PDA

View Full Version : Airbags

tocools
11-16-2010, 07:38 AM
I am thinking of adding airbags to my truck and doing awsy with the WD bars it will be one less thing I have to deal with. I feel I can do this as I already have more then enough truck for our TT. What do you think?

Flyguy
11-16-2010, 07:48 AM
I don't think that air bags on your TV are a substitute for the weight distribution bars on your hitch. While the air bags will remove sag on the rear of the TV they do nothing for the equalizing of weight to all the tires of both the TV and the trailer, JMO. Airbags would serve a better purpose in a 5ver situation then a TT one.

tampacamper
11-16-2010, 12:21 PM
I am thinking of adding airbags to my truck and doing awsy with the WD bars it will be one less thing I have to deal with. I feel I can do this as I already have more then enough truck for our TT. What do you think?

Whats your hitch weight?

What are you using for sway control? That would be the only issuse I could see being a problem. It is a real truck!!!

tocools
11-17-2010, 07:32 AM
Thanks for your replies.

scubapop
01-20-2011, 03:58 AM
I recommend you do more research before removing the hitch weight distribution/sway bars and installing air bags. I would recommend you utilize both system to improve handling and the ride.

Air bags are designed to help keep the truck level in the forward to aft plane while carrying a load whether it is a 5th wheel or TT. In the case of a TT it’s the tongue weight of the unit that needs to be the focus. The bags will aid in eliminating sag between the TT and TV and possibly bottoming out of the hitch or TT/TV over bumps

The bars on your hitch on the other hand as designed to distribute the tongue weight forward on your TV and to control the dangerous sway and rocking the can occur when being passed by 18 wheelers or on slippery and/or curvy roads. Under no circumstances would I remove the bars from the hitch.

When used together the WD/sway bars the air bags will provide a considerable amount of increased stability and control as you travel down the road not to mention the improvement in the quality of the ride.

We have been using both systems for almost a year now and would recommend it for all TT users. Hope this helps and provides a little insight into your decision.

scubapop

Bulldog79
05-31-2012, 05:23 PM
I don't think that air bags on your TV are a substitute for the weight distribution bars on your hitch. While the air bags will remove sag on the rear of the TV they do nothing for the equalizing of weight to all the tires of both the TV and the trailer, JMO. Airbags would serve a better purpose in a 5ver situation then a TT one.

Tocools,

i agree with Flyguy. I had airbags installed (Firestone) on my rig thinking they would help and found out it didn't make that much difference as long as you're using the WD hitch. IMO, save your $$ unless you plan on heavy loads without the TT.

Cory

AlCorr
06-01-2012, 03:00 AM

I also agree. I have Firestone air bags, (traded in my 5'er). When the Dealer set up my weight distribution hitch for my TT, they asked how many psi I keep in the air bags and told me to keep it set at the same psi while towing, (with in 5lb either way). If I decide to change my towing psi in air bags, I'd have to readjust the weight distribution hitch.

SteveC7010
06-01-2012, 04:05 AM

Airbags and weight distribution are pretty much two entirely separate systems with two entirely different functions. Once can not take the place of the other.