PDA

View Full Version : Canada Hwy 17 Sault Ste Marie to Ottawa

Tavilin2
07-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Planning a trip from WI to Montreal, Canada. Looking for a road report on Hwy 17 in Canada to see if we should be going that way. Would appreciate any input - Thanks

pjhansman
07-07-2014, 01:44 PM
just drove from North Bay ON to Marquette MI yesterday along that very highway :)

what would you like to know?

poncho62
07-07-2014, 04:30 PM
17 is a good highway, 2 lane paved all the way.....Some hills in that area, very senic.

Tavilin2
07-11-2014, 08:22 PM
Hi Pjhansman-
Wanted to know if the road was in good condition. We were told some of the Canadian highways were pretty rough on equipment. Also, if you have any campground's you would recommend? Thanks!

Tavilin2
07-11-2014, 08:23 PM
Thanks poncho62 - that helps us!

pjhansman
07-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Hi Pjhansman-
Wanted to know if the road was in good condition. We were told some of the Canadian highways were pretty rough on equipment. Also, if you have any campground's you would recommend? Thanks!

The highway is in quite good shape, (pretty much all 2 lane), with surprisingly little construction for a Canuck highway in the summer. It's quite flat from Sault Ste Marie thru to the other side of North Bay, where there are some impressive hills for a bit. Essentially flat from Ottawa to Montreal.

Fuel is always an issue, depending on the size of your rig. There's a shortage of decent service centers. I'd recommend filling up at the Husky you'll pass by in the Sault. The next good one is in a little town called Verner, 200 or so miles east.

The only camping I did was at Chutes Provincial Park. Very nice park, unless you have a really big rig....in which case there's a few challenging corners to be cautious of.

Any detailed questions, just send me a PM.

Phil

dcroot1
08-11-2014, 03:50 PM
There is construction between Renfrew and Arnprior and delays can be long if there is blasting. River Rd through Beachburg to Breaside to Arnprior is a good alternative