-2015, 01:17 PM
I did mean Nitrogen, it's free for me. Never used it before but thought I'd give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desert185
01-07-2015, 08:05 PM
DESERT185- Maxxis are by Cheng Shin,they are on the list and have a near clean slate.

Taiwan Chinese and made in Thailand, FWIW. Ford made the Pinto, but they also make Lincoln. Cheng Shin's are crap tires. Maxxis are not in the Pinto category...so far.

Balanced. Metal stems. They hold air. So far, I like them. Their radial ATV tires are great.

Rex1vt
01-09-2015, 07:38 AM

I did not have a blow out, only a bubble on the sidewall. I showed a picture of the bubble to a TBC rep who stated I must have hit something,the case was closed with no warranty coverage.They are happy, I am not,no way to dispute with any success.

Ken / Claudia
01-09-2015, 10:02 AM
I have had 2 goose eggs as I called them on sidewalls both caused from hitting curbs on a personal truck and police car. Seen a few more of them on other guys patrol cars tires. I was told the cord or belt breaks in the side wall and causes that.

buzzcop63
01-09-2015, 03:45 PM
Purchased our trailer new in March of 2012, unit came with ST225/75RF15 LR D Power King tires with 2,270 miles on them at present and a manufacturing date of Nov 2011. I purchased Tire Minder and monitor all four tires on our trailer due to reading so many problems with China tires. To date my tires have given me no problem but by monitoring the Tire Minder I have been made aware that traveling over 55 MPH that the temperature rises as well as the tires PSI. Every stop we take I do a walk around to check truck and trailer tires by hand for heat as well as the trailers wheel bearings. Tires are kept covered when in storage but do sit on Asphalt for 5 or more months during the winter. Note that sun side of trailer tires run hotter then shaded side and second tire runs hotter thn the front tire.
The Carlisle Radial TrailRH, here is what they say:
– Any tire, no matter how well constructed, may fail when in use
because of punctures, impact damage, improper inflation,
overloading, or other conditions resulting from use, misuse
or neglect.
– High speed towing in hot conditions degrades tires significantly.
– Best practice. Do not exceed 60 mph while towing a trailer.
– Most ST trailer tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.
– Load carrying capacity decreases as heat and stress generated by
higher speed increases.
– Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
– 3 to 5 years is the average life expectancy of a trailer tire,
regardless of mileage.
– It is estimated that in approximately three years, roughly
one-third of a tire's strength is gone.
– After three years, depending upon storage and conditions of
usage, consider replacing trailer tires even if they have tread
depth remaining.
– After five years, trailer tires should be replaced in all cases.
en tire in front.

cheatham09
02-27-2015, 02:32 AM
Are you saying Max pressure is 80 lbs ???
On the tire that blown, and how much air was in that tire?

bdaniel
03-04-2015, 11:16 AM
To follow up on my initial post.

Today the tire manufacturer has compensated me for 2 tires and the damage done to my 5th wheel.

I am satisfied with the result.

Bobby

CWtheMan
03-04-2015, 03:09 PM
A few hours after getting my rig weighed on Dec 30 I had a catastrophic tire failure on a Trailer King "Special Trailer" ST MADE IN CHINA tire with 5500 miles and 9 months in my possession. It was properly inflated and not over loaded.

I have written about my experience on my website along with many photos, the CAT scale receipt, all my tire and axle ratings and actual weights on that night along with how I solved the problem.

I hope this will help someone.

http://www.bobbystuff.com/RV/index.php?blog=2014-another-exploding-st-special-trailer-tire

Thanks,
Bobby

I was reviewing the information in this tread again today. Whoever evaluated your failures doesn't know a hoot about impact damages. But, that's water over the dam as you got a nice settlement.

The reason for this post is an error I made the first time around. It's quit clear in one of your pictures that the failed tire in the picture has a speed rating of 75 MPH. I copied the picture and enlarged it and sure enough there is a speed letter L on that tire.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=27722

CW

Ken / Claudia
03-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Well, at least a story with a happy ending. I sure am glad they stepped up took care of you.

bdaniel
03-04-2015, 04:10 PM
I was reviewing the information in this tread again today. Whoever evaluated your failures doesn't know a hoot about impact damages. But, that's water over the dam as you got a nice settlement.

