PDA

View Full Version : Bristol to Boone

gearhead
11-14-2014, 07:20 AM
I'm looking for info on how bad hwy 421 is from Bristol Tn to Boone NC. On maps it has a lot of switchbacks. I don't mind some interesting driving, but would rather it not be brutal. I want an alternative to interstate.

hankaye
11-14-2014, 08:18 AM
gearhead, Howdy;

Just cruised over it in Google Earth, a lot of the switchbacks appear
to be on the same elevation, which is a good thing. As a "US" hiway
they should be 9-12' * wide lanes and the curves should be able to support
a somewhat comfortable turn. Be on the look-out for Deer "in Rut" and
stacked leaves in curves. Deer for the obvious bit of them running out
into the roadway and the leaves for their slippage hazard that motorcyclists
are aware of.
Have fun ... :D

hankaye

* http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/geometric/pubs/mitigationstrategies/chapter3/3_lanewidth.cfm

KanTC
11-14-2014, 12:52 PM
From Bristol to Mountain City... "33 miles, 489 curves, 3 mountains, 1 valley"
http://www.421thesnake.com/

Plus, approx 24 miles to Boone.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

ncgrl1
11-14-2014, 01:37 PM
It's fun on a motorcycle, but pulling a camper would be interesting to say the least...

notanlines
11-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Gearhead, we had our smaller RV from Mountain City to Wilksboro this fall and it was fine. Scenic and certainly tolerable. The same road traveling from Bristol to Mountain City is a little curvy as previously stated. However, none of this is like Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee or The Mighty Python in Virginia.
After all, how bad can it be. It is a major highway and where do you have to be in a hurry? Take your time and enjoy the trip.

gearhead
11-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Thanks folks. Sounds doable. I'm familiar with 421 around Yadkinville from genealogy research. We have tickets to the April NASCAR race at Bristol and then next weekend at Richmond.
Plus it gives me another stay at Tanglewood RV Park in Clemmons NC. Love it.

jw99
11-14-2014, 09:25 PM
Or take 19E through Elizabethton to Newland and then 105 into Boone. A little longer but it is 4 lane nearly the whole way.

gearhead
11-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Or take 19E through Elizabethton to Newland and then 105 into Boone. A little longer but it is 4 lane nearly the whole way.

Yeah, that looks good. We're not in any hurry, just going to Clemmons.

gearhead
04-21-2015, 07:02 PM
Well, it wasn't TOO bad. We did 421 from Bristol to Clemmons. A lot of second gear pulls. Not much traffic. Once down to Wilksboro it was smooth sailing. They could do some road work in the mountains. A few deep drop offs on the insides of some switchbacks.
If you are horsepower challenged it could be interesting.