PDA

View Full Version : Safe to extend slide outs after storage

cnbhand
12-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Our 5th wheel Cougar has been in storage the last several months. We are now taking it out of storage for our winter trip. The camper has been and is in temperatures in subzero temps. We want to extend the slides for easier packing. Is this a problem?

hankpage
12-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Not sub-0 but I just pulled my slide in at 26°F before the snow hits us here in New Jersey. The seals are a little stiff but no problems. Your better off with the slide out then walking on the edges of the floor of the slide while in the raised position. Be sure you coach battery is fully charged before moving the slide .... low voltage can damage the motor.
I'm jealous .... Have a safe trip and happy holidays, Hank

cnbhand
12-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks Hankpage for your input. I would appreciate any other comments on this subject.

Festus2
12-26-2010, 12:53 PM
I would echo Hankpage's comments especially his remark and caution about ensuring that your battery is fully charged up. You might want to hook your RV up to your TV and leave the engine running while you are letting the slide out.
If you are able, you might want to squirt some dry lubricant on your slide mechanism (not sure what type you have) and peel back - by hand - the seals surrounding the slide. You might also want to put something like Aerospace3 on them to "soften" the seals and make them a bit more flexible.

cnbhand
12-26-2010, 02:18 PM
The batteries are charged. I have 4, 6 volt golf cart batteries which are kept charged by a 85 watt solar panel. The big slide is hydraulic and the other electric. There doesn't seem to be much of the seal exposed until the slide is partially opened or extended. I have heat in the camper now hopefully this will help some. May get a little sun the next day or two so may warm things some. I am leaving Wednesday 12-29. Thanks for your help.

mikell
12-27-2010, 06:49 AM
Might want to warm it up being your going to work in it anyway. Were going to work ours this week being it's going to 45 here. They haven't been worked in 2 months