PDA

View Full Version : slide out doesn't retract w/o nudge

dlindsay001
02-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Hi, first time poster here. I just bought a 2003 Keystone Hornet Lite M25FL from a relative today. When it was used regularly last summer, it would occasionally have problems with the slideout. It slides out just fine, however, when you push the switch to retract it, sometimes it will not do anything unless you have someone go outside and push in on the slide out while the button is pushed. I am wondering if anyone has had this happen with their travel trailer. I would also like to know if there is some sort of maintenance that needs to be completed on a slide out such as lubrication, cleaning, adjustments etc. My first thought about this problem was that it needs to be cleaned and lubed and maybe there is a short in the switch. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts. I would like to try and diagnose/repair this before I take it to an RV tech.

hankpage
02-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Welcome to the forum. You most likly have a slide made by Lippert. You can find their manuals here http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55-slideout-owner-manuals&catid=38-owners-manuals&Itemid=66 Most manuals contain trouble-shooting guides and maintenance info. It sounds to me like it needs a minor adjustment. Again ... Welcome to the forum, Hank

Firecapt
02-11-2011, 07:54 PM
This problem can be caused by one of a few factors:

1) Your coach is not level (front to back & side to side).

2) The slide is not properly balanced or aligned.

3) The slide stops aren't set properly, causing the slide to "over shoot" the gear that drives the mechanism.

While there can be other problems, my guess is that one of the above is the cause. :)

Aside from lubricating the gears and gear tracks (assuming your slide is gear driven, not hydraulic) there is little maintenance to be performed on the mechanism. If you choose to lubricate the mechanism, make sure you are using a lubricant approved for the purpose. Regular oil/gear lube/grease is not the answer since it attracts dirt and grime. There are lubricant sprays approved for this purpose.

dlindsay001
02-12-2011, 05:24 AM
Alright, thank you for the replies, I am going to go look at it today if it gets warm enough and hopefully I can see the problem.