PDA

View Full Version : Their back!

fla-gypsy
05-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Those of you headed south into Florida be aware the Love Bugs are back and seem to be a little earlier this year.

Festus2
05-06-2014, 07:11 PM
I'm sorry but you'll have to enlighten me about "Love Bugs" since they are certainly not found in our neck of the woods. Is that the same bug that bit me long, long time ago? But since I've never been to Florida, I wonder what kind of a bug it might have been? :eek:
(Everyone is welcome to chime in except hankpage).

JRTJH
05-06-2014, 07:22 PM
No Festus2, This is NOT the lovebug that bit you so many years ago. In fact, these "lovebugs" don't bite at all, but they sure do make a mess !!!

Love bugs are called that because you'll never find one alone. They are always connected together in "twos" and are about 1/2" long, black and create a "gooey, gelatinous mass on anything they happen to get hit by. It's impossible to travel anywhere in the southeast during "lovebug season" without including a trip to the carwash.

Last year on our September bash in south Louisiana there were so many lovebugs flying around the highways that the front of the Cougar and the front of my truck were black. As "disgusting" as it is to have the "gelatin" on the truck/trailer, after sitting overnight and "cooking" when the sun comes out the next day, not only do they look nauseating on the truck, they "ripen" and smell that way too....

If not removed as soon as possible, their "chemical process" can destroy the paint, so not only do they "look and smell bad" they also "do bad" if you ignore the mess they make.

hankaye
05-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Festus2, Howdy;

https://www.google.com/search?q=lovebugs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

Imagine rubbing dirty Vaseline on your windshield (windscreen), ..... while
your driving, give it some red and yellow splotches ... Lovebugs :eek:

hankaye

Festus2
05-06-2014, 07:46 PM
JRTJH & hankaye -

After reading your descriptions of the Love Bug and the mess it creates, I somehow think that it must have been some other kind of Love Bug that bit me.

I think these critters are classified as non-importable insects so they wouldn't be allowed to cross the border into Canada. You can keep them, thank you.

fla-gypsy
05-06-2014, 07:50 PM
No Festus2, This is NOT the lovebug that bit you so many years ago. In fact, these "lovebugs" don't bite at all, but they sure do make a mess !!!

Love bugs are called that because you'll never find one alone. They are always connected together in "twos" and are about 1/2" long, black and create a "gooey, gelatinous mass on anything they happen to get hit by. It's impossible to travel anywhere in the southeast during "lovebug season" without including a trip to the carwash.

Last year on our September bash in south Louisiana there were so many lovebugs flying around the highways that the front of the Cougar and the front of my truck were black. As "disgusting" as it is to have the "gelatin" on the truck/trailer, after sitting overnight and "cooking" when the sun comes out the next day, not only do they look nauseating on the truck, they "ripen" and smell that way too....

If not removed as soon as possible, their "chemical process" can destroy the paint, so not only do they "look and smell bad" they also "do bad" if you ignore the mess they make.

I see you have become acquainted with our curse. No fear though it is only twice a year for about a month. I ran into a bunch a few years back near Yee-Haw Junction and I had to stop the truck and clear them from the window. They were so thick the wipers couldn't plow through them. They are a nasty lot

HappyCamperMN
05-07-2014, 05:33 AM
There are some reasons why us Minnesotans put up with cold winters... Lack of unwelcome critters (cockroaches) and other pests ("love bugs") would be two. There are some things that a good hard freeze in winter is really good for.

JRTJH
05-07-2014, 06:29 AM
There are some reasons why us Minnesotans put up with cold winters... Lack of unwelcome critters (cockroaches) and other pests ("love bugs") would be two. There are some things that a good hard freeze in winter is really good for.

When I decided to finally retire (after the third time) my DW made only one stipulation. "We are moving north".. I can't repeat her exact words on a family oriented forum, but essentially what she said was: After 28 years in Louisiana (my birth state) putting up with 100F summers, snakes everywhere, mosquitoes, snakes everywhere, love bugs, snakes everywhere, alligators chasing us off the lake, snakes everywhere, hurricanes, snakes everywhere, watching the grass grow 2" overnight after every rain, snakes everywhere, I'm going home to Michigan. You can come with me if you want...... So... I moved to Michigan. LOL Now, it's just frozen pole barn doors, frozen lawns and frozen drinks

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/cook/blender-explosion-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

HappyCamperMN
05-07-2014, 07:00 AM
LOL...

Something about your reply (snakes everywhere) leads me to believe (snakes everywhere) that there might be a few snakes in Louisiana...

Either that or the forum software has developed a (snakes everywhere) reptilian themed bug in its code...

SAABDOCTOR
05-07-2014, 07:23 AM
well I never really complaigned about the winters in the north. Now i know why!! you can keep the snakes and love bugs.

Hercules1978
05-07-2014, 09:00 AM
I love living in Michigan and getting to experience all 4 seasons... in the same week.

