PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Using Tire Pressure Monitors On TV or RV?

fred1609
03-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Anybody use those tire pressure sensors on their truck and rig tires

PARAPTOR
03-08-2014, 08:12 PM

Yes, I have the Tire Minder think it is the older model 400, they have redesigned the monitor and I think the transmitters. I currently monitor 12 tires on my TV and Raptor. Monitors tire Pressure and Temperature of each tire. Easy to setup and you can set your own customized alarm set points for temperature and pressure. Just screw transmitters onto the tire valve stems.

Saved me already one time by alerting me of pressure dropping in one of the trailer tires and gave me enough time to get off the interstate. Basically would not go on a trip without it. Already has paid for itself!!!

buzzcop63
03-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Bought Tire Minder from Camping World on line for $246.65 total, including shipping. Model TMG400C will cover up to 22 tires, 0-145PSI on 6/23/2012. Unit comes with four sender units that screw onto valve stems, receiving unit comes with stand to mount like GPS, is battery operated with a power cord that can be plugged into Tundra DC outlet. My reason for purchase was for security while running Power King Chinese tires. I ran last year and used it this winter to check tire pressure while trailer is in storage, no need to check by hand with gauge and let air out. I Set trailer tires with my digital gauge before a trip in the morning at 65.5Lb, example of one trip where wife and I left on a Sunday, during the summer, around 12:30pm fund that at a steady 55 MPH the tires would heat up to 80's in the sun and cooler on the side away from the sun, PSI rose up into the 70's, hot day! This is on a 120-mile trip on I5 down the valley from Portland to Eugene area. On way back home after 5 nights camping, we left Eugene area around 12:30pm with temperature at about 75 by the time we got home. Last readings stay on the Tire Minder, Tire Minder reads PSI/Temp, Driver side, Passenger side: Tire Minder reads 1 to 2Lb over digital gauge, shows tire it is reading and its location. PSI/Temp
68.8/82 68.2/89
69.2/84 69.4/86
The Tire Minder does not distract from driving as it does not cycle through the readings, had my wife push the buttons for the readings from time to time. It will let you know if your loosing any air and in which tire as well as over heating. Great thing about using the Tire Minder is knowing that all tires are being watched as well as being able to check pressure when unit is in storage or when your ready to leave park and not have to do by hand. Unscrew the 3 oz sending unit and the base unit goes nuts, red lights and sound so if you get a blowout you will know as well as any drop in pressure or dangers heat.

ftwildernessguy
03-09-2014, 02:29 AM
I use Tire Systems Technology monitoring system. Have not had any alarms in the 3 years of use, but it sure does give you piece of mind knowing it is scanning all the tires. Batteries on the sensors last about 2 years but are easily and inexpensively replaced.

EricLynnAllison
03-09-2014, 04:39 AM
My tire monitor saved me twice. Bes investment I ever made.

jsmith948
03-09-2014, 05:48 AM
Picked up a Tire Traker at the RV show in Quartzsite, AZ. Have only used it on the trip home, but, we like it so far. We have to manually scroll through the tire positions but the DW handles that task. I agree with the piece of mind.

Bombfixer
03-09-2014, 08:54 AM
I have the Tire System Technology (TST) system. I bought it because of the negative reviews of the Tire Minder system and the fact that uses a flow thru sensor. I can add or release air from my tires without removing the sensors. It also has a lower profile receiving unit than the Tire Minder system. The readings from the sensors are within 2lbs of both my handheld tire gauge and the air compressor built in gauge. The TST system does cycle thru all the different sensors, I have it mounted in a position where it does not distract my vision yet I can easily check it when needed. I have a factory TPMS on the tow vehicle, so I only use the TST for my 6 tires on the 5er.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk

PARAPTOR
03-09-2014, 10:01 AM

I did not go into detail about the Tire Minder that I have and like, since there are a few systems out there and as you would guess each has their own Pros and Cons. I highly recommend a tire monitoring system for the TV and Trailer. Like I said in a previous post saved me once with the Raptor and once on my VAN. If interested you should go to the website for each one and compare features as we would for other products. Accuracy was not that important to me as compared to the units ability to monitor differences in Pressure and Temp and the ability to set your own alarm trigger points. These units are constantly reading all the tires with sensors installed and providing different alarms based on set points and the difference between the latest tire reading and the previous reading for that same tire.

