PDA

View Full Version : Tire help

Got 88
12-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Hello everyone,

I realize this tire stuff is ongoing, but wanted some opinions.

I recently purchased a 2014 Raptor 297. It's advertised dry weight is 11k and has two 7k axles. It came with Towmax 235/80/16E tires rated at 3520lbs. I tow it full of water, fuel, gear, clothes, food, beer, and a Polaris RZR in the back. I haven't had it on the scales, so I can't say what the loaded weight is.

I've had it on two trips so far and no tires issues to speak of. Pressure at 80psi and kept it at 65mph. Granted it's winter time, so I'm assuming the heat build up in the tires is not as much as in the summer. I do live in the Phx area and my fear is having a blowout once it gets to be summer. I'd also like to be able to go 75mph on the interstate.

Anyway, most of what I've read about the Towmax tires is not good. I'd really like to change them, but not exactly sure what direction to go.

A LT tire in a 235/85/16E has a weight rating of 3042lbs...so I'd be way under.

I've hear some good reviews on the Goodyear G614 and the Sailun S637. It looks like these are rated for 75mph and are both over the weight rating I need. However, it states they need a 6.5" wheel width. The wheels on my Raptor are rated for the higher psi, but are only 6" wide.

I also read good reviews about Maxxis, but the speed rating is 65mph and weight rating is 3420lbs...which would be a little under.

I don't have a problem spending a few bucks for piece of mind, but trying to be practical at the same time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim W
12-31-2013, 09:22 AM
Go read the TIRE Blow out thread and do a search for more information on tires in this forum. I would also look at 17.5 inch tires instead of the 16 inch in your case more LT tires to choose from.

Jim W.

Bluewater
12-31-2013, 09:27 AM
Maybe you need to rethink the 75mph you wish to tow your rig. Sounds crazy to be towing that much weight at that speed. We have all had some close calls while on the interstates and that speed leaves you NO room to avoid an accident.

bobbecky
12-31-2013, 07:12 PM
Our trailer came with ST235/80 16E tires mounted to wheels rated 110psi/3750lbs. The trailer had as an option the G614's, and they would have been mounted on the same wheels. I remember reading that the 1/2 inch difference in wheel width does not make the wheel unsuitable for use with the G range tires, it is just that the tire manufacturer suggests the use pf a 6.5" wide wheel. I believe the information came from Tredit, but not positive of that. We have G614's mounted on our original wheels, and they look good, and definitely give peace of mind when towing. I am good with 65 mph, even with tires rated 75 mph. Don't need the stress of speed after just getting rid of stress of bad tires just waiting to blow. If you do go with G range tires, don't forget you need all metal stems rated for at least 110 psi.

CWtheMan
01-01-2014, 03:53 PM
This is just an information post.

Rim sizes are often pondered by RV trailer owners. I think it’s because the rim manufacturers are not required to put load capacities or pressure ratings on them (some do - some don‘t). It’s just not a DOT requirement. But, positive manufacturer identification is a mandatory requirement because that's where you have to seek out the rim's specs. The rim specifications are actually derived and implemented by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE).

The DOT regulations direct tire manufacturers to determine what rims to use on all of their different tire sizes. It further directs them to produce a list of such rim sizes and make it available to all of their retailers. The retailers must make it available to their customers.

The DOT also requires vehicle manufacturers to display rim sizes used on RV trailers to be displayed on the trailer’s certification label. (example: 15x5.5 meaning 15“ in diameter and 5.5“ wide)

Vehicle manufacturers can modify the tire manufacturers list and use a rim outside of the specs the tire manufacturer has provided. That provision is seldom used. But, when used, the rim size would still have to be on the trailer’s certification label.

My Interpretation follows along industry standards. The tire manufacturer has set the rim standard for each tire they build and market. Retailers cannot take it upon themselves to adjust standards made by the builder of their products. Vehicle manufacturers have the ultimate responsibility for safety and any actions they take outside of the parameters set by the product builder would be their responsibility. So, it’s kind of like speeding. Penalties only apply when the rules maker catches you doing something outside of the approved envelope.

CW

Got 88
01-08-2014, 05:21 AM
Couple of updates, I'm not sure why I stated the tires were Towmax...they are actually Trailer Kings. A friend had the same tires on his new Fuzion and all 4 failed within a year. He went with Carlise's, but I'm leary of that.

I also agree going 75mph is not the best idea...I'll stick to 65 or less. However, having a tire rated to handle 75 I'm assuming would be a plus for heat factors.

Anyway, I don't have a lot of tire options because of the weight rating I need, so I'm leaning toward the Goodyear G614's.

tileman
01-08-2014, 06:11 AM
After my two blow outs I went with the Maxxis tires.

I took my trailer to the Cat scales a few times and after I load the bikes, food,
water and stuff the trailer axles come in at 11,700

I see my tires are rated for 3,420 x 4 = 13,600 So if I am doing the math right I should be under my max load.

I do not know if you have a tire service thing or not that will change you tire for you but I would get one. We use Coach-Net RV cost 139.00 a year
They helped out a lot both times I had a guy there and was back on the road in less then 90 min. And that was in two diff states.

Cause when you are on the Interstate and truck and cars are going by at 80+
and there just room for the truck and trailer its no fun :eek:

I am sure you will get good info here.

Ron.

Got 88
01-09-2014, 08:47 AM
The Sailun's are quite a bit cheaper compared to the Goodyear's, although I don't see many reviews on them.

CWtheMan
01-10-2014, 10:20 AM
I also read good reviews about Maxxis, but the speed rating is 65mph and weight rating is 3420lbs...which would be a little under.

Your trailer's axles probably have 6750# GAWR each. Conformation can be found on the trailer's certification label.

CW