PDA

View Full Version : Modify interior steps

toml-nm
02-12-2011, 09:56 PM
I recently purchased a Cougar 5th wheel, there are two steps from the living area to the bath/bedroom area, I would like to make three steps here, has anyone tried this. In checking the frame work I believe it can be done, will just take some work.

KanTC
02-13-2011, 09:20 PM
toml-nm

I wouldn't think that adding a step would be an issue as long as it doesn't interfere with your entry walk-way. If there's a vent or heat duct in the area of your steps, that's also something to consider.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot [& DH Kevin] :)

Tom and Kelley Crawford
02-16-2011, 05:12 PM
We too have a Cougar 5th wheel and the steps from the living area to the bedroom/bathroom area are very high. I would love to have 3 shorter steps so if you do this mod, please post pics.

byrdr1
02-17-2011, 01:14 PM
We too have a Cougar 5th wheel and the steps from the living area to the bedroom/bathroom area are very high. I would love to have 3 shorter steps so if you do this mod, please post pics.
Same here..
randy

KanTC
02-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Here's an idea for those of you wanting to *re-do* your interior steps.

http://www.rv-boondocking-the-good-life.com/rvstoragestairs.html

I remembered having it bookmarked... just had to locate it ;)

The links to the rest of his remodel project are here:

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2082

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

Maxzd
02-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Here's an idea for those of you wanting to *re-do* your interior steps.

http://www.rv-boondocking-the-good-life.com/rvstoragestairs.html

I remembered having it bookmarked... just had to locate it ;)

The links to the rest of his remodel project are here:

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2082

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

Interesting link KanTC. Thanks for posting. This unit looks like a complete overhaul, must be a complete interior remodel.

I've been thinking about this post, because I too think the stairs are mickey mouse. To be honest it doesn't bother me because I'm ridiculously tall, its just a poor design. For the rest of the family, it's pretty awkward especially my little guy.

I noticed in the brochure that some cougar 5th wheels have (or used to) come with a stair that flipped up and had a laundry shoot into the basement. Not the case with mine. It could have worked I suppose but they ran alot of wiring and what-not in this space instead.

My thought for a cougar RV (I have a 325srx 5th wheel) is to build a stairbox that I can finish outside the RV and then attach over existing. Essentially split the height of the first step in half by starting a stair tred on the main floor level. In theory (I haven't measured) First tred is on main floor 7" up and 10" deep. The stringer then rises up andhits middle of the existing "first step" where another 10" deep stair tred is. The third "step" is the top of the hallway. Again, dimensions might not exactly work like a house step but just have to see how it looks. I think it will look ok and not interfere with the walking area and access to the outside door. This RV carpet seems like it's in every unit so much be cheap. I would buy some to carpet the treds. The stringer I would make out of hardwood and stain cherry to match the cabinets.. So again, in theory I think it's better in my case to build on top of then have to open up and cut hallway back to achieve 3 stair cases.

I know whats below the stair because I cut into the basement to install a dirt devil vacuum and run my solar panel wiring back to the batteries. You could put new stairs in but a huge job plus to access the control panel you'd be standing on the stairs to use for sure...

Spring Project if I decide it will look proper and like factory finish.. I'll post further thoughts if I get motivated and get a template..

mike395
10-24-2011, 10:32 AM
This link to the you tube video shows what we did to solve the stair problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic_GNLS_rts

kenn209
10-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Can you do mine? Looks very nice!

hankpage
10-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Looks great ... well done, Hank

MILBY
10-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Our friends have a 326 and modified thier steps to make it three. We have a 327 and by the looks of it where the steps come down the door would not make it possible. If you or anyone figures it out let me know.

eds451
10-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Our 07 244rls originally had one TINY step. A friend modified his step longer for better footing and to use as misc tool storage. I did the same to mine. There is a heater duct flex pipe that comes up thru the lower floor to the bedroom under the step. The placement of the duct precludes making mine a three step arrangement. As a side note, when I was making the longer lower step I removed about 2.5 feet of excess flex tube.

mike395
10-25-2011, 03:58 AM
I recently purchased a Cougar 5th wheel, there are two steps from the living area to the bath/bedroom area, I would like to make three steps here, has anyone tried this. In checking the frame work I believe it can be done, will just take some work.
Please view the video and see our solution. From start to finish it took about 7 hours.

SteveC7010
10-25-2011, 04:29 AM
This link to the youtube video shows what we did to solve the stair problem.

WOW! Nicely done!

Has the point of that oddball angle of the upper level given any problems? Or have you given any thought to changing it out?

LarryL
12-06-2011, 08:57 AM
well after the last 2 week camping trip going up and down the 10 1/2 ''
stairs I now have the right stairs that keystone should have done in
the first place.

slewis95407
12-08-2011, 06:10 AM
Larry L

Nice job.

SteveC7010
12-08-2011, 07:42 AM
well after the last 2 week camping trip going up and down the 10 1/2 '' stairs I now have the right stairs that keystone should have done in the first place.

Larry,

Where did you get the matching carpeting material?

Nicely done!!