I thought my truck would have come with a TPMS as a matter of fact salesman said it was included. Well :confused: after playing around with it at the dealer with the salesman we could not find it. While he was scratching his ........, I searched the web and found that Chevy HD trucks over 10,000 GVWR do not have installed TPMS. I chose to monitor all tires including spares on the trailer and TV, nice to know the spare has air in it :eek:

Again my 2 cents, need to do your own research on the various types and match them to your needs.

MIKEPATC
03-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Love my TST 507 System with Flow-Thru Sensors.
http://tsttruck.com/
Would not leave home without them.

bsmith0404
03-09-2014, 12:22 PM
My new TST 507 is due to arrive on Tuesday. Didn't get the flow through sensors, according to the TST rep and the material I can find on them, they are a little heavier and they recommend steel valve stems. The standard sensors are supposed to be fine on a standard rubber stem. Didn't feel like going through the hassle of changing the stems right now. They are supposed to "self calibrate" when reinstalled on the stem so I figured it isn't really any different than removing the stem cap.

MIKEPATC
03-09-2014, 12:40 PM
My new TST 507 is due to arrive on Tuesday. Didn't get the flow through sensors, according to the TST rep and the material I can find on them, they are a little heavier and they recommend steel valve stems. The standard sensors are supposed to be fine on a standard rubber stem. Didn't feel like going through the hassle of changing the stems right now. They are supposed to "self calibrate" when reinstalled on the stem so I figured it isn't really any different than removing the stem cap.

Yes ... I went the metal valve stem route... but made the mistake of having my RV dealer add them during a routine service call. Crushed one seal and created a slow leak. TPMS found it though ... even though the trailer was parked in the yard, every time I drove by ... the TPMS went off. Saved me from a roadside situation. From now on I deal with a reputable tire dealer. :)

Outbackmel
03-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Recently has a tire blow on the Florida Turnpike, 70 miles south of Disney (our destination). Tore hell out of my underbody, fender skirt, etc. Now back in Georgia and was sweating bullets the final 425 miles. I could not find a replacement tire anywhere along our route.

Now waiting for collision estimate which I am positive will exceed our $1,000 deductible. On top of everything else, just bought a new Cedar Creek which is being built and will be picking it up mid to late April. By the way, the tire is NOT covered by insurance. (maintenance item) :rolleyes: Sure it is!:(
I checked them all the time but this damage is unreal!

Short side: we will never see that Outback leave the RV dealer collision center before a tire pressure monitoring system is on it and functional. Not even hooking up until on there, period!

At 62mph we did not even feel that tire explode. Now that's scary. A bus pulled along side, honking, and protected us until we could safely stop.

Sad part of the story. We were at the Tampa Super Show and I went out of the way to show my wife the demo on these tire monitors BUT was STUPID and did not buy at the moment. Kicking myself in the pants!! Live and learn:banghead:

W.E.BGood
03-09-2014, 07:03 PM

Brent...you'd better rethink that...see my post on this thread from last year http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11217.

p.s. It's a bit frustrating that TST told you that you didn't need them...I had a LONG and polite conversation with the company VP about what I found, sent him the pictures, told him he should recommend customers get metal or brass-reinforced high-pressure metal stems (which I subsequently had installed). He thanked me for the info. Obviously did no good.

Do as you wish. Regards, BGood

bsmith0404
03-10-2014, 03:31 AM
Interesting, thanks for the info!

ROLIN JOSEPH
03-10-2014, 07:03 AM
...very informative and tempting feature to invest in.
I have a couple of questions (about the stem mounted ones) please:
(1) How do you keep the sensors from getting stolen or tampered with?
(2) Do they affect wheel balancing at highway speeds?

