PDA

View Full Version : Battery life when dry camping

lescarp2
12-20-2010, 06:56 PM
We just moved up from a popup to a 2011 Larado 303TG. I had 2 batteries for the popup trailer which was nice when dry camping. We could easily go 2-3 nights in cool weather with the furnace running frequently through the night and not run the batteries down (we were conservative in using the lights). The 303TG has only 1 battery and I am concerned that with all the additional interior lights, a larger furnace, and all the other 12V electrical items (stabilizers, slide-outs, tongue jack) a single battery might not get us through a weekend of dry camping. I am wondering if I should spend the money to get the battery box frame reconfigured to hold 2 batteries. The dealer tells me it will cost around $300 plus the battery. I was a little suprised that the new camper didn't come with an option for addiing a 2nd battery. We don't do a lot of dry camping but I would like to occasionally camp in some nice places here in Colorado that don't have hookups. I do have a small generator and could recharge each day but I am still wondering if a second battery would be worthwhile. Appreciate any and all opinions on this topic.

Festus2
12-20-2010, 07:55 PM
I think most RVer's would agree that having two batteries is the way to go. Some use and are happy with 2-12 volt batteries but my preference is 2-6v "golf cart" batteries. I use Trojans and have had good service from them. Proper maintenance on a regular basis prolongs their life. They are heavier and more expensive but worth it and that is what I would recommend.

Bowline
12-20-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm assuming that you have 1 12-volt group 24 lead acid battery that has a capacity of about 90 amp hours. Only 45 of those are useable, as it is a bad idea to go below 50% charge. Each of your incandescent bulbs uses about 1.5 amps per hour. If you are running 3 fixtures with 2 bulbs in each, that's 9 amps per hour. In only 5 hours, your battery would be effectively depleted. Add in your furnace, which draws 6 amps per hour when it's running, and your single battery looks even more inadequate. I say go for the second battery. It's surprising your unit did not come set up for a second battery.

I replaced 4 of my incandescents with LEDs. All of them running at once use less than 1 amp per hour. When I boondock, I use only these. That way, my 2 group 24 batteries will go for nearly a week without a charge, including using the furnace. (Don't waste your money buying cheap LEDs. The newer and more expensive ones put out plenty of light.)

ktmracer
12-24-2010, 04:43 PM
I changed the interior lights on my Outback 295RE to LED. I have two Trojan T-125's. I can easily go 3-4 days on the batteries if I don't run the furnace. We are careful, but not anal about using the lights. If we run the furnace, I get between 1 and 2 days depending on outside temps. Furnace on my draws about 8 amps. Has to be real cold (<15f at night, 40F during the day) before the batteries only last 1 day with the furnace. One issue with batteries and furnace operation, is that battery capacity goes down as temp goes down. at 0F battery capacity is about 50% of what it is at 75F. Not good when it's real cold and you run the furnace.

lescarp2
12-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm thinking we will bite the bullet and get the trailer configured to hold another battery box.