LarryL
12-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks when I put the fireplace in the entertainment cabinet I cut the carpet out and used for stairs. that 10 1/2'' stair had to go keystone needs to do
this mod,I think most of there trailers have just 1 step.

jje1960
12-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Wow, watched that video... really nice workmanship there, looks nice. Lucky the SRX stairs don't bother us, gotta kind of figure if they do.... it's time to hang-up the 5Ver in the first place. Now, remodeling the back is a different story! Would love to remove the rear door to the bay as well as the rear wall up to the ladder, would open-up the unit dramatically and allow a bit larger golf cart! One of those projects that I keep thinking about.

LarryL
12-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Its not about hanging up the 5er because I modified the steps
I like the look and the walk up and down is safer.
If you can live with the high step fine but don't put people down
for changing the steps. happy camping

jje1960
12-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Its not about hanging up the 5er because I modified the steps
I like the look and the walk up and down is safer.
If you can live with the high step fine but don't put people down
for changing the steps. happy campingDude, at ease.... Sorry you took this post like that, not intended AND I MEAN THAT. I have read so many posts of people complaining of their layout... that's where my post was coming from. At any-rate, sorry and apologize for the insensitive post as you have taken it, please have a great day and nice holiday season.

LarryL
12-08-2011, 04:34 PM
thanks for the apology,I just like to do mods to the 5er have had the trailer
just for a year now and have done a lot of mods to it I'm retired I have to do
something between trips.

jbsmith
12-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Any instructions or recommendations for removing the stair tread without causing any unnecessary damage? We also think the stairs are a bit steep and have an annoying squeak in the stair tread.

LarryL
12-28-2011, 04:08 PM
jbsmith you look for screws around the edge, I
just used a pry bar and went slow keystone
didn't put a lot of screws in mine I think 6
but if someone at there plant had time
to waist there could be more.
If you do the the stairs put pictures up
always like to see mods people have done.

slewis95407
01-05-2012, 01:56 PM
I finally modified my steps.

slewis95407
01-05-2012, 01:58 PM
More pictures
Thank you everbody for the inspiration.

LarryL
01-05-2012, 04:56 PM
nice job slewis95407 on the steps, isn't it
so much better then that one step.

slewis95407
01-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Larry L

It is so much better.
It didn't take too much work.

byrdr1
01-06-2012, 11:41 AM
When someone does a 327RES. I will be watching that one..
Good job ya'll.
randy

MILBY
01-09-2012, 02:38 PM
I posted earlier about the 327 we looked into it and the door is just to close. We did my friends 326 with no problem.

gwest62
02-19-2012, 05:04 PM
We would also like to add three steps to our 2010 326. Do you have any pictures of your friends 326?

f6bits
02-19-2012, 05:41 PM
The slewis posts above are from a 326. Or do you have a different 326? There’s also a LarryL post on page 1 or 2 of this thread with steps in a 326.

We would also like to add three steps to our 2010 326. Do you have any pictures of your friends 326?

LPW1962
02-24-2012, 08:45 AM
More pictures
Thank you everbody for the inspiration.
Steps look great! Did you re-use your carpet or get new? ...and if you got new, did you order from Keystone?

MILBY
02-24-2012, 02:02 PM
look up on this page a couple of post. Slewis I believe has a 326 and has pic on here and it looks like he has it down and looks real nice.

gwest62
02-24-2012, 07:03 PM
well after the last 2 week camping trip going up and down the 10 1/2 ''
stairs I now have the right stairs that keystone should have done in
the first place.
Larry, would you save me a lot of blood, sweat and tears by sharing the actual measurements of your stair mod with me? It would be MOST appreciated~!

SteveC7010
02-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Steps look great! Did you re-use your carpet or get new? ...and if you got new, did you order from Keystone?

I believe he stripped out the carpet from the floor of the entertainment center for the steps.

Edit 2/25/12: Another person who did a similar mod was the one that snagged the carpet from the bottom of the entertainment center.

slewis95407
02-25-2012, 06:44 AM
LPW1962

I reused the original carpet. Had to piece to gether near the cabinet. The carpet blends together and is not noticable. There is usable carpet under the entertainment center, but I did not use any of that carpet.

Tim&Patty
03-16-2012, 07:27 AM
After having 3 visitors + RHDW (Red Head Dear Wife) fall using the non-standard step to the bedroom and RHDW's complaint about having to steam the fold out of the carpet everytime we set up, it was time to take matters into my own hands. I really think 90% of our problems would be solved if manufactures required designers to spend two weeks camping in their designs. OK, off the soap box and get busy building one! Just a couple off photo here, the rest will be in our album with measurements.

