PDA

View Full Version : questions about the TST 507 TPMS?

jaeger63
04-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Is there much weight difference between the flow thru sensors v/s the non flow thru. Do you normally have to rebalance your tires after installing the sensors. Thanks much for any info.

bobbecky
04-12-2014, 09:37 PM
I personally don't think the sensors will affect the balance enough to worry about it. I have the flow through ones, and they are not that heavy. Also, the sensors are located closer to the center of the wheel than the tire is, and because of this, they will have less effect on the balance of the wheel than if the same amount of weight were to be, say, at the tread of the tire. No difference if you happened to have a rock stuck in the tread of a tire.

jaeger63
04-13-2014, 07:42 AM
Do you feel it's a quality TPMS and would you recommend it?

bsmith0404
04-13-2014, 11:08 AM
The sensors are less than an ounce each, but when you balance a tire many times they take less than an ounce. In fact, that's how I judge a quality tire and wheel combo, cheaper ones will take more weight. Personal opinion, I would balance them, especially if you add the metal stem and the sensor.

SAABDOCTOR
04-14-2014, 08:36 AM
I HAVE BOTH SENSORS. The flow tru are on the dual rear wheels and yes you have addeded weight so you should rebalance. Also i would put the flow through sensors on metal valve stems the other style has caused no issues. i do not use the anti theift cap on the regular sensor when i park the camper i remove the sensors. do i like the system? yes it has save my bacon twice;)

W.E.BGood
04-17-2014, 05:50 AM
I have the standard/non-flow thru sensors. They MUST be put on metal stems or, like mine, "brass reinforced high pressure stems" to avoid chewing-up your rim (do a search for TST507 for my experience posts). And yes, they SHOULD be rebalanced...talk to a reputable tire technician/expert about how much off-balance weight they allow before adding counter weights.

Oh, and the system itself...love it, it's saved me a couple times now.

SAABDOCTOR
04-17-2014, 06:14 AM
MY SET IS 3 1/2 YEARS OLD Nothing in that manual say metal stems. the front stems on my truck are still good. when i change tires i will go metal. the new maual for tst suggest metal stems. so if your are going to remove the wheel and balance the tire swaping out stems is quick and easy. Also any time you add weight you need to rebalance the senors are weight however small it may be. i just thought of this my rubber stems are the very short ones. i do not like the long "curb clipper" type

Wally15
04-21-2014, 04:20 AM
I have the TST510 system. Non-flow thru. About the same as the 507 sensors except the batteries are supposed to last 5 years. And you have to send them in for exchange when the battery dies. I bought 10 sensors so I could have one on both the TT and TV spares. I have only had to remove one of them (LF TV) to tweak the air pressure to match the reading with the RF tire. The sensors weigh .8 oz each. Not enough added weight to bother with a formal rebalance. I did purchase some stick-on 1/4 oz weights and put 3 of them opposite the valve stem and sensor inside the rim of each tire. About $10 and a 10 minute "poor mans/lazy mans fix".
And I did not upgrade to metal stems. I do plan to upgrade the stems when I buy and install new tires on both the TV and TT. But I plan on putting only around 2-3K miles per year on my TT. You high annual mileage guys may opt for the full package upgrade to metal stems and rebalance.
Oh, I wouldn't let them talk me into buying the Repeater antenna ($54 or so) like they did me. I mounted the supplied antenna in my rear window and have excellent reception all the way to the TT spare 45' away. I need to send it back for a refund.
Overall, I really like the system, takes about 5 minutes to get readings on all 10 tires. It has a nice feature that you can turn off the TT tire readings if you're not towing. Only change I'd make is have the system screen turn off when the ignition is turned off. You have to manually turn off the display each time. So I just keep it unplugged and turned off for around town driving. If you leave it plugged in, it will automatically start each time the vehicle ignition is turned on.