Not sure I understand you. I did not hit anything. They asked for more photos and I sent them. There was never any haggling with them over whether the tire was defective. We negotiated a little over the repair estimate. I even got them to pay for two tires. The whole process was time consuming because of the time difference and the multiple parties involved. But the process was easy and they accepted liability quickly.

This has happened to me before. The tire simply exploded due to poor quality.

bdaniel
03-04-2015, 04:12 PM
Well, at least a story with a happy ending. I sure am glad they stepped up took care of you.

Thanks. It is still a pain and doesn't pay for the 4 new tires and damage but much better than nothing and certainly better than I expected.

Bobby

randy69
03-04-2015, 05:21 PM
american tire will warrenty Michelin LT ribs.And highly recommend it over any ST Chinese bomb. Bought 7 of them. Dam expensive. But what's your family scurity worth. 6 year warrenty no interest up to a year. I will be selling my rig by that time.

Follow up on my statement the manager of american tire recomended xp ribs and I do have road road hazard warrenty through american tire. They put them on and balance with steel valve stem. Again 6 year warrenty.

precab
01-15-2020, 02:13 PM
Don't forget the NHSTA. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Glad to see these old posts and the DOT complaint link. Will be replacing my tires now for much better China tires. Have a year and a half on them and the dealer maint team did point out if I put a lot miles on them the tires are worth replacing.

Thanks again. See current DOT complaints below

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?searchType=PROD&prodType=T&targetCategory=A&searchCriteria.model=ST+RADIAL&stats=2002714%2C0%2C0%2C10%2C0%2CST+RADIAL&makeStats=&jsonBaseURL=%2Fdownloads%2Ffolders%2F&searchCriteria.make=TRAILER+KING&searchCriteria.prod_ids=2002714

BSam
06-28-2022, 03:11 PM
Our brand new, unused spare tire (manf date 4320) still mounted on the spare tire mount exploded sometime over the last couple months. Not sure when or how but since it was never used I’m not sure I even want them on the trailer at all as they are what came with the unit.

flybouy
06-28-2022, 03:57 PM
Ah yes, the dreaded Trailer Kings. Count your blessings it didn't happen while turning on the road at speed. Buy 5 new Carslise or Goodyesr endurance tires and trash those China bombs.

BSam
06-28-2022, 04:16 PM
We are currently looking. I only just discovered this yesterday. So thankful it was sitting in the driveway!

sourdough
06-28-2022, 04:29 PM
Don't be inclined to "save" the other ones because they look good...they will cause you grief at the worst time. As was recommended; Carlisle Radial HD or Goodyear Endurance. Bang for the buck goes to Carlisle IMO.

gearhead
06-28-2022, 06:56 PM
Yep bang for the buck is Carlisle HD at WalMart.com, not in the store. They should mount them on your wheels for free.
I've got 8 of them between 2 boats. Also, on a previous 5th wheel. No problems.
Sell the Trailer Kings to somebody you don't know.

BSam
06-28-2022, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the info! Those are the two we’ve been looking at. Gotta love the firsthand experience!

BSam
06-28-2022, 06:58 PM
Awesome! Thanks so much!

bsmith0404
06-28-2022, 07:06 PM
Also consider Hartland tires from Discount Tire. I have them on two RVs, car hauler, and utility trailer. Been using them exclusively for every trailer for the past 6 years without an issue. Have also recommended them to several friends who are using them without any problems.

BSam
06-28-2022, 07:20 PM
Also consider Hartland tires from Discount Tire. I have them on two RVs, car hauler, and utility trailer. Been using them exclusively for every trailer for the past 6 years without an issue. Have also recommended them to several friends who are using them without any problems.

Thanks! I’ll check it out!

