PDA

View Full Version : Air Bags?

Chef Will
04-05-2014, 04:22 PM
I have a 2007 F250 and I need air bags due to my truck bed sinking. Any suggestions?:)

Javi
04-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Firestone Riderite or Airlift, I use the Firestone on my F250

DiverB
04-05-2014, 10:26 PM
I cant say enough good about airbags. They level the truck out and really provide a Cadillac like ride. I had the firestone bags on my 2007 2500 and they worked well for several years, no issues.

I now have Pac-Brake air bags on my 2012 3500 dully, and I can say the Pac-Brake air bags are stouter and made a little heavier duty than the previous firestone bags I had on the 2500 truck.

Either way you go, you'll be glad you went with air bags. Just a word of warning, start out using only little air, maybe 15-20lbs and then tow, and add from there. I once added 50lbs of air right off the bat and going down the road the trailer started to waggle. I found when towing my Gearbox travel trailer toy hauler, 34-36lbs of air was perfect.

Randy_K
04-06-2014, 04:22 AM
I use Air Lift on my F150. For me I find I just need 15 PSI when I have the two motorcycles in the truck and the trailer on. The dealer set things up this way and I find the trailer pulls better with the extra 600 lbs in the truck bed.

Randy

Cnc_hemi
04-06-2014, 06:32 PM
I have air lift ultimate bags. Love them. 2012 sierra 2500 hd. Also added an onboard air pump.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L

DieselMatt
04-06-2014, 08:06 PM
I have Air Lift bags on my 2006 F250 and they have worked great!

PARAPTOR
04-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Have to ask how much weight is added to the TV when these deviced are added and prepared for travel

Air bags,
Compressors
What ever

DiverB
04-06-2014, 11:28 PM
I don't have an onboard compressor (just something else to break) I use the compressor in my garage and my old Gearbox TH had a compressor on board. I plan on just carrying my small pancake compressor in the TH.

The airbags don't add any real weight to your truck, 40lbs at best.

Javi
04-07-2014, 02:12 AM
Airbags, brackets, line, and pump is less than 50 lbs. I also don't use a pump since I carry a pancake compressor and have an inverter on the pickup.

rhagfo
04-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Airbags, brackets, line, and pump is less than 50 lbs. I also don't use a pump since I carry a pancake compressor and have an inverter on the pickup.

You think that pancake compressor is lighter than an on-board compressor? Have a Pacbrake on-board, 150 psi and a gallon and a half on storage.

ctpd814
04-07-2014, 08:48 PM
Have to ask how much weight is added to the TV when these deviced are added and prepared for travel

Air bags,
Compressors
What ever

I just ordered an AirLift system with a compressor. The shipping weight is 44lbs.

For those looking to get bags, AirLift is offering a $50 rebate on the bags and an additional $50 rebate on the compressor kit. This offer is good thru the end of June.

Jim Dow
04-08-2014, 01:30 AM
I just purchased the Firestone air bags. I will probably install them this week.

Thanks for the experience lessons. I am listening to you guys.

Javi
04-08-2014, 02:52 AM
You think that pancake compressor is lighter than an on-board compressor? Have a Pacbrake on-board, 150 psi and a gallon and a half on storage.
No, certainly not but I use it for things that the little onboard airbag compressor can't dream of doing like blowing out the waterlines on my trailer, blowing debris off the slides and other jobs around the house.

I looked at the onboard compressors and storage tanks but I just don't need to play with my bags that much and I'm too old to be impressed by an air horn. Not to mention I already have the pancake compressor.

If I were that worried about the difference in weight between an onboard tank and compressor and my pancake I'd be looking at another truck anyway. :D

Cnc_hemi
04-08-2014, 10:04 AM
The compressor is light 5 lbs maybe. And the whole bag Assembly might be 15 lbs each.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310

Cnc_hemi
04-08-2014, 10:05 AM
What I like about the inboard is it will keep up with the psi automatically once you set it. And I had one before for 5 years and never had an issue.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310

DieselMatt
04-08-2014, 06:30 PM
No, certainly not but I use it for things that the little onboard airbag compressor can't dream of doing like blowing out the waterlines on my trailer, blowing debris off the slides and other jobs around the house.

I looked at the onboard compressors and storage tanks but I just don't need to play with my bags that much and I'm too old to be impressed by an air horn. Not to mention I already have the pancake compressor.

If I were that worried about the difference in weight between an onboard tank and compressor and my pancake I'd be looking at another truck anyway. :D

I debated about just doing a pancake vice an onboard system. I ended up going with a Viair Constant duty onboard air system. I like the onboard air because not only can I use it inflate the air bags, but I can use to inflate the trailer tires, inflate the truck tires, and due to the 150 psi capability I am able to blow out the trailers water lines as well. I simply mounted a quick disconnect in the bed and use it whenever I need it. No air horns here either. ;)

Shogunles
04-10-2014, 01:09 PM
I used both Air Lift and Firestone on previous tow vehicles. Both serve the same principal. And I have to say that I prefer the Firestones. Not just because they are a no drill application most often. They are a beefier bag IMHO. Some say the Stones make for a rougher ride. If you have a F250, you will not feel any difference. Plus, I have read reviews that the wireless manifolds on the Air Lifts are malfunctioning. They have introduced several different versions since. You may want to research that to see if they finally got it right. FYI, which ever you buy, buy from a certified dealer of the product. Especially the Firestones. Ore they will not honor the warranty. Firestone is funny like that. Good Luck.

Jim Dow
04-27-2014, 06:43 PM
I have purchased the Firestone air bags; but I have not installed them yet.

Where did you mount the compressor?

The instructions that came with my air bags said not to allow water to splash on the compressor. So I'm now trying to figure out where to mount the compressor.

Helpful ideas would be appreciated.

DieselMatt
04-28-2014, 07:48 AM
I have purchased the Firestone air bags; but I have not installed them yet.

Where did you mount the compressor?

The instructions that came with my air bags said not to allow water to splash on the compressor. So I'm now trying to figure out where to mount the compressor.

Helpful ideas would be appreciated.

If you have a truck box in the bed you could mount it there. I've seen people mount them in there and it worked well. To stay dry the other option would be under the hood or in the truck. I'm not sure of the size on that unit so its tough. My unit didn't need to stay 100% dry so I mounted it on the passenger side frame rail in front of the rear tire.