PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning debris from top of slide-outs

lescarp2
02-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Looking for suggestions on the best way to clean pine cones, branches, or any other debris that may have gotten onto the top of the slideouts while camping to ensure debris does not get caught as the slideouts are closed. I'd rather not bring along a ladder to get up high enough to check. Has anyone come up with a clever tool to brush off the tops of the slideouts prior to closing or have a method that works well?

Maxzd
02-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Looking for suggestions on the best way to clean pine cones, branches, or any other debris that may have gotten onto the top of the slideouts while camping to ensure debris does not get caught as the slideouts are closed. I'd rather not bring along a ladder to get up high enough to check. Has anyone come up with a clever tool to brush off the tops of the slideouts prior to closing or have a method that works well?

My last trailer before I bought a 5th wheel had a small couch slide without an awning. I was forever trying to come up with ways to clean it outside before sliding back in. I dealt with the same problems never found a solution.. New Unit, one of the first things I did was put a slide covers on. I know they're not exactly cheap, but I think well worth the money.. No more pulling in the slide after or during rain and having to towel dry the top once inside.. My recommendation is to consider installing one or having one installed. Long run you'll be very happy you did..

cdevill
02-04-2011, 09:32 AM
I have a nice fold up ladder but as far as cleaning I've used my leaf blower and worked super. even good for getting the water off of it if there is any sitting up there then I dried it off with a beach towel before running it in. The ladder is one of those adjustable height that's a step ladder and also folds out to a 17' as well so I use it at home and in the rv.

Festus2
02-04-2011, 09:47 AM
I have to agree with Maxzd. If your pocketbook allows you to, go out and buy a slide cover(s). It not only helps prevent debris from getting caught up in your slide but also to reduce the chances of water/rain from finding its way inside.

IMO, a slide topper is one of those "gotta have" upgrades.

You should still make a visual check of the slide topper for small branches, etc that may have blown onto it.
Having a small or collapsible ladder is still a good thing to bring along if you have the room to store it. There is always something you can't quite reach!

campingcpl
02-04-2011, 11:45 AM
I usually just back the truck up next to the slide and stand on the bed and use a broom to brush off any leaves or branches.

ftwildernessguy
02-19-2011, 02:45 PM
I carry a small stepladder which fits in the front storage area of the Outback. I use a snow brush with an adjustable handle and a rubber squeegee on one side to clear the slideout roof. Takes about 2 minutes.

hankpage
02-19-2011, 04:05 PM
I usually just back the truck up next to the slide and stand on the bed and use a broom to brush off any leaves or branches.

I do the same with the truck but I use a cordless leaf-blower ... very quiet and works good to keep leaves off a patio if we have one at the site.
JM2¢, Hank

Snoopdog
02-19-2011, 07:25 PM
whats a snowbrush.....lol

Flyguy
02-20-2011, 07:09 AM

I think it's a tool or something for that white stuff or maybe it's for dandruff.

hankpage
02-20-2011, 07:19 AM

Cruel ...... very cruel! :rolleyes: .... :D

http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/674/2447333030047821328S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2447333030047821328SzaWDW)

chuck&gail
03-06-2011, 07:33 PM
We carry a stepladder that folds up to about 5" x 5" x 6 feet. That way I can see up there. To clean stuff off I bought a brush made to wash RV's with that has an extendable handle, works perfect.

DTJ9610
03-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Never thought about the snow brushes. Now I can use them year round...

DEW
03-17-2011, 05:26 PM
I agree the slide topper is a great addition. I had it on my last TT and made sure the dealership threw it in when I made the offer on my 2011 Laredo I ordered a month ago.:D They are to install it before I pick it up.
Sounds like I need to go to Costco though and by a collapsable step ladder. Everyon here seems to find use for it...

Wing-in-it
03-19-2011, 02:46 AM
My last trailer before I bought a 5th wheel had a small couch slide without an awning. I was forever trying to come up with ways to clean it outside before sliding back in. I dealt with the same problems never found a solution.. New Unit, one of the first things I did was put a slide covers on. I know they're not exactly cheap, but I think well worth the money.. No more pulling in the slide after or during rain and having to towel dry the top once inside.. My recommendation is to consider installing one or having one installed. Long run you'll be very happy you did..

I would love to have a slide cover.....however after calling Keystone they said there is no support for a slide cover on my unit & would void my warranty if installed. Just an FYI for all! Check before you make the purchase!

Mark

Retired_Jim
03-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Mark, this info seems strange and unbelievable coming from Keystone. Are you sure they were talking about the awning covers and not something like using "slide out supports" or "slide out locks"? I for one and many "thousands" of others are using slide out awnings with great success.

Wing-in-it
04-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Mark, this info seems strange and unbelievable coming from Keystone. Are you sure they were talking about the awning covers and not something like using "slide out supports" or "slide out locks"? I for one and many "thousands" of others are using slide out awnings with great success.

Yes Jim I'm sure...I called them myself....I also asked about a ladder for the back & they said the same thing...No ladder substrate either. The Keystone rep even noted that there was a place for the awning on the curb side but nothing to screw into on the street side for the slide cover. I thought it was odd myself:confused:.....maybe I got a dummy on the phone from Keystone????

