PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressure question

HandL
02-16-2014, 12:46 PM
We just took delivery of our first new Bullet 217rbs. The dealer was 6 hrs away and the way the weather has been we decided to have it delivered.When the trailer was delivered I checked the pressure on the tires to double check and found between 33 to 35 pounds of pressure on the 4 tires. The max rating on the tire states 50 psi. What the question is...... the manufacturers sticker on the trailer says the tires should be inflated to 50 psi. Not really surprised that the dealer sent the trailer low but am wondering why Keystone would put a 50 psi max tire on a trailer that needs 50 psi as a routine? Should I pump up the tires to max? Seems like putting the psi to max all the time may be just as harmful as under inflating.

Bob Landry
02-16-2014, 12:50 PM
You'll get less heating and greater longevity out of the tires by running them at max pressure, both trailer and TV.

f6bits
02-16-2014, 01:51 PM
I keep mine between 49 and 50. Unless something is wrong with your trailer's alignment, your tires won't wear out in the 5 years they normally last. At about 5 years, sun and weather take their toll.
http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/infoTrailerTireFacts.dos

HandL
02-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the info folks. The link was very informative. I now have the knowledge to maintain my trailer tires properly. Glad I asked!

CWtheMan
02-16-2014, 08:25 PM
We just took delivery of our first new Bullet 217rbs. The dealer was 6 hrs away and the way the weather has been we decided to have it delivered.When the trailer was delivered I checked the pressure on the tires to double check and found between 33 to 35 pounds of pressure on the 4 tires. The max rating on the tire states 50 psi. What the question is...... the manufacturers sticker on the trailer says the tires should be inflated to 50 psi. Not really surprised that the dealer sent the trailer low but am wondering why Keystone would put a 50 psi max tire on a trailer that needs 50 psi as a routine? Should I pump up the tires to max? Seems like putting the psi to max all the time may be just as harmful as under inflating.

If your tires have been riding around on 33-35 psi since leaving the factory they have already been severely mistreated. Tires being operated 20% or more below the vehicle manufacturers recommended tire pressures are considered to be in a "run flat" condition. They should be removed and inspected by a certified tire technician.

What you have found is a very common practice in the RV trailer community. Doing nothing about it normally results in early tire tread separations/sudden early failures.

I’m sorry, but in my opinion your tires are no longer trustworthy and should be replaced before any camping trips at normal loaded conditions.

CW

jsmith948
02-17-2014, 09:32 AM
I would agree with CW and I would ask the dealer to replace the tires AT HIS EXPENSE.:)

RichR
02-17-2014, 10:18 AM
Somehow I think the dealer will want you to prove the TP was that low. How can you do that? I would at least put them on notice of your finding, and do it in writing.

HandL
02-17-2014, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the info everyone! I do appreciate it.

Dave-Gray
03-06-2014, 07:07 PM
This following statement comes from Fifth Wheel St. (http://fifthwheelst.com/step5.html)

Selecting the Correct Tire Pressure for Your Trailer

We at Fifth Wheel St. no longer recommend adjusting trailer tire inflation pressure below the maximum load PSI rating molded on the sidewall (and only if the wheel/rim is appropriately rated) regardless of the measured scaled weight of individual tire or axle positions for all multi-axle trailers.