PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle Tires

Clark
05-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Hi folks, Looking to replace my powerking Towmax tires, I have kept really good care of them and they have performed very well indeed, My question to you all is Carlisle versus maxxis, thanks all input appreciated.

bsmith0404
05-16-2014, 04:37 PM
I've never had the Maxxis, I have heard a lot of good things about them. The Carlisle's had a bad rep for many years, but the new Radial Trail RH seems to be much better. I had them on my last trailer, took several 2000 mile round trips and never had a problem. They are in the running for my trailer when I replace the tires. I really like the F load range tires, very few manufacturers offer an F range, Maxxis does not, and the G range tires exceed my rim tire pressure specs.

Clark
05-16-2014, 05:21 PM
I agree the radial trail sure seems to be a good tire, I have also heard a lot of good about the maxxis,

therink
05-17-2014, 03:44 AM
I have had both Towmax and Maxxis. Based on a side by side comparison, the Maxxis are a far superior tire. The rubber looks better and is a heavier (by weight lifting each by hand). My Maxxis served me well until I sold the trailer.
My buddy bought a set of the new style Carlisle a couple of years ago and the say "made in USA" on the sidewall. He hasn't had any issues with them.
Personally, I would stay away from Towmax as a replacement brand.

Bushman512000
05-17-2014, 05:16 AM
I have 15"rims so am limited to make of 10ply tires out there Price was not a after thought but safety was and still is with Me...I worked in the rubber trade for 33+years I know a little so reading about the pro and cons and what the makers say I bought the Carlisle brand they have so far served Me well been to N.S.Canada and to the Gulf Coast of Mississippi..I do not drive faster than 65mph most times but do run for many hours I run My air at max psi..had the tires balanced and have steal valve stems. I check with a eye and feel for heat at every stop so far so good. If I had the room under the trailer for 16"rims they would have been on there but I do not have the clearance so next best...Just for You all to ponder Bushman ? ask away..:D

pjhansman
05-18-2014, 05:37 AM
Hi folks, Looking to replace my powerking Towmax tires, I have kept really good care of them and they have performed very well indeed, My question to you all is Carlisle versus maxxis, thanks all input appreciated.

Couldn't get Maxxis so I'm replacing my Towmax tires (13k miles with no issues) with a set of 16" Carlisle Radial Trail RH next weekend.

I've got a 4,000 mile trip planned immediately. I'll post what I hope is a positive review when I return :)

theeyres
05-18-2014, 08:38 PM
I hope you all are right. I replaced my tires recently and was ready to get Maxxis at Discount Tires in Showlow, AZ. The salesman absolutely swore by the new Carlisle Radial Trail RH. I argued awhile and gave in and got the Carlisle Radial Trail RH after swearing I would never buy a Carlisle. So time will tell...two month trip coming in July & Aug and then four months next summer to Alaska.

Bushman512000
05-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Hi I was as You are about having a bad out look with Carlisle Tires I did a lot of checking found all is good with them as far as I am thinking . Do remember heat is not good for tires and You say Your in the heat area speed is also not good so remember to respect the 2 and You should be fine...Good Luck Bushman :D