PDA

View Full Version : Driving through Boston and Philadelphia

Quiroule
03-29-2014, 11:59 AM
We are planning a camping trip to Washington, DC, with a stop at Cape Cod.

We will go down I-93 through Boston. The last time I drove that route, I remember seeing a ban on carrying propane on the over bridge in town. Can I drive with the FW on that route?

Also, in Philadelphia, I see a bridge on I-95, can I drive over it.

Thanks

GaryWT
03-29-2014, 06:45 PM
I live just north or Boston and when I go to the cape I take 95 around to either route 3 or 24 to 495. I do not ant to tow through the tunnel on 93 in Boston. The tunnel is about a mile of so, with tight turns and I do not know the regs for towing with propane there. When we head through NY we head to Newburgh first to cross the river and then south to avoid the GW and Tap bridges. Not sure about PA. Have fun. Where on the cape are you staying.

Quiroule
03-30-2014, 03:51 AM
GaryWT,

I like your route around Boston. When you get to the end of I-495, do-you take the Scenic Hwy-6 or the Sandwich Rd 6A.

My daughter lives in Wellfleet, we will visit her.

Thanks for the infos. (tx)

Phil/Shirl805
03-30-2014, 03:37 PM
Quiroule

Guessing you will be coming through MD on 95, You can not go through either
tunnel in Md with propane. Would recommend you take 95 south to 695 to Key Bridge.

Would also recommend Cherry Hill Campground in College Park Md.
Very nice campground. They have a shuttle bus that pick you up right in the campground, and drops you at the DC metro station. Train takes you right into DC. Highly recommend you see all the War Memorials. (between bus and train ride maybe 30 minutes and you are in DC)

Also you can buy both bus and train tickets at camp store/office.

GaryWT
03-30-2014, 04:20 PM
If you take 24 to 495, it becomes 25 at Rt 195 but you stay on 25 to the Bourne Bridge. If you get off the road just before the bridge and travel along the canal you get to the Sagamore bridge to Rt 6. If you cross the Bourne Bridge and then go along the canal you get to the same place but the road is smaller, one lane each way rather than two. So I guess route 6 along the canal.

If you go past route 24 until you get to route 3, that will take you to the Sagamore Bridge and route 6.

RikChar
03-31-2014, 06:48 PM
Do a traffic alert ahead of time to make sure that they are not working on the Sagamore bridge cutting the lanes down to one lane each way...Great advise on how to get down to the Cape.

GaryWT
04-01-2014, 04:49 AM
Good point on the possible bridge construction and thanks.

canesfan
04-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Didn't see an answer to the 95 bridge in Phila. Not sure if you mean the one by the airport South of the city? If so you have no problems with propane or anything on that bridge.

And no, you can't go through the tunnels in Baltimore with propane.

Quiroule
04-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Thank-you all for the infos.

I will map my trip accordingly.

Have fun (tx)