PDA

View Full Version : Phones and internet

concours
02-01-2014, 07:18 AM
We have a couple of questions about phones and internet. We plan to travel from British Columbia in October to winter in Sothern California but as our Canadian cell phones will not work in the US we have been looking into US pre paid phones such as the TracPhone which will be fine for calls within the US but not sure if we can make calls from the US to Canada. Also what are the best Internet options as we are sure that the campgrounds will have very limited access

cjm
02-01-2014, 07:49 AM
Get you phones unlocked which will allow you to use a US sim card and plan. I use a $3 day plan for short trips, and $60mo for longer ones from T-mobile. It includes unlimited calls, text and data. Use VOIP for your canadian calls home:)

Festus2
02-01-2014, 08:19 AM
concours -
Tracfone allows calling from the U.S. to Canada but not the other way. The phone is useless while in Canada. There are other ways, such as the one described by cjm, that will allow you to use your own phone while in the U.S. This usually requires you to open an account with an American carrier.

Most private campgrounds offer WiFi but the reception varies from site to site within that campground. Often, WiFi reception is only available at the "clubhouse" or some other central location at the campground. In some cases, you may be charged while at other places it is free.

Steve S
02-01-2014, 08:48 AM
I'm with Rogers and it works where ever I travel to. I had no probs with it in Oregon or T.O, I guess it's part of my plan.

Festus2
02-01-2014, 09:25 AM
I'm with Rogers and it works where ever I travel to. I had no probs with it in Oregon or T.O, I guess it's part of my plan.

Steve -
Yes, Rogers, Telus, Bell, etc., will all work but you will end up paying astronomical roaming charges once you leave their coverage area. You can purchase, for example, a 30 day plan which allows "x" number of gb for out-of-area coverage or travel into the U.S.
If I were you, I'd check with Rogers to see exactly what kind of plan you have and if it covers calls, texts, etc., while travelling in the U.S., or if you need to buy something extra to avoid roaming charges. Don't assume that it "part of your plan".

Steve S
02-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Fetus2 I'm covered for calls, text and internet all in one plan. The only time I've had to add optional card/plan thing was when I went to England. While I was there I found that using disposable phones was way cheaper for local calls.
I pay a flat rate of $125.00 a month for unlimited calling, texting and internet for my phone and tablet.
It's a great deal as I never have to worry about going over or long distance calls.

Javi
02-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Take a look at Straight Talk from Walmart

Williston324
02-01-2014, 05:34 PM
We use Tracfone. Check their website. They have phones for $10 with triple mins for life. Works out to $7 a month if you don't go over your basic minutes purchase - 180 mins, good for 90 days. You can call Canada through an access number or program in 10 "800" numbers you can assign to specific Canada numbers. Canadian numbers can call you, of course, just like any other US number. We also use magic jack at home and on the road. See next paragraph.

For internet we use Millenicom (Verizon network) 20GB package for $70 a month. Initial setup and hotspot purchase was $150. We have never not had service traveling from Ontario south to the Keys with stops all along the way. We use the internet every day, whether it's banking, checking weather or routes, messaging or face time with family or going on this site!! Through it we also have the magic jack apps on our iphones/ipads.

For TV we have the basic pay as you go Dish plan which gives us plenty to watch.

Enjoy your travels!

fred1609
02-01-2014, 10:54 PM
We also use millenicom as DW has to work while we are out for our month of holidays. As for cell phones we buy the US package from telus although I think I will take the time to find a less expensive cell phone service.

Williston324
02-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Quick follow up to Tracfone. You can't text to a Canadian cell number but you can text to email. You can receive texts from Canadian cells ok.

concours
02-02-2014, 08:47 AM
Our current phones are Virgin that have no SIM cards and only designed to work in Canada so we plan to buy a new phone in the US but don't know which carrier to go with. We also have OnStar which has great coverage but the phone is not practical.

JRTJH
02-02-2014, 10:11 AM
I have AT&T, many places we go (outside major cities) I have spotty or no coverage. My DW has Verizon and she has coverage most everywhere east of the Mississippi River and better coverage than me out west as far as Kansas/central Texas. We haven't been east of Wichita in a couple of years, so can't say what's further west than Wichita.

Jables
02-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Do yourself a favour and check out roam mobility. Get your phone unlocked and swap the SIM card out and enjoy unlimited calling all over North America. Talk, text & data for about 4$ a day. I've got a SIM card ready for my next trip south.

Charli
04-12-2014, 01:30 PM
So how do you get your phone "unlocked". Is this something your Cdn provider does or is there a way of doing it yourself. DW and I have IPhones with Rogers plan which provides shared 2G of Data p/m and unlimited calling, longdistance, texts in Canada. Rogers has US add on to plan but too expensive for long stays.