PDA

View Full Version : 25% off MSRP enough or....

Javi
10-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Should I hold out for 30%

Trade offer wasn't that good either but I expected that with the Passport.

chuckster57
10-05-2014, 10:51 AM
I always tell people if YOUR happy with the numbers go for it, if not tell them what your expecting and if they can't get close walk away. It's not like they are the only dealer.

Took me 3 years to get my current trailer, I walked out LOTS of times.

jsmith948
10-05-2014, 10:55 AM
Not sure. We bought ours during the Pomona RV Show without a trade-in for right at 33% under msrp. If we had a trade, we might not have done as well if the dealer was trying to get some of the trade in allowance back?

So Cal CPA
10-05-2014, 11:11 AM
I purchased our 2013 cougar in September 2013 for about 1/3 off msrp; last one on the lot, And I got what I asked for in trade.

I agree with what what was said before, if your happy than your happy with the numbers. In my case I was and it came down to good timing and maybe some luck too.

Javi
10-05-2014, 12:16 PM
While I can live with the numbers I am disappointed in the trade-in offer. It is about $2K light in my opinion. I've checked around and it was lowball at best, but not completely out of line either.

I knew I would lose money on the Passport from the get go, as I paid too much from the start. Long story; but I was so happy the DW finally decided to go camping I'd have paid anything they asked as long as she liked the trailer.

I really like this dealer and have never heard a bad thing about his dealings, I want to buy from him but I'm not going to give money away either.

He's checking our credit but I have not signed any agreements other than authorizing the credit check and have no earnest money down. So, I'm free to walk away at this point. And I have no intention of signing or giving any money until I'm happy with the deal, the interest rate and the term.

GaryWT
10-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Good luck. I find it funny that different dealers can have different msrp's for the same trailer. My dealer had it listed as about $36k when most other list it as 40k. Makes the deal look better or more money in the dealers pocket. My dealer always said they get a better price when they order a larger number of trailers. Anyway, hope your numbers work out for you.

Javi
10-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Good luck. I find it funny that different dealers can have different msrp's for the same trailer. My dealer had it listed as about $36k when most other list it as 40k. Makes the deal look better or more money in the dealers pocket. My dealer always said they get a better price when they order a larger number of trailers. Anyway, hope your numbers work out for you.

Gary, depending on stuff like a second a/c or pleather vs cloth I've seen pretty close to the same MSRP listed for the 2015 Cougar 333MKS at $55K give or take a grand for the extras.. this one is listed at $55,998. Now the asking price varies greatly even within a 200 mile radius of me.. from $56K down to $41K.. Like you said that just gives them room to play the negotiating game. I hate that game... and pretty much refuse to play.

I'm running numbers right now in a spread sheet and I think we're only about $1800 apart... if he'll meet that as trade in value I'll be a happy camper.. if not I guess we camp in the Passport another year.. We really hate the small bath but we've also lived with it for 2 years so I guess we can do another.

Or.. I may just sell the 2890RL and wait it out.. ;)

Festus2
10-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Gary -
MSRP means exactly that --- 'Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price" and since dealers are free to set their own prices, it is not too surprising that you will find different prices for the same unit.

Ken / Claudia
10-05-2014, 07:09 PM
I got the keystone at the fall RV show and it was about 30% or 33% off MSRP. Javi sounds like your close to making a deal. Remind them that your a return customer and you use their name to friends about how good they treat you. That should be worth them helping close the deal. Maybe get a nice big discount at the parts dept. or something. Good Luck

wayfun
10-05-2014, 09:06 PM
Should I hold out for 30%

Trade offer wasn't that good either but I expected that with the Passport.

On a straight buy from RVwholesaler.com I received about a third off msrp. In a few minutes you can get a quote from them as a comparison. I tried to buy locally and trade my previous trailer in but they wanted the same cash with the trade in as what RVWholesaler straight out. I just sold my trailer myself and saved $8500.

Dennis

mguay
10-06-2014, 03:08 AM
While I can live with the numbers I am disappointed in the trade-in offer. It is about $2K light in my opinion. I've checked around and it was lowball at best, but not completely out of line either.

I knew I would lose money on the Passport from the get go, as I paid too much from the start.

Sounds to me like you answered your own question!

You think the trade offer is light and you felt from the get go that you over payed for the Passport.

I guess if you want to row the same boat the next time you want to trade up...go for it.

Javi
10-06-2014, 03:30 AM
Sounds to me like you answered your own question!

You think the trade offer is light and you felt from the get go that you over payed for the Passport.

I guess if you want to row the same boat the next time you want to trade up...go for it.

:D No I KNEW I over paid on the Passport, well not really on the trailer itself... well okay maybe a little :o

What I did that is costing me on trading in the Passport was to buy the hitch and a few add-ons and add it to the sale. In my defense, I was just so glad that after 39 years of marriage and me going camping alone the wife was agreeing to go along. I truly thought I'd be selling the trailer in less than 6 months anyway... Then she actually liked camping.. who would have guessed.. certainly no one that knew her... previously her idea of camping was to stay in a Holiday Inn... She was not a traveler in the least.