Socaldave
06-29-2022, 08:39 AM
Goodyear still has a 20% discount on the Endurance if purchased directly through them. They shipped them to my nearest Just Tires for installation. OTD installed it was $545.53
Promo Code KOA-MEMBER20.

wiredgeorge
06-29-2022, 09:18 AM
An ironic article. First they say best trailer tire then show the tire on a Class A of some sort.... I suspect anything this website has to say needs to be carefully considered! Goodyear Endurance didn't make the list at all. Guess who is in 2nd place?

https://campersmarts.com/best-trailer-tires

BSam
06-29-2022, 10:49 AM
An ironic article. First they say best trailer tire then show the tire on a Class A of some sort.... I suspect anything this website has to say needs to be carefully considered! Goodyear Endurance didn't make the list at all. Guess who is in 2nd place?

Very interesting! ‘Some blowouts/failures’ as the only con item. Really.

flybouy
06-29-2022, 11:15 AM

Most publications use "stock pictures". So if the layout person sees a "insert tire picture here" they grab a picture of a tire as long as it fits in space they need to fill. As for their recommendation, well I've always been skeptical on that sort of thing. Even when I was very young I figured out that Motor Trend car of the year was the car that was advertised the most in the magazine.

wiredgeorge
06-29-2022, 01:45 PM
There are many RV related blogs out there spewing digital flatulence that a forum like this is a better gauge of product or technique performance. So many folks have had TK issues that seems to me a person choosing TKs from an article like the one I posted is not exercising discretion or good jusdgement.

Some of those other brands? Where the heck did the writer come up with those? And no Endurance mentioned?

flybouy
06-29-2022, 02:56 PM
You have know who's writing the peice.when our oldest daughter was away a college she was writing (using several aliases) for several large publications for income. I would get all sorts of calls from her like " Dad, how do you install ceramic tile?" Or "How do you install a trench drain in front of a garage door". I would laugh thinking these folks have no idea that the picture of the " author" (some male model) didn't write the column but my 19 yr old girl did.

wiredgeorge
06-29-2022, 07:20 PM
You have know who's writing the peice.when our oldest daughter was away a college she was writing (using several aliases) for several large publications for income. I would get all sorts of calls from her like " Dad, how do you install ceramic tile?" Or "How do you install a trench drain in front of a garage door". I would laugh thinking these folks have no idea that the picture of the " author" (some male model) didn't write the column but my 19 yr old girl did.

"Trench drain"? bwhahahahaha I think French drain sounds more appropriate. I hope you didn't tell that young kiddo of yours to put in a trench drain... :lol:

Mic
08-11-2022, 10:12 AM
so with all the blow out talk....

why not put regulars passenger truck tires (i have not had a blow out ever) on the trailer ???

flybouy
08-11-2022, 10:40 AM

why not put regulars passenger truck tires (i have not had a blow out ever) on the trailer ???

They will not support the weight of a ST tire in an equivalent size.

Mic
08-11-2022, 11:12 AM

gotcha

so to fit a regular truck load e tire is too big for it...

was thinking differently

rhagfo
08-11-2022, 01:27 PM

Based on blowouts of ST tires, maybe their weight rating is overstated! We run LT tires on our 5er.

travelin texans
08-11-2022, 01:46 PM

The load carrying capacity is higher, ST sidewalls are typically stiffer to handle the scrubbing in tight turns whereas LTs a less stiffer to help improvethe ride & typically overall heavier, as far a weight, than LT tires.
LT = light truck, ST = special trailer.
DWs know it all BIL bought a used 5th wheel approximately 30-32' 10-12k lbs, 1st stop is at the local mom n pop farm store for brand new P235×15 tires inflated to 30 psi then is in shock when in about 30-40 miles he's blowing tires & can't understand why, P = passenger car tires. DW says aren't you gonna tell him.why & I said nope he's owned a rv for all.of 15 minutes & suddenly knows everything about them to hear him tell it.
IMHO whether LT, ST or whatever initials an E rated tire is not enough for a loaded 14-16k lb GVWR 5th wheel, Gs would/should be minimum. My .02 cents!!

