PDA

View Full Version : Replace OEM tires?

Sandy Swede
05-30-2014, 03:31 AM
Good morning tire mavens and gurus.

We took delivery of our 2013 Premier 30REPR a few months ago and have had only three short camping trips so far totaling approx 1,000 miles. Of course, the TT came equipped with 'China bombs' (Trailer King) 225/75 15 range D. Given that we will be leaving in a few weeks for a 5,000+ mile trip out west, would I be saving potential grief and damage to the TT by switching out the Trailer Kings for a set of Maxxis? If I do that, can I install the 10 ply which is a load range E, I believe? I recall reading on the tire forum that it would depend on whether or not my existing wheels are rated for the higher pressure (80 psi vs 65 psi). If so, how do I determine said wheel rating?

Thanks for whatever wisdom and experience you may share.

Bob Landry
05-30-2014, 03:59 AM
Keystone uses rims manufactured by Tredit. I did the tire replacement on mine upgrading to 10 ply Maxxix. I called Tredit and asked and was told the rims are good for 80 PSI.,

therink
05-30-2014, 04:38 AM
On my previous 2010 Keystone, I had the Tredit aluminum rims and upgraded to Maxxis E rated at 80psi and had no problems . You should make sure they are balanced and have them install metal valve stems. You will be glad you made the switch.
Signed,
The Tire Maven

jsmith948
05-30-2014, 05:44 AM
Also upgraded to Maxxis E rated. Our alloy Tredit wheels are stamped on the back side of a spoke with the weight rating of the wheel. Changed our tires at about 3000 mi when the DW found cracks in the sidewalls.

Festus2
05-30-2014, 06:10 AM
x4 Last year, we switched our same-sized OE Missions for Maxxis but ours had far more miles and were a few years older. The data about the rim was stamped on the outside as well as the inside. Rated for 80 psi so we went with 80 psi 10 ply Maxxis.

MIKEPATC
05-30-2014, 07:35 AM
What everybody else said. 10 Ply Maxxis all the way.

Sandy Swede
05-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Thanks much to all who responded.

I just placed the order for four Maxxis 8008 10 ply. Total with shipping to my installer from Simple Tire.com was $503. I crawled under the trailer to spy the name of the rim mnfr stamped on the back side of the spoke - Sendel. Went to a website with their stock and the specs for that rim stated 80 psi which I was told was the max cold pressure for these tires. I intend to run them at 80 unless someone out there has a more informed opinion. Again, thanks for the input. I have now spent so much on upgrades to the TV and TT that I will need to "wash dishes" in order to pay my way at the RV parks. :-)

fla-gypsy
05-30-2014, 10:30 PM
X whatever on the 10 ply Maxxis. I won't use any other brand of ST tire currently. Oddly my wheels do not have a psi rating I could find but they do have a max load rating. My tire capacity is greater than the wheels themselves but both far exceed actual weight on the axles.