In looking back I think I'd have paid double for that trailer cause its the only one that she smiled and said I like this trailer, lets buy it.. And the 50+ nights we've spent in it are pretty much priceless. ;)

This time around I have the hitch, and all the necessary gear so there isn't anything added. I'm just buying the trailer, not the whole store. ;)

As for trading up again... At our age we're not going there.... this is our last truck, trailer and home... The DW retired last month, I retire in 5 years (got to pay off all the toys) and we're done.

Park in the shade and fish...

Desert185
10-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Sometimes patience pays and sometimes procrastination doesn't. The enjoyment of instant gratification is often worth the money, though. Whatever your decision, enjoy pre-retirement and actual retirement when it comes.

Ken / Claudia
10-06-2014, 01:45 PM
I checked curtis trailers in Portland, OR. They list that trailer at 58,431 currently on special at 43,999 thats a 2015. Just to compare with what you listed at your nearby dealer.

Festus2
10-06-2014, 03:04 PM
I knew I would lose money on the Passport from the get go, as I paid too much from the start. Long story; but I was so happy the DW finally decided to go camping I'd have paid anything they asked as long as she liked the trailer.

Now that your DW has the camping bug and is enjoying the RVing lifestyle, I am wondering if you are still prepared to "pay anything" just so long as your wife likes the new one? Maybe all this discussion about 1/3 off the MSRP is a moot point and you could, as you said you did, end up paying too much again.

Who said, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."?

My money's on your wife, Javi. Or should I say YOUR money...... :D

Javi
10-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Now that your DW has the camping bug and is enjoying the RVing lifestyle, I am wondering if you are still prepared to "pay anything" just so long as your wife likes the new one? Maybe all this discussion about 1/3 off the MSRP is a moot point and you could, as you said you did, end up paying too much again.

Who said, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."?

My money's on your wife, Javi. Or should I say YOUR money...... :D

Well, she said either we get the bigger bath or we quit camping and sell the Passport.. She hates the bath in the Passport

mguay
10-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Found this...http://www.rvtrader.com/New-and-Used-Keystone-Cougar-Fifth-Wheel-For-Sale-On-RV-Trader/search-results?condition=N&make=Keystone|2273942&model=Cougar|764842624&schemecode=AD&sort=price:asc&type=Fifth+Wheel|198070&&year=2014%3A*&modelkeyword=1&&keyword=333mks&newsort=1

Sounds like your numbers are in the right $$$. You could save a couple of grand and drive...but you will have to cover expenses on the trip.

Javi
10-07-2014, 05:29 AM
Found this...http://www.rvtrader.com/New-and-Used-Keystone-Cougar-Fifth-Wheel-For-Sale-On-RV-Trader/search-results?condition=N&make=Keystone|2273942&model=Cougar|764842624&schemecode=AD&sort=price:asc&type=Fifth+Wheel|198070&&year=2014%3A*&modelkeyword=1&&keyword=333mks&newsort=1

Sounds like your numbers are in the right $$$. You could save a couple of grand and drive...but you will have to cover expenses on the trip.

I bought it this morning $41K with 2nd air and matching slide toppers..

chuckster57
10-07-2014, 05:50 AM
Congrats!!

Desert185
10-07-2014, 05:51 AM
Life is good! Congrats.

JRTJH
10-07-2014, 06:56 AM
Congratulations, Javi !!!

Life is good, you have a new RV, the DW has a bigger bathroom and both of you can continue to go camping together.... Ain't things grand !!!

When do you pick it up?

Javi
10-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Congratulations, Javi !!!

Life is good, you have a new RV, the DW has a bigger bathroom and both of you can continue to go camping together.... Ain't things grand !!!

When do you pick it up?

17th October

mguay
10-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Congrats!

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

GmaPaTime
10-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Contradulation.... Lifes to short, enjoy it :)

Kristi
10-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Congrats Javi! You are gonna love the bigger bath, that was must when we upgraded from our 2650 passport to our 313 Cougar. Also love having the center island for food prep. You got the 333 right?

byrdr1
10-09-2014, 12:13 PM
I bought it this morning $41K with 2nd air and matching slide toppers..
was going to tell you to at least check these prices. Its on the east coast but good place to deal with. BUt you have put he deal in already.
http://www.rv007.com/2015-keystone-cougar-333mks-new-fifth-wheel-va-i1352513
randy

Javi
10-09-2014, 12:23 PM
Congrats Javi! You are gonna love the bigger bath, that was must when we upgraded from our 2650 passport to our 313 Cougar. Also love having the center island for food prep. You got the 333 right?

Yep.. sure did

Thanks

was going to tell you to at least check these prices. Its on the east coast but good place to deal with. BUt you have put he deal in already.
http://www.rv007.com/2015-keystone-cougar-333mks-new-fifth-wheel-va-i1352513
randy

Thanks Randy...

JeffS
10-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the 333MKS community.
My wife refers to ours as the Taj Mahaul.

BTW: I will be interested in hearing what you windup doing with the "porthole".

Javi
10-17-2014, 02:49 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the 333MKS community.
My wife refers to ours as the Taj Mahaul.

BTW: I will be interested in hearing what you windup doing with the "porthole".

Thanks, just got back to the sticks & bricks from picking it up.. everything went smoothly and so far we're happy campers. It towed every well with the Ford, 6th gear except on long hills with the cruise control set at 62mph.