Diver
08-14-2022, 03:04 PM
Did someone say ..TRAILER KING ....CHINA BOMB...
I lost 2 this last friday at 60 MPH

flybouy
08-14-2022, 03:24 PM
Did someone say ..TRAILER KING ....
I lost 2 this last friday at 60 MPH

Curious, were they OEM?

Diver
08-14-2022, 03:26 PM
yes they were on my 2018 rig but minimal wear / use look at the tread

Mic
08-14-2022, 03:33 PM
curious

can't a mfg offer quality tires sized for max acceptable load?

if this happened with cars ppl would have a class action lawsuit N NTSB would be all over them

flybouy
08-14-2022, 03:44 PM
yes they were 2018 rig but minimal wear / use look at the tread

Trailer tires age out, typically long before they wear out. With a 2018 rig the tires could have been manufactured in 2017. ST tires typically age out before 6 years. Some folks here on the forum replace them every 3 years, others every 5. Unfortunately they will not always show exterior defects before failing. I would replace all the tires (including the spare) with a quality tire. You'll get several opinions on what a "quality tire" is and lot will depend on what size tire it it.

jasin1
08-14-2022, 04:00 PM
get yourself a tpms system if you don’t already have one

sourdough
08-14-2022, 04:13 PM
yes they were on my 2018 rig but minimal wear / use look at the tread

The tire discussions on this and other RV forums are never ending, one of those constant conversation topics is the unreliability of Trailer King tires aka "China Bombs". At 4 years those tires were about 3 years 11 mos. past replacement time IMO. RV tires wear out by age, not use unless you run the highways a LOT. Trailer Kings don't wear out by age or time....they just fail. Pull them all off including the spare and get a GOOD set of tires, one load range above what come OE and giver 'er a whirl.

Mic
08-14-2022, 04:16 PM
Just Google. You will find many opinions. It is like talking religion.

One of the links in that blog was about the exploding Carlisle tires I had in 2002 and how I replaced them with LT tires. If you did not see it, here is the link

http://www.bobbystuff.com/RV/index.php?blog=2003-16-inch-tires

There is a lot of good info in that blog.

The biggest thing is to make sure the width of your rim works with the LT tire. Also make sure the weight capacity is there. If you go with a larger or wider tire, is there enough space?

As far as side wall stiffness, or special chemicals in ST tires, etc. my experience over 10 years and 50,000+ miles is that does not matter.

My LT tires have never failed me and I can drive 80+ MPH if I want. I've never had a flat on a LT tire on a 5th wheel.

Did you know ST tires can not be towed over 65 MPH? I now have had two explosions of ST tires, one on 2002 and now in 2014. Also one side wall hen egg bubble of an ST tire in 2002.

After 10 years ST tires are still MADE IN CHINA junk.

Bobby

curious

as I have ST tires and they say max 70 mph

sourdough
08-14-2022, 04:17 PM
curious

can't a mfg offer quality tires sized for max acceptable load?

if this happened with cars ppl would have a class action lawsuit N NTSB would be all over them

NTSB isn't going to delve into ST trailer tires. Much different than auto tires; far fewer users, far fewer failures and far more owner variable that can/could cause failure. Some will say to report all failures to NHTSA but as we can see, after all these years, that isn't going to work. The onus is on the owner and requires them to do their due diligence...just as every facet of RV ownership does.

Quality tires when trying to sell for the lowest price? Of course that won't happen and yes, the tires are sized and rated for the rated load...by the accepted math, which I don't accept BTW which requires replacing tires on a new trailer before it leaves the lot with me....part of the RV "game".

CWtheMan
08-22-2022, 06:18 AM
curious

as I have ST tires and they say max 70 mph

There is no speed letter for 70 MPH, therefore, the tire manufacturer can use option two and mold the speed rating onto the tire sidewall.

Publishing a tire speed rating is not acceptable without individual tire certification.

MJCougler
10-06-2022, 07:20 PM
I too agree with JRTJH. The repeated, rapid bouncing of an RV will cause excessive sidewall flex as well as possible tread scuffing which can lead to damage. Both will increase heat, set up abnormal stress points and can easily lead to tire failure either from sidewall failure or tread separation.