Festus2
03-10-2014, 07:08 AM
Joe -

There is a small set screw (Allen wrench type) on the unit that you tighten to prevent the sensor from working itself loose. If someone really wants to steal a sensor the tightened set screw won't stop that but it will make it a bit more difficult for it to "go walking". It simply makes it a bit more difficult to steal.

If you are able, it is best to install the sensor first THEN get the tire balanced after it has been installed. If you do this, the tire should be balanced with the sensor already in place.

SAABDOCTOR
03-10-2014, 07:29 AM
YOU WILL LOVE THE TEST SYSTEM I HAVE BOTH FLOW THROUGH ON THE REARS OF THE DUALLY AND THE REGULAR SENSORS ON THE REST OF THE TIRES AS THEY ARE EASY TO REACH. THE REGULAR SENSORS ARE ON CONVENTIONAL STEMS. HAVE HAD THEM 3 YEARS NOW. SAVE US ONCE ON THE 5ER. WORTH EVERY PENNY! SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS FORGOT to turn it off. too dang lazy to re type. Thats because i am grumpy it's snowing again!:banghead:

azlee56
03-10-2014, 10:57 AM
I know they give me peace while riding shotgun. What was funny is we were unhooked and I had a duh moment and I said, why aren't the other tires showing up? Just the truck tires are. The hubby looked at the read out and then at me with disbelief on his face. He said Lee, we aren't pulling at the moment. (this was months ago after going to Texas). My answer was, well it doesn't have much of a range does it? (smirk)

SAABDOCTOR
03-10-2014, 12:03 PM
That's as funny as my DW asking if the ice cube trays would be ok in the sink during winter storage and freezing weather:eek: I bet your hubby and I had the same look on our faces! But that is one of the many reasons I love her"bouncey:

W.E.BGood
03-10-2014, 04:53 PM
...very informative and tempting feature to invest in.
I have a couple of questions (about the stem mounted ones) please:
(1) How do you keep the sensors from getting stolen or tampered with?
(2) Do they affect wheel balancing at highway speeds?

Joe,
#1. The TST non-flowthru sensors are constructed so that the "cap" just spins freely, the inner "base" with the threads that screw onto the stem requires a special small wrench or key (provided) that clasps the base and allows one to turn it. I do not know if the flow-thru's have the same design.

#2. They DO affect wheel balance...I had mine balanced after install of the high-pressure stems and with the sensors attached. Per the tire tech, the combined weight of them requires it by common standards.

ocbms
03-10-2014, 05:22 PM
I like the system and have used for two 900 mile pulls. To and from Texas. I set the tire pressures at 80 PSIG at about 12 degrees F ambient and headed south. At Texarkana the ambient air was 50 degrees F when I started the day but in a couple hours I was in Dallas with air temps of 30 Degrees.
The changing Tire Pressure was quite alarming.
For the trip south the left side ran hotter and more pressure than the right, also the rear axle showed higher the front axle. I reasons that the wind was blowing on the right side possibly putting more weight on the left plus sun was on the left.
For the trip north I adjusted the pressure down to 80PSIG at about 45 degrees ambient and saw the same results without wind or sun.
It will be a month or so but I will be weighting the left and right sides (RV was weighted before traveling south) but I have to assume the left side (which has 3 slides and more storage for heavier food) heavier.
The bottom line is I wouldn't have known the extremes seem without the continual scrolling of all 12 tires. I know I have to do something before the hot weather or I might repeat last summer with China Bombs

ROLIN JOSEPH
03-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Thanks, Festus2,W.E.BGood, and all others for info and opinions.
This should be easy. DW thinks these babies should be the law.
..Now, where the heck is my wallet?

