PDA

View Full Version : From Hope to Oliver (Festus???)

GMcKenzie
07-02-2014, 04:43 PM
August Holidays have us in Harrison for a week and Oliver for a week. How is the Hope-Princeton for pulling a trailer? Or would you take the Coq? The Coq is 50km longer (per Google Maps), but last time I took the Hope-Princeton I remember hating it (wasn't towing). How is it for towing?

Gonna hit the wineries around Oliver :)

cjm
07-02-2014, 05:54 PM
I've towed over it many times and have no issue with the Coq... better if it isn't a screaming hot day on showshed hill (others breaking down). Just take it easy on the couple of killer hills. The rest is OK

GMcKenzie
07-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Not worried about the Coq. More worried about the Hope Princeton.

cjm
07-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Guess I was sleeping (or should be), It's fine as well, in fact I'd say easier than the Coq. A few sharp corners, but if your not rushing it is fine.

Festus2
07-02-2014, 07:10 PM
If the Hope-Princeton route saves you 50km, I'd go that way. I've done both over the past few years and if you're not in any particular rush, the HP is not a bad drive. More twisty for sure - can't go as fast but it is an easier and more scenic haul IMO.

The Coq has that one, long brutal climb or descent around the Snowshed but other than that I think it doesn't have as many shorter, climbs as the Hope Princeton. Not sure how long it has been since you have been over the H/P but the highway itself has been upgraded. Not as many stretches of 4 lanes like the Coq so passing or holding up vehicles can be an issue.

Of the two, I guess my preference is the HP - but that also depends on where I am headed into the Interior. If Oliver - the HP.

Send me a PM when you are in the Harrison area and maybe we can hook up.

Steve S
07-02-2014, 07:40 PM
They just upped the speed limit on the Coq to 120 km so the trip should be the same:p

GMcKenzie
07-02-2014, 07:44 PM
They just upped the speed limit on the Coq to 120 km so the trip should be the same:p

Yeah. I saw that. Not sure I'm going to be doing 120 though. Truck seems to like 110. 90 ish up the snowshed (pulling).

Still thinking about it. I'll head down the Coq no issue. I've come home that way lots of times with no issues. Not sure I like the twisty single lane sections where people can't pass me on the HP. But I haven't driven it in about 15 years.

MadMax
07-03-2014, 09:12 AM
I've driven the Hope/Princeton a few times (and once with snow traces still happening) and found it a little winding but in good shape. The scenery is great too. There aren't a lot of passing lanes but I found several places to pull over easily to allow any traffic by.
I have never driven the Coq. and probably never will; I've heard about those long climbs and don't wish to try them out.

GMcKenzie
07-03-2014, 08:27 PM
I have never driven the Coq. and probably never will; I've heard about those long climbs and don't wish to try them out.

The Coq is no problem. Yeah the snowshed hill is long and steep but take it easy and watch your EGT's and it's fine. If you do heat up, don't make the mistake of pulling over when you hit the top, it's nice and flat there so just keep going to get some air moving through the rad and it will cool off quick enough. At least you don't hold up traffic on the Coq.

concours
07-06-2014, 08:44 AM
don't forget that the road between Peachland and Penticton has had a Major upgrade so the trip is much easier now I would be inclined to do the 97C also lots of places to pull over

doit999
07-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Hope Princeton through Manning park is the way to go. Connector from Merritt to Kelowna is a heck of a climb as well and then back track back to Penticton anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GMcKenzie
08-25-2014, 09:37 AM
Did the Hope-Princeton. A lot better than I remember it being and had no real issues. Also about 2 mpg better than the trip from Kelowna to Harrison.

Festus2
08-25-2014, 11:13 AM
Glad you had a safe, enjoyable trip over the Hope-Princeton. It's not a bad highway and an easier tow than the "Coke".