I also agree with the person above that stated whenever there is a blow-out, the second tire on that side of the RV receives a sudden increase in the load, for the distance it takes to get to the side of the road. This tire shock causes unknown damage in severity to the "good" tire.

There a few things no one has mentioned in this strand: First, let me tell my story...

Within two years of purchasing my 2012 Keystone Laredo, I blew three Load range E tires. During the first blow-out I had exactly 80 PSI when I left upstate NY in March during a 1-week Easter school break. We spent the night in a Walmart parking lot in Hagerstown PA, and I did not check the tire pressure in PA that morning. We got to the Richmond I-95 bypass and the temperature had risen about 30 degrees. And, I had about 200 pounds of DJ gear (weight) against the rear wall of the RV that multiplied every time the trailer bounced over a bump. Boom. Fact: tire pressure increases as the surrounding temperature increases.

The Second failure was within a mile of pulling the RV out of the RV dealer's repair shop after fixing the damage from the first blow-out. And, it was the tire on the opposite side of the RV from the first blow-out. I did not check the tire pressure before I left the dealership. Boom. Fact: Sitting at the dealership, the tire pressures changed, and was not checked prior to traveling.

In my two complaints to the manufacturer distributor in Canada, they e-mailed me a "manufacturers tire information" sheet. In this manufacture's hand-out they stated that ST tires are only speed rated for 65 MPH. And, they stated that most tire failures are caused by improper tire pressure. They also sent me shipping labels to mail back the failed two tires for testing. All I can remember is the five tires from Keystone were made in China. Fact: Do not travel faster than 65 MPH, especially if the total load weight is not verified at a truck scale.

I bought two more (different) tire pressure gauges to check tire pressure after that. Is 80 PSI the same on each of the three gauge? No. I was also told it is better to be slightly over 80 PSI, rather than under. Fact: Before you leave for a trip, verify all tire pressures with several tire pressure gauges.

After the third failure in VA, on a hot day, at 64 MPH, I verified each of the five tires were the same brand and within a week of manufacture based on the codes on the side wall. They agreed to send me shipping labels for the failed tire and the fourth. They agreed to send me $100 for each failed tire, if I agreed to sign a "find no future fault" waiver. Fact: Also, verify the date of manufacture and R & R tires after they are 5-years old.

Each time I had a failure, I purchased the only tires I could find the day they failed, away from home, all made in China.

Now, ever sense these three blow-outs, I seldom let my speed go above 65 MPH, I purchased a compressor I carry in the front garage of my 5th wheel, and I had two annual NYS inspections that failed because of tread separation. Each inspector noticed the flat tire treads had rounded and they refused to issue or process the inspection paperwork.

The current tires are Load Range F, 12-ply rated, 3860 pounds (single). However, the two pairs of tires are only inflated to 85 PSI because the Keystone Aluminum rims are only rated for 80 PSI tires. Fact: it is dangerous to run load range F tires at 95 or 100 PSI if the wheels are only rated at 80 PSI.

Now a question: Am I damaging these tires by running them at only 85 PSI? And, are they going to fail prematurely, even if they are Load Range F rated, or made in China?

My 2-cents

Rocketsled
10-07-2022, 03:34 AM
NTSB isn't going to delve into ST trailer tires. Much different than auto tires; far fewer users, far fewer failures and far more owner variable that can/could cause failure. Some will say to report all failures to NHTSA but as we can see, after all these years, that isn't going to work. The onus is on the owner and requires them to do their due diligence...just as every facet of RV ownership does.

Quality tires when trying to sell for the lowest price? Of course that won't happen and yes, the tires are sized and rated for the rated load...by the accepted math, which I don't accept BTW which requires replacing tires on a new trailer before it leaves the lot with me....part of the RV "game".