Or, more accurately, both seasons. Winter and construction

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Javi
05-07-2014, 09:54 AM
We've had them in south and southeast Texas as long as I can remember. Nasty things, glad they only hatch twice a year.

hankpage
05-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Javi, Please refrain from posting orgy pictures on this forum. :D

We returned home from Florida 4/26 - 4/27 and I thought I brought home most of those little devils on the front of the Cougar and truck. They do make a mess but I understand they are a good source of protein. ;) Hank

fla-gypsy
05-07-2014, 12:35 PM
When I decided to finally retire (after the third time) my DW made only one stipulation. "We are moving north".. I can't repeat her exact words on a family oriented forum, but essentially what she said was: After 28 years in Louisiana (my birth state) putting up with 100F summers, snakes everywhere, mosquitoes, snakes everywhere, love bugs, snakes everywhere, alligators chasing us off the lake, snakes everywhere, hurricanes, snakes everywhere, watching the grass grow 2" overnight after every rain, snakes everywhere, I'm going home to Michigan. You can come with me if you want...... So... I moved to Michigan. LOL Now, it's just frozen pole barn doors, frozen lawns and frozen drinks

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/cook/blender-explosion-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

But us natives love outdoor life down here. Just part of the experience being able to distinguish between a banded water snake and a water moccasin along with spotting gators at a distance

antiqfreq
05-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Okay FLA-Gypsy,

we know, you know, that I know, what they are (got that)........

We are starting to get them here in middle Georgia too now.

Warms up 2-3 lousy days and BANG, they are here !

Those little ugly flying monsters that wreak havoc on my grill and bumper !

Jo

JRTJH
05-07-2014, 02:09 PM
You're so right, Jo. Lovebugs will literally "etch the chrome" off a plastic "chrome coated" grill. They'll do the same to the paint on the front of a fifth wheel, or to the "molded fiberglass front cap"....

As for snakes everywhere, we never just dove into the pool the whole time we were living in Louisiana. We'd always turn on the pool lights, check carefully for anything floating that may not belong there, and NEVER EVER stick your hand in the pool filter return !!!!!

We have found everything from "friendly snakes" to "territorial moccasins" to small alligators (about 6' long) in the pool. It seems like frogs like to "croak" around the pool at dusk, they lay eggs when it's that time of year (which slimes up the filter return), and the snakes follow the frogs. I suppose the alligator just wanted to find a nice place to cool down a little, all the concrete was warm that evening......

But what "cinched the deal" for DW was the evening we were watching TV in the family room and this "big brown tube" started slithering out from behind the TV stand and under the sofa she was sitting on. Turned out to be a 4' moccasin that apparently didn't like the Brady Bunch (or whatever she was watching) LOL

So, we now live where there aren't any snakes and the only bugs that get on the windshield are an occasional grass hopper that lost his way......

geo
05-07-2014, 02:35 PM
John -

You didn't mention Beaudreaux paddling through the backyard in his pirou gigging frogs, shooting raccoons, and spearing those snakes for the gumbo pot!

While in Lafayette, I seem to remember Jordan Richard's advice - Put a good coat of Turtle Wax on your car hood and grill, and finish with a coat of olive oil! Makes those squashed Love Bugs just slide off! Ho! A whole new use for the versatile oil! And Coca-Cola to take them off the windshield.

Ron

JRTJH
05-08-2014, 06:04 AM
Ron,

The closest bayou was about 1/4 mile away but I never saw "Boudreaux" or "Beaudreaux" in his pirou out there. That's the bayou we were "chased off of" by an alligator back when. It was a late February day, we were crappie fishing in a small 12' bateau (flat bottom johnboat) and this "dark shadow" on a cypress log started moving, slid into the water and headed for us. About 12' long, it was as big as the boat and with my DW perched on top of the outboard screaming like a coot chasing waterbugs, we weren't real far from turning over. It was not "fun" trying to get her down off the outboard so I could get us out of that alligator's territory, but finally managed. She never even walked back there again, much less get in a boat on that bayou. But man oh man, the crappie fishing was soooooo good on that bayou.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/water/fisherman-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

As for the new use for olive oil.... Hmmmmmm..... I wonder if it would soften the plastic chrome? I completely forgot about using Coke to dissolve the crusty creatures from the windshield. You're right, it does work well, but don't forget to rinse off the rest of the liquid. It will attract the fire ants into the garage if you leave any dried Coke on the car. That's another story and again, I can't repeat the DW's "analogy" of why fire ants exist...... http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/no/giving-thumbs-down-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

gearhead
05-11-2014, 06:42 PM
So, there I was about 6pm, on the back porch grilling burgers. Shorts and flip flops. Think I'll wander out in the freshly mowed grass and check on the new orange tree.
Whooooaaa buddy....2 steps off the porch and almost in a moccasin. Wasn't much..maybe 20". The always handy snake shovel got him.
The swamp behind the house is about to dry up from lack of rain, the critters are looking for water.
And yes, the love bugs are here. I have used Pam cooking spray on the car grills with mixed results.
Meguiers Instant Detailer seems to get em off pretty good.