SAABDOCTOR
03-11-2014, 10:37 AM
THE flow through mount to the stem with an allen wrench (included) the other type have a special wrench that tightens them to the stem and the outer cover just spins. and YES you will need to rebalance the wheels once installed

SAABDOCTOR
03-11-2014, 10:45 AM
on the subject of metal stems my truck has metal stems on the rear flow through type the other tires are on conventional stems. i have seen the photos by the op. i can assure you after two years i do not have the same issue. This spring I will upgrade to load range F tires and will go the metal stems.

PARAPTOR
03-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Joe -

There is a small set screw (Allen wrench type) on the unit that you tighten to prevent the sensor from working itself loose. If someone really wants to steal a sensor the tightened set screw won't stop that but it will make it a bit more difficult for it to "go walking". It simply makes it a bit more difficult to steal.

If you are able, it is best to install the sensor first THEN get the tire balanced after it has been installed. If you do this, the tire should be balanced with the sensor already in place.

There are locking rings supplied for these transmitters to deter theft and/or prevent them from working loose. Yes, there is a small set screw maybe a better description would be "tiny" used to secure the locking ring to the stem using the supplied "tiny" (real technical :( ) Allen wrench. Although provided not sure they are actually recommended by these manufactures. I would think it would not take much corrosion/rust and you would no longer have to worry about theft, but how to you get them off. I have decided not to use them and after 7K miles never had any of my twelve transmitters work loose and yes lucky nobody has walked off with them. Like choice of TV decision I have made given the risks :yawn:

Again my two cents on these locking rings. Highly recommend a TPMS for your TV and Trailer

T11ravis
03-11-2014, 05:05 PM
More pics here as well: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12449&page=2

Go for the metal stems. ;)

PARAPTOR
03-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Was just reading a thread "CHECK THOSE LUG NUTS" Where a member was stopped on the road and told they had lost a wheel and these people had picked it up. :confused: The TPMS would have alerted them of a lost wheel "LOST SIGNAL" So I guess we can say TPMS monitors/tracks tire pressure , temperature, and also the number of wheels on your TV and Trailer :eek: Good to have all of them (tx)

fred1609
03-13-2014, 07:29 PM
Great info....I get the message....I'm ordering the monitoring system for the tow vehicle and the 5er. And I guess I will add the metal stems well.

JRTJH
03-14-2014, 08:01 AM
Great info....I get the message....I'm ordering the monitoring system for the tow vehicle and the 5er. And I guess I will add the metal stems well.

Fred,
Or you could just chain all your wheels to the back bumper. That way is you lose one, it would just "drag along behind you" sort of like cans on a "just married car" only "industrial strength".............

Man, it's been a long LONG winter..... COME ON SPRING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

PARAPTOR
03-14-2014, 09:44 AM
JOHN, be careful Keystone designers may be viewing forum comments. Will have to try this RAPTOR has an outside toy lock cable system, think it is long enough to loop through all the RAPTOR WHEELS :-((

Think we need to get some SUN up to you :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

JRTJH
03-14-2014, 11:37 AM
Bill, if that "toylock" is rated heavy enough for all 6 tires, GO FOR IT !!!

As for getting sun up to me, We've got sun, it's just so cold that the UV rays get frozen out if it before they can "heat anything up" :cool:

The pole barn door is slowly "thawing" Today, most of the refrozen ice from the cold snap 2 days ago has melted so we're back to where we were on Tuesday..... COME ON SPRING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ToyTLH
03-15-2014, 06:59 PM
I purchased a 2012 Raptor 300MP last fall and have used it a lot. Of course it still had the stock Towmax tires on. I've always pulled some kind of trailer but nothing this big and long. It has just two 7000 lb axles, so just four tires. I would prefer 6 tires to spread the load per tire.

I purchased a Truck Systems Technology TPMS, the 507 system with 4 flow through sensors for $259 straight from them.

Easy to setup and works great. I was having problems picking up one sensor signal. It was the passenger side rear most tire and I think it's signal's line of sight was being more obstructed by the stove, fridge, water heater, ect.