My insurance is paying $2300 and I paid another large chunk of change to both put Trailer King tires on the trailer (under duress), and then replace them with Goodyear Endurance tires when one blew. (Story here: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51907 )

So we may be a smaller group of people, but they seem to happen at a statistically higher rate, and it costs the insurance company to recover their customers…The new trailer (‘19 GD) had a factory fit tire blow as well.

I guess it had the side effect of not affecting the sale as I’m now aware of just how may trailers it happens to.

I’ve seen far smaller effects generate much larger litigation.

CWtheMan
10-07-2022, 04:33 AM
I too agree with JRTJH. The repeated, rapid bouncing of an RV will cause excessive sidewall flex as well as possible tread scuffing which can lead to damage. Both will increase heat, set up abnormal stress points and can easily lead to tire failure either from sidewall failure or tread separation.

I also agree with the person above that stated whenever there is a blow-out, the second tire on that side of the RV receives a sudden increase in the load, for the distance it takes to get to the side of the road. This tire shock causes unknown damage in severity to the "good" tire.

There a few things no one has mentioned in this strand: First, let me tell my story...

Within two years of purchasing my 2012 Keystone Laredo, I blew three Load range E tires. During the first blow-out I had exactly 80 PSI when I left upstate NY in March during a 1-week Easter school break. We spent the night in a Walmart parking lot in Hagerstown PA, and I did not check the tire pressure in PA that morning. We got to the Richmond I-95 bypass and the temperature had risen about 30 degrees. And, I had about 200 pounds of DJ gear (weight) against the rear wall of the RV that multiplied every time the trailer bounced over a bump. Boom. Fact: tire pressure increases as the surrounding temperature increases.

The Second failure was within a mile of pulling the RV out of the RV dealer's repair shop after fixing the damage from the first blow-out. And, it was the tire on the opposite side of the RV from the first blow-out. I did not check the tire pressure before I left the dealership. Boom. Fact: Sitting at the dealership, the tire pressures changed, and was not checked prior to traveling.

In my two complaints to the manufacturer distributor in Canada, they e-mailed me a "manufacturers tire information" sheet. In this manufacture's hand-out they stated that ST tires are only speed rated for 65 MPH. And, they stated that most tire failures are caused by improper tire pressure. They also sent me shipping labels to mail back the failed two tires for testing. All I can remember is the five tires from Keystone were made in China. Fact: Do not travel faster than 65 MPH, especially if the total load weight is not verified at a truck scale.

I bought two more (different) tire pressure gauges to check tire pressure after that. Is 80 PSI the same on each of the three gauge? No. I was also told it is better to be slightly over 80 PSI, rather than under. Fact: Before you leave for a trip, verify all tire pressures with several tire pressure gauges.

After the third failure in VA, on a hot day, at 64 MPH, I verified each of the five tires were the same brand and within a week of manufacture based on the codes on the side wall. They agreed to send me shipping labels for the failed tire and the fourth. They agreed to send me $100 for each failed tire, if I agreed to sign a "find no future fault" waiver. Fact: Also, verify the date of manufacture and R & R tires after they are 5-years old.

Each time I had a failure, I purchased the only tires I could find the day they failed, away from home, all made in China.

Now, ever sense these three blow-outs, I seldom let my speed go above 65 MPH, I purchased a compressor I carry in the front garage of my 5th wheel, and I had two annual NYS inspections that failed because of tread separation. Each inspector noticed the flat tire treads had rounded and they refused to issue or process the inspection paperwork.

The current tires are Load Range F, 12-ply rated, 3860 pounds (single). However, the two pairs of tires are only inflated to 85 PSI because the Keystone Aluminum rims are only rated for 80 PSI tires. Fact: it is dangerous to run load range F tires at 95 or 100 PSI if the wheels are only rated at 80 PSI.

Now a question: Am I damaging these tires by running them at only 85 PSI? And, are they going to fail prematurely, even if they are Load Range F rated, or made in China?

My 2-cents

In models 2012 there was no requirement for RV trailer manufacturers to provide any load capacity reserves with Original Equipment (OE) tires. Without your trailer’s model we cannot check the specs for that particular model.

