PDA

View Full Version : Carrying extra propane tank

Outbackmel
11-15-2010, 06:59 AM
?? what is the best way to carry an extra full 20 lb propane tank in the bed of a p/u carrying a fifth wheel? I was thinking of just securing it in the corner of the bed behind the cab and wrapping the lower half of the tank in "bubble wrap" to prevent any banging around. I plan to use a "ratchet" strap to secure it....

danger? experiences....comments appreciated. :confused:

If it's dangerous, I'd rather just leave it behind.....

Tnx

JReinhart
11-15-2010, 07:38 AM
I put mine in a plastic milk crate and then bungee it in the corner of the box

Outbackmel
11-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Great idea.....I have a similar container on hand I can use.....comment is appreciated.

Festus2
11-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Outbackmel:
I use the same heavy plastic milk carton - the same as JReinhart - and secure it at whatever space is available in the PU box. I also place a piece of ScootGuard underneath the milk crate to provide a bit more "traction". As long is the propane tank is secure, vertical and valves turned off, I don't think that there is any danger.

Outbackmel
11-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Festus2,
Thank you for the added info. With that, I think I am good to go! I certainly have more confidence now, that with proper precaution, small chance for any issue.
Mel

mhs4771
01-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Mel, I have a chest type tool box in the bed and carry a spare tank there along with a portable Coleman stove, gas for the Gennys and a couple of other things. Can be locked so everything is secure.