So I also purchased their repeater for $59. Now all four sensor signals register fine.

Anyways, if it starts to beep, pull over. The first time was a puncture, but it was too big to plug so we changed it and replaced it with the spare Towmax. My new tire is a Maxxis M8008 ST Radial - Part # TL30141000 Size 235/80R16 10 ply.

My last weekend trip the alarm went off, pulled over, and a different Towmax was coming apart at the side wall and the air was diffusing out. The slow leak detection works!

Without this system, I would be afraid you would have a tire problem, never see it, hear it, sense it, and drive to long and then it shreds and does damage to the fender well area. Or, destroys the nice rim in the process. Plus, now the other tire is now carrying more load. One more reason I feel 6 tires are better than 4 except the cost of getting a whole new set of tires. Plus, the 3 axles look cooler - oh my!

The TPMS system is the best investment that I made. My 2012 Chevy Duramax has its own tire monitor system.

Hope this helps people who are on the fence on whether to spend the money.
:)

lawdes
03-26-2014, 01:10 PM
TPMS is a must! I bought the Tire Tracker last fall, and on first trip was flagged down by a car passing....had a flat tire! Pulled over and sure enough one tire was almost flat, but not blown. Put on spare and transferred the sensor, and later found had lost air in that one too. (Towmax). I concluded it was leaking thru the sensor. I replaced the sensor, and just finished a long trip with no leakage. Also installed and hard wired the booster inside the trailer. Wouldn't travel without them! Moral of the story...make sure they are on properly tightened, and not leaking!

PARAPTOR
03-26-2014, 03:01 PM
TPMS is a must! I bought the Tire Tracker last fall, and on first trip was flagged down by a car passing....had a flat tire! Pulled over and sure enough one tire was almost flat, but not blown. Put on spare and transferred the sensor, and later found had lost air in that one too. (Towmax). I concluded it was leaking thru the sensor. I replaced the sensor, and just finished a long trip with no leakage. Also installed and hard wired the booster inside the trailer. Wouldn't travel without them! Moral of the story...make sure they are on properly tightened, and not leaking!

Not sure if you have a typo in your write-up, those two incidents highlighted in red and you got no notice from your TMPS?? I decided to go with "TIRE MINDER", given those identified cases in red, mine would have been alarming and flashing like crazy way before another person in another vehicle would have noticed. Based on the leak rate my TMPS would have identified the reason category such as small leak, blow out, etc. Unless I am reading this incorrectly sounds like in those incidents the TMPS failed you. :banghead: I usually do I quick check, unscrew the sensor and in a couple of seconds monitor will start beeping, red indicator and condition symbol "BLOWOUT". The monitor seen a Hugh drop in pressure similar to a BLOW out and indicated as such. Slower drops in pressure over time would have alarmed as a different cause

As you mention and I stated in a previous post, my Tire Minder saved me a couple of times already. Would not go without it . My Tire Minder is monitoring 12 tires pressure and temperature.

Be Safe and Happy Camping

lawdes
06-10-2014, 12:47 PM
I think tire minder and tire tracker are basically the same thing, just marketed under different names. I finally concluded (maybe correctly or not) that the reason my monitor didn't go off was perhaps the signal was too week. Trailer is 37' bow to stern. Put in a booster, and haven't had any problems. Also put on new sensor and haven't had any problems. So, guess it was prob combination of bad sensor or weak signal. they work now, and I feel good having them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lawdes
06-10-2014, 12:51 PM
Not sure if you have a typo in your write-up, those two incidents highlighted in red and you got no notice from your TMPS?? I decided to go with "TIRE MINDER", given those identified cases in red, mine would have been alarming and flashing like crazy way before another person in another vehicle would have noticed. Based on the leak rate my TMPS would have identified the reason category such as small leak, blow out, etc. Unless I am reading this incorrectly sounds like in those incidents the TMPS failed you. :banghead: I usually do I quick check, unscrew the sensor and in a couple of seconds monitor will start beeping, red indicator and condition symbol "BLOWOUT". The monitor seen a Hugh drop in pressure similar to a BLOW out and indicated as such. Slower drops in pressure over time would have alarmed as a different cause

As you mention and I stated in a previous post, my Tire Minder saved me a couple of times already. Would not go without it . My Tire Minder is monitoring 12 tires pressure and temperature.