All ST tires without a speed rating letter or the actual speed restriction molded onto the tire sidewall default to a 65 MPH speed Rating. Since 2015 all ST tires have speed ratings molded onto the tire sidewall. Maxxis is the only brand name that has not done so.

You have answered your wheel PSI dilemma. It is unsafe to inflate tires on a wheel rated at 80 PSI to a higher cold value. Did you check your valve stems PSI limit?

If your OE tires (LRE) had insufficient load capacity reserves so do the LRF tires – same designated size - inflated to 80 PSI, cold.

The official way for a tire manufacturer to display a tire’s speed rating is by placing a speed restriction letter at the end of the tire’s load index as displayed in the picture below.

Another option – mostly found on China made ST tires – is by molding the actual speed rating onto the tire sidewall.

There is no speed letter for 65 MPH. It makes one wonder why TRA used a bastardized 65 MPH value.

lcarver02
02-12-2023, 10:24 AM
Get rid of all the China Bombs. Buy Goodyear Endurance, very good tires made in the USA. Air them to max pressure posted on the tire. Load E is 80 I believe. Best to go up one load range than you need, pay more now, avoid trouble later. Check before EVERY Trip with a quality digital gauge.

CWtheMan
02-12-2023, 01:34 PM
In models 2012 there was no requirement for RV trailer manufacturers to provide any load capacity reserves with Original Equipment (OE) tires. Without your trailer’s model we cannot check the specs for that particular model.

All ST tires without a speed rating letter or the actual speed restriction molded onto the tire sidewall default to a 65 MPH speed Rating. Since 2015 all ST tires have speed ratings molded onto the tire sidewall. Maxxis is the only brand name that has not done so.

You have answered your wheel PSI dilemma. It is unsafe to inflate tires on a wheel rated at 80 PSI to a higher cold value. Did you check your valve stems PSI limit?

If your OE tires (LRE) had insufficient load capacity reserves so do the LRF tires – same designated size - inflated to 80 PSI, cold.

The official way for a tire manufacturer to display a tire’s speed rating is by placing a speed restriction letter at the end of the tire’s load index as displayed in the picture below.

Another option – mostly found on China made ST tires – is by molding the actual speed rating onto the tire sidewall.

There is no speed letter for 65 MPH. It makes one wonder why TRA used a bastardized 65 MPH value.

For many years there were no speed letters on ST tires. The TRA set their speed rating at 65 MPH. You can thank President Trump for speed letters/ratings for ST tires.

Diver
03-28-2023, 06:16 PM
get yourself a tpms system if you don’t already have one

i check my tires all the time
trust me it was not a pressure issue .. they were at proper pressure ..
and made a hell of a bang when they deflated ...

jasin1
03-29-2023, 05:10 AM
i check my tires all the time
trust me it was not a pressure issue .. they were at proper pressure ..
and made a hell of a bang when they deflated ...

the TK tires are junk for sure…just pointing out to get a tpms no matter what tire brand you have ..i had a tk tire pick up a screw or nail at a truck stop …. (have you ever looked at the parking lot at a truck stop or the truck side of a rest stop? ..looks like all trucks haul screws and nails packed inside crab traps) …my tpms alarm went off shortly after and i watched the psi dropping..gave me time to pull over and change it before it caused any more damage…

won’t help in a blowout but not all tire problems are blowouts

sourdough
03-29-2023, 05:17 AM
the TK tires are junk for sure…just pointing out to get a tpms no matter what tire brand you have ..i had a tk tire pick up a screw or nail at a truck stop …. (have you ever looked at the parking lot at a truck stop or the truck side of a rest stop? ..looks like all trucks haul screws and nails packed inside crab traps) …my tpms alarm went off shortly after and i watched the psi dropping..gave me time to pull over and change it before it caused any more damage…

won’t help in a blowout but not all tire problems are blowouts

I would also note to be sure and put a sensor on the spare. Had a spare repaired, placed back on the spare rack and noticed the next morning it had lost 40psi - the repair didn't hold. I was able to have that fixed and no big deal vs assuming all was good and finding a flat when I needed to use it.