PDA

View Full Version : jam nuts

wazeaz
08-14-2014, 06:38 AM
2007 keystone outback 28rsds

I just got this TT this year. I'm going for my fourth trip. I check the lug nuts every trip. Seams like one wheel is always a little un torqued. I marked the wheel so I can see if its the same one every time. (I can't remember)

just wondering if anyone uses a jam nut on their lugs to keep them from coming loose? thanks

Desert185
08-14-2014, 06:44 AM
No jam nuts. None of my lug nuts on any of my vehicles would allow for a jam nut. Torque with a torque wrench to the proper spec, and they should be OK. Trailer lug nuts have a tendency to loosen and should be checked prior to a pull, but cars/pickups tend to stay torqued...at least in my experience.

CWtheMan
08-14-2014, 07:03 AM
The nuts holding the rims to the hubs are designed to be torqued to specific values.

Here is a 2014 Keystone generic owner's manual. Wheel torque values and maintenance start on page #23.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/894590/krv_owner_s_manual_-_2015_-_3-19_-_1545.pdf

Trailer rims have countersunk holes for the nuts to fit into for torqueing. IMO lock nuts/jam nuts would eventually allow the bolt studs to wobble.

Sometimes when torqueing is lost more and more often the bolts/nuts are losing their ability to stay torqued. New sets will most often solve that problem.

CW

gearhead
08-15-2014, 02:47 PM
Be sure the studs are clean and dry. No oil, grease, Never-Seize, etc. Published torque values are usually stated for dry threads. Usually.