PDA

View Full Version : Buy from Local Dealer or RV Outlet/Wholesale type

jimmyriley
10-17-2010, 01:54 PM
After visiting I think most of the dealerships in Virginia, DW and I have decided on the Passport 250BH. Floorplan is exactly what we liked and within towing capacity. Now the big debate is weather to buy from the local dealer (considerably more expensive, easier to deal with for warranty issues, and 25 only miles away) or an RV outlet center (175 miles away) that is considerably cheaper????????????????????????????
At the local dealer I did feel more of a friendly sales person and down to earth and genuine. The RV Outlet Sales Person, although friendly, seemed there for just a sale.

Your thoughts are appreciated

Festus2
10-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Jim:
There is currently a thread "Lowest Price Dealers" on the forum in the 5th Wheel section which has numerous posts from members recommending various dealerships both local and in various states. You might want to check this thread out.

If you are leaning towards your local dealer, why not get them to match the price of the RV Outlet Center? Tell him, "When you match the price of ........ I will buy it from you." If they won't, walk away - and wait for him to call you.

Flyguy
10-17-2010, 04:20 PM
If your handy and want to learn all the systems on your TT and feel that maintaining them isn't a problem then I would go with the best price if that price represents a savings of $5000 or more, that's what I did and saved about $10,000 in the process and only had to take the TT back once to change out the screen door which was cut too short at the top by about an inch. If your not comfortable with this and feel that you must rely on the dealer then bite the bullet with the local guy. The dealer I bought from was 550 miles away.