PDA

View Full Version : Moving to San Diego

DieselMatt
03-20-2014, 08:21 AM
The family and I are moving to San Diego in a couple of months. We are looking to live out of the 5er for at least a month while we search for a house. Seeing as we have never been to San Diego, I was hoping to get some ideas of good RV parks to live in for that period of time. I will be working in Balboa Park at the Naval Hospital and would like to have a short trip to work for at least a little while. So far I've heard the KOA in Chula Vista is nice, but would love more ideas!

Thanks! (tx)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that we have 2 medium size dogs and a toddler in our crew. Doubt it matters, but ya never know these days with restrictions at parks.

antiqfreq
03-20-2014, 12:08 PM
We stayed at a campground in Mission Bay area for a few nights when visiting a few years ago. But it was a asphalt campground situation. Pleasant enough though. Don't know if they have a playground for the toddler though and you'd have to walk dogs 'somewhere'. But there IS a very nice park right next door to this campground, I do remember that!

Jo

hankaye
03-20-2014, 01:27 PM
DieselMatt, Howdy;

If you are active duty try contacting the Base Special Services Office.
They may have a Campground that they oversee in the area.

Even if you are not active they may be able to help you find something
that is suitable for your needs.

hankaye

Andymon
03-20-2014, 03:47 PM
I lived in San Diego many years ago and was also stationed at Balboa Naval Hospital as Neurology Tech. I loved it there but moved away as it got bigger and bigger. Check out this forum. I don't think I'd want to be anywhere near Chula Vista. I'd take the Mission Bay park and asphalt anytime.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-diego/

DieselMatt
03-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the replies!

hankaye - I did contact an rv park on one of the bases and they were completely booked. It might have had something to do with the fact the park is on the bay, but none the less no luck. I'm going to keep looking, but I would certainly prefer to be off base.

Andymon - thanks for the link! It looks like there is a lot of info there. As of right now we are looking to permanently live in the area that the RV park is in. Currently we are looking in the Temecula area for housing. I was thinking that it would be nice to be closer to work while we are "checking in" though.

Any other suggestions?

CHIEF MK
03-21-2014, 04:23 PM
We have stayed at the SD KOA when we visit our son who is stationed aboard the USS Pelilieu LHA-5. Its a nice park, and is in Chula Vista. Short trip to the Naval Hospital.

Are you active duty? If you are check this site out.http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/state-listing/Campgrounds/military-campground-listings/arizona_c15_m4/

DieselMatt
03-22-2014, 08:12 AM
We have stayed at the SD KOA when we visit our son who is stationed aboard the USS Pelilieu LHA-5. Its a nice park, and is in Chula Vista. Short trip to the Naval Hospital.

Are you active duty? If you are check this site out.http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/state-listing/Campgrounds/military-campground-listings/arizona_c15_m4/

Thanks for the KOA review! So far that is #1 on our list since the Fiddler's Cove RV park is booked.

Excellent link, thanks!! Looks like there are two military camp grounds in SD. Fiddler's Cove is booked, I believe due to location on the bay. I'm going to check out the Admiral Baker grounds for sure though.