So for now it's a ladder, a broom & beach towel to clean off the slide.

Mark

Springdale 298
04-04-2011, 05:13 PM
I've found that most campgrounds have a maintenance shed. I've asked on a couple of occassions to use a ladder owned by the campground to sweep of any debris. This was only in a wooded site of course when we had a little wind that left some debris on the slide. Just my 2 cents. Find that carrying a ladder just takes too much room.

woodsters
04-11-2011, 10:55 PM
We use a broom or a leaf blower. We have a ladder we keep in the outside storage...I've thought about the toppers, but never have the extra money laying around for that. Especially since stuff can get underneat them and you still need to get up there and check. Might as well take the broom with when I am checking and save the money...

Mighty Ming
02-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Is it wrong to climb up the factory mounted ladder to clean the slide? Thought most had mounted ladders. I realize the less one treads on the roof the better. I don't make it a habit to crawl around up there, but if I have to sweep the slide I do. Am I wrong to do this? Thanks and Good Times!

Festus2
02-21-2012, 07:44 AM
No, you are not wrong to do this as the roof is designed to take the weight. Some people place a cushioned piece of plywood underneath when working or walking on the roof so as to distribute the weight more evenly but this isn't absolutely necessary. I'd make sure that my shoes are clean and grip well and, of course, exercise care and common sense while up there.

Outbackmel
02-21-2012, 10:10 AM
A close friend of mine fell off his roof and was seriously injured in the fall. I go up on mine frequently for washing it and ensuring all is as it should be. With this said, TAKE HEED that you have on tight fitting shoes with soles which will not SKID on a "possible" moist rubber roof. Second, DO NOT TRY and take all your clean up supplies with you as you ascend to the roof. I have my DW hand up my "blower" OR I get high enough to place it out of the way on the roof and ensure it does not intefere with my ladder hand hold points.

On the bottom side, I generally use a solid step stool or small step ladder to assist me on reaching the ladder safely so I am not "stretching".

Most injuries happen simply because we are not concentrating 100% of the task at hand. These comments are only made to help ensure you do not run into a typical pitfall once up there. WATCH YOUR STEP. There are plenty of things to potentially trip over. (like your broom or blower ).

Be safe....have fun.:thumbsup:

golfpro
02-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Hank, is that your snow blower under the fifth wheel?? How do you get to it?

SteveC7010
02-21-2012, 01:00 PM
I have a 10' ladder that I carry on the trailer. I can usually reach the top of each slide with either a soft push broom or a squeege with the ladder so that I don't have to climb up on the roof every time we pack up. But, if there is any ground slope near the trailer, it doesn't reach the bedroom and bathroom slides.

So I am looking for a 14' ladder. That will also make it easier to reach the roof.

hankpage
02-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Hank, is that your snow blower under the fifth wheel?? How do you get to it?

:D This winter I have not needed it. Crazy winter ... 60°F here today. But in other years, I just send the DW out to get it for me. :rolleyes: .... Please don't tell her I said that or I will be sleeping in the Cougar tonight. Travel safely, Hank

hankaye
02-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Howdy All;

Due to the fact that Rascal dosen't have thumbs ...... :rolleyes:

I use a rope to haul my necessary supplies up top.
Sometimes, when I have to make several trips up-n-down
I get an extra workout. "bouncey:

hankaye

Jay Pat
02-21-2012, 04:19 PM
I carry a foldup latter so that I can get on the roof. I may need to get up there to inspect for damage/repair. I carry repair materials.
Use an extension handle with brush to sweep off slide.
Pat

wgb1
02-21-2012, 06:27 PM
The easiest solution for me was a small step ladder and a brush-head that screws onto an 12' extendable aluminum painting handle from Lowes. I also have a 12" squeegee that will screw onto the end of the handle to wipe off rainwater. Other than a slide topper, there isn't another good solution. As one poster stated, I have backed my truck up to the edge of the camper before I bought the ladder.

Halibutman214
03-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Okay so this post may be a bit old but I'm new to a TT. Common sense told me to check my slide for debris before I closed it but I have to ask, are you suppose to dry it as well? If you don't do you get water inside?

SteveC7010
03-24-2012, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=Halibutman214;32049]Okay so this post may be a bit old but I'm new to a TT. Common sense told me to check my slide for debris before I closed it but I have to ask, are you suppose to dry it as well? If you don't do you get water inside?[/QUOTE

I use a squeegee to remove most of the water on the top of the slides before retracting them. The seals on the slides help get some of it too, but I usually take an old towel and wipe from the inside of the trailer after the slides are in.

I may be overdoing it here, but I'd prefer to keep the inside of the trailer as dry as possible.

chuck&gail
03-24-2012, 07:29 PM
I always check. I bought a convex mirror on a short pole, made to be used to hook up TT's by yourself. I mounted it on a longer aluminum pole and store it in our TT rear compartment. When ready to bring in slide, I use mirror to look and see if it needs cleaning. Probably 4 out of 5 times all is clean.

But, when it needs cleaning "We carry a stepladder that folds up to about 5" x 5" x 6 feet. That way I can see up there. To clean stuff off I bought a brush made to wash RV's with that has an extendable handle, works perfect." Yup, me as well. Both also fit in rear compartment.