Be Safe and Happy Camping

Oh, just figured out I think what you were referring to about a typo. TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) I think is what I wanted to type....who knows, I'm likely to type about anything accidentally!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mjeronimo
07-13-2014, 08:35 PM
Maybe this is silly but has anyone tried to use stock( identical to the ones onTV and install on TT) and use monitoring system on TV to monitor trailer tires and tow vehicle at the same time? Or would that send system into a tizzy, too many tires -distance to far- or? Just a thought.

bsmith0404
07-14-2014, 03:15 AM
most TV systems are designed to monitor 4 tires. They are even programed to which corner of the TV they are on. When you rotate tires they have to be reprogrammed so they will identify them. Once you hit the 4th tire the system automatically cycles that the programming is complete. The cycle typically starts with the front drivers side tire and goes clockwise around the vehicle. In fact GM (not sure about Ford or Dodge) doesn't even put a system on duallys because there are too many wheels.

Pmedic4
07-14-2014, 06:46 AM
most TV systems are designed to monitor 4 tires. They are even programed to which corner of the TV they are on. When you rotate tires they have to be reprogrammed so they will identify them. Once you hit the 4th tire the system automatically cycles that the programming is complete. The cycle typically starts with the front drivers side tire and goes clockwise around the vehicle. In fact GM (not sure about Ford or Dodge) doesn't even put a system on duallys because there are too many wheels.

The TV monitoring systems are mandated on all vehicles less than 10,000 pounds, of all things by the "TREAD Act" (Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation - don't you love government acronyms!). Beside the 10,000 pound limit, it exempts vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating over 26,000 pounds, because they found the standard systems didn't work well with these heavy rated vehicles, which is why most Duallys don't have TPMS. Some interesting information about the TPMS rules and regulations, everyone should read.
Regarding your comment about rotating the tires, and reprogramming, for previous/current versions Dodge vehicles automatically sense the changed locations (after about 10 miles of driving) where the Ford and GM need to be reprogrammed manually. BTW, found that some places who rotate the tires charge for this reprogramming!!!! Simple to do, just look it up.

However, please check you vehicles owner manual - the forums information often last longer than information is accurate.

bsmith0404
07-14-2014, 06:15 PM
The GM ones are easy with the programmer and I've never been charged for the service, however if I ever had a place want to charge me I'd do it manually. Not sure on the Ford, but GM is done by going into the learn mode and letting 2 lbs of air out of the tire. The horn will sound once when the location is learned and then you move around the vehicle clockwise until all 4 are learned at which time the horn will sound twice. GM has been using this same method for as long as I can remember and on every vehicle I've owned with TPMS system.

Pmedic4
07-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Like a lot of people on the forum, I also got a TPMS for our 5ver, as my TV already has one. I purchased the Tire Traker, from Tiretraker.com. It was fairly easy to install, and configure, but best of all, the price is probably the lowest you'll find for a system. It cost $219.00 for a 4 tire system, with free shipping in the US. Additional sensors for other tires can be purchased for $35 each. The batteries in the valve stem caps are listed to last 1 to 2 years, and they are fairly common small batteries you can buy for less than $2 each, so that isn't a pricey replacement. Since it is based on Valve stem caps, so you can personally install this system by yourself, without a trip to the tire dealer. The monitor will display the pressure for up to 22 tires, so this system can grow as you change vehicles or you can even use the same monitor for a different RV, by programming different tire sets.

It seems to be very accurate, and measures both the tire pressure and the tire temperature. Wasn't sure this was going to be accurate, but it will even report the difference in temperature when you drive down the road, with higher temperatures on the sunny side of the RV.