PDA

View Full Version : Cougar in Campground - The 4-legged type

Festus2
09-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Over the past few days, my wife and I have been camping at Logan Lake, a small town located in south central British Columbia. It's not uncommon for bear, bobcat, deer as well as the occasional cougar to wander near the outskirts of town.

The municipal campsite where we were staying is right on Logan Lake, a popular fishing spot with the locals and fly fishermen. Other than Logan Lake and its residents, there isn't much anything around - except typical high country pine forest and open range.

A couple of days ago, two couples and their "large" dogs were out for an early evening walk around the lake and had just gone into the bush within a very short distance of the campers and campsite. Out of nowhere, a cougar pounced on one of dogs and had it by the throat; whereupon the dog's owner plus the other dog got into it.

Nearby campers rushed to see what all the commotion was about only to witness a guy putting the boots to the cougar - kicking it several times in the head causing the furry feline to release its grip on the dog and high tail it into the bush.
Seems like there was no harm done to the dog.

Of course the RCMP were called in but only asked a few questions and "took notes". The next morning, 3 trucks loaded with Provincial Conservation Officers and hounds appeared. After about 30 minutes of non-stop barking, the men and barking dogs disappeared into the forest. They were out tracking for most of the day but never did find the cougar. My wife and I were planning a walk around the lake but decided not to.

So it seems like the RCMP never did "get their man (or beast)" and neither did the guys from Conservation department. But hats off to the young man who gave the cougar a shot to the head with his foot. I guess it's not wise to mess with the locals in Logan Lake. Just ask the cougar.

(This incident is in addition to having a limping coyote walk through an empty but neighbouring campsite, seeing an osprey scoop up a fish from the lake, and an eagle trying to do the same thing to a duck. Lots of excitement but little in the way of fish.)

kellydog98
09-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Wow :eek: Festus2, I guess this guy is the real Davy Crokett. I would do the same for my dogs as well.

gearhead
09-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Two years ago I was working an oilfield project on a 100,000 acre ranch in south Texas. Not much between us and Mexico but brush. I was driving back roads on the ranch about dusk. Forty feet in front of me a cougar steps out and walks across the road. I was in a car and it gave me the heebie-jeebies. I can't imagine a eyeball to eyeball encounter.

crash
09-09-2014, 02:29 AM
Thats why I always pack some heat (I always carry either a 32 or a 380 everywhere I go, you never now when you may need it)I dont know what I would do if our dogs where attacked and I couldnt do anything to help them.Its better to get in trouble for shooting and animal than watching something kill our 4 legged kids,Just my 2 cents .

GMcKenzie
09-09-2014, 05:22 AM
Geez. Right in Logan Lake. I could see it at Tunkwa or Leighton, but that is awfully close to the town. Cougar must have been pretty hungry to come that close to people.

gearhead
09-09-2014, 06:11 AM
I recently saw a news story about a cougar attack in California in a populated area. My opinion it's the result of banning hunting cougars. Not that I would want to exterminate them, but a bit of thinning might be a good thing.
I'm packing 90% of the time anyway.

Ken / Claudia
09-10-2014, 08:26 PM
I have had my share of dealings with cougar at work and hunting. I got to tell this story, see if you get my point, the guy thought I was rude. I get called out 2-3 am to Mt Hood SR 26 area regarding a cougar hit by a car. I find the guy waiting to show and tell what happened. We where 1/2 mile away from the scene. He says he hit the cougar as it was crossing the highway. I ask how big is this cat, he says 5-6 ft long over 100 lbs. I ask if it is dead or not. He says he does not know. It was laying in the roadway after he hit it and he grabbed it's tail, pulling it off into the shoulder so it would not get hit again. I say, well I guess it is dead. He asks how do I know that. My reply was, I am standing here talking to you. We go to the cat, I show him the front paws and push out a claw and show him the dew claw and tell him thats how I knew it was dead. I said these would have grabbed on to you if it was alive and I might have found you both in the ditch. The front paws paws where around 4 inchs wide and had big claws. The dew claws where about as long as my thumbs. I checked it's wt. sex etc the next day. It was 5 plus ft head to rear, tail another few feet long. and as I remember it weighted around 100 lbs. female without kittens, aged it but, only remember it was an adult. The age comes back by a tooth sample sometimes weeks later.

Desert185
09-11-2014, 02:59 AM
Whether hiking in the woods with four legged cougar or bear hor d'oeuvres or while in the mall, it is prudent to carry protection. We had a coyote staring at my wife just 15' away on the otherside of our 4' wood fence while she was taking the dog for his morning constitutional the other morning. By the time I got the alert he was gone. With no fear of humans, he's a bad one to have around for the pup.

Ken / Claudia
09-16-2014, 08:50 PM
When they are seen around here and reported, police get dispatched to hunt them and there are paid Fed's that come out to track and kill with dogs. The guy who worked with me had a jack rusell. The dog tracked and the guy would shoot it. Relocating a problem cat just puts others at risk.