Had the wood from another project, 3/4" sanded plywood (manufacture's 1/2"). The biggest cost was the carpet, besides driving to three box stores was buying 2X12' length of carpet (very close match in color, little longer shag) for $48. Built and carpeted in my shop, placed in 5er and screwed down. Another work of art with hidden storage with the first step being hinged.:bdance:

Tim&Patty
03-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Sorry, too many projects so little time, I've just uploaded the finished photos of my step modification + measurements to our album. So far this week:
1. Installed our SteadyFast System
2. Built and installed steps
3. Installed EMS
4. Installed second drain valve on the 1" 1/2 galley pipe (not reaching between tires anymore:banghead:)
Not bad for the first week of retirement well until RHDW informed me that she was taking Thurs & Fri off (Retired Unior rule violation IMHO)

reubenray
03-19-2012, 02:34 AM
Sorry, too many projects so little time, I've just uploaded the finished photos of my step modification + measurements to our album. So far this week:
1. Installed our SteadyFast System
2. Built and installed steps
3. Installed EMS
4. Installed second drain valve on the 1" 1/2 galley pipe (not reaching between tires anymore:banghead:)
Not bad for the first week of retirement well until RHDW informed me that she was taking Thurs & Fri off (Retired Unior rule violation IMHO)

I agree with the Retired Union violation, but my DW does not. I can retire in 1 year and 6 months, but may wait just a little longer. The DW has to wait 6 years.

LPW1962
03-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Well folks, we got the stair modification done on our Cougar 326MKS! Pretty easy, low cost and SOOO worth it! You don't feel like you are going to fall down face first from the hallway into the kitchen anymore! DH and I are just wondering when Keystone will "get it" and start placing this kind of arrangement in their designs.

Posting pics of the finished product...by the way we simply pulled the carpet from underneath the entertainment center to complete this. We also simply used the original stair tread for the top stair.:bdance:

Thanks!

Leslie & Greg W

Roller4Tan
12-11-2012, 08:47 PM
My attempt at adding a step on our 318SAB Cougar. Repaired the ductwork while I had it opened up (bad fit, hole in flex duct).:banghead:

LZScout
12-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Nicely done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike9661
12-14-2012, 02:09 PM
This is what I did with ours after the DW fractured her Femur last spring.

Roller4Tan
12-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Mike9661....
I like your shoe cubby hole.

starman
11-10-2013, 01:23 PM
We just completed the stair replacement in our 327RES. We're not carpenters so it was a bit of work but worth every bit of the time spent. I have a picture but have no idea how to post it. Let me know how and I will show you how it turned out.

starman
11-10-2013, 02:24 PM
I figured out how to attach a picture of the replacement stairs we did to convert the stairs from one step to two steps in our 5th wheel.

Wayne
11-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Nice job. I did this to our 299RKS & it really helps the knees. I wish I had done it sooner.

starman
11-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Thanks Wayne. We are very happy with them and they will also be a lot easier on the knees. The old steps were in there better than we thought they would be so it was more work than expected but we are glad we took on the challenge.

dankent
11-11-2013, 05:27 AM
Nice work ! :) very nice job.

This link to the you tube video shows what we did to solve the stair problem.

starman
11-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Thank you. We are very happy with the way they turned out. Yours are incredible. Very professional looking.

byrdr1
11-12-2013, 05:29 AM
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9562&highlight=steps
SEE this thread for more information on step mods.
randy

Jabber2Jake
11-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Nice job. I did this to our 299RKS & it really helps the knees. I wish I had done it sooner.

We have a 292RKS similar to yours. I would like to see some
pictures of your new steps. I was considering this mod, but
thought the steps would extend too far and interfere with the door entry.

Wayne
11-17-2013, 08:02 AM
JJake...I answered your PM. Sorry for the delayed response. Ck my photos.

Badlands Dog
02-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Good job Starman, that looks almost exactly what I did. I used cedar, stained it dark, but went over the top of the old stairs instead of removing them. Like you, I now have three steps at 7 inches each instead of one 10 inches and the other one 11 inches. My wife has some serious medical issues and was very difficult to negotiate the two huge steps; now it is so much easier for her. I left the top of the steps varnished, but I really like the carpet you've added. It looks great and it isn't that tough.

rjsurfer
02-21-2014, 01:37 AM
Please view the video and see our solution. From start to finish it took about 7 hours.

Sorry, I'm not sitting through a seven hour YouTube Video.

Ron W,

Jabber2Jake
02-21-2014, 04:11 PM
I've debated this for a while.
Have the Keystone Cougar 292RKS model.
Steps right next to the door, only two.
I've crashed and burned about three times,
Once a face plant, totally fell down major.
But, can't extend the steps, no room.
Now, I'm just resigned to carefully holding
on for dear life as I ascend or descend.
Hold on tight and don't let go till on terra firma!
:banghead:

Jabber2Jake
02-21-2014, 04:19 PM
For those with "RKS" Cougars...
I'm speaking of model "292RKS" year 2010
I have seen posts of step mods for 299, etc.
but 292RKS.....anyone ever add a 3rd step to this?
Yeah, I thought so. Nada!

JRTJH
02-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Is it possible to curve the steps toward the front door slightly and gain the 3 or 4" to get a third step in? We've got the 27RKS, but the steps are beside the front door, along the side wall, not out past the pantry/entry closet. The only way I see of adding another step, if it's even possible, would be to have the steps about 7" on the curb side and 10-11" on the street side.

Just a swag at one solution, you may find it impossible if you measure it out. I don't have access to a 292 to see how much space is really there.....