PDA

View Full Version : A 1/2 Ton towing story

Western Traveler
12-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Take this info or leave it, up to you.
DW and I decided to go with a TT recently as we decided tent camping in Grizzly country was becoming a bit unnerving and the ground can be damn uncomfortable sometimes.
We have a 2003 F150 5.4 Triton extended cab 4x4 with just over 100k miles. We considered buying a 3/4 ton before the TT but all the forums, reviews, and complaints regarding the recent maintenance, repairs and smog changes on the newer TV's made my head hurt!!!
We decided to find the TT we wanted and then go from there. We went with a 2014 Cougar 21RBSWE 1/2 Ton Series.
Went to a very reputable local Trailer supply store and sat down with one of the owners with all the weight info in hand. Using liberal loading data it was determined I was within my tow vehicle parameters with a decent margin.

I added better tires, new heavy duty shocks, a K&N Cold Air Intake, Cat back Magna Flow exhaust and a break controller. I will let you do the math.
I should mention the only thing the Trailer supply store got out of this was my purchase of a Reese Straightline WDH and the controller install.

Took delivery the other day in Arizona. Had to bring it back to SoCal for my insurance company to take photos and a few other things before I head north (nearly empty TT for this trip).
There is a notorious grade coming out of the desert sea level to about 5000 feet in a handful of miles. It eats trucks on a regular basis as it is between San Diego and the Glamis sand dunes where so many off roaders take their toy haulers and RV's and go to play.
I knew this would be the test for my TV. Across the desert no problem with overdrive switch on and 8 mpg.
When I hit the grade it handled it fairly well until about midway up. Then I was short a gear. Pedal to the floor and 45mph as low as 43 at one point.
Felt like if I gave up a few RPMs I would soon be climbing at 20mph from there on out.
We live, travel and camp in the Western States and Rocky Mountains.

The truck has a 3.55 axle.
The Dyno Shop, Gear Venders, and a handful of Axle and gear shops are right down the road from our So Cal home.
Talked to the Dyno Shop and was told for about $1000 I could put in a chip and have it tuned but not to do it.
Talked to Craig at Pro Gear and for $1500 or so I could change out the axles to 410's. His advise DO NOT DO THIS! (obviously they are familiar with the grade in question).
Said he would love to take my money but he couldn't in good conscience do it.
So back to shopping for a 3/4 ton diesel.

I do not need to be beat up about this and yes I read all the blogs about 1/2 tons and I am sure many are happy towing with theirs.

It is just not how DW and I roll. The thought of being stuck on some grade in the late fall with DW as daylight is fading because I pushed my TV too hard is unacceptable.

I am posting this as food for thought for others with 1/2 tons that are on the cusp with their TV.

The good news is we will sell our Chev 1500 Z71 and keep this truck but it was a great truck before the modifications and that money could have gone towards the next one.
Now to figure out all these damn diesel engines.

Ken / Claudia
12-20-2013, 11:25 AM
That was me afew years ago. Tried a 88 pathfinder, 77 Chev, 79 GMC, 88 and 93 Fords 1/2 tons and finally learned to go to a 96 F250 powerstoke. I was taking the hills at 35 and down to maybe 25. Now the biggest grades are down to 50 and I still beat the fuel milage of all those older gassers. I also replaced axles, ring gears, since back than 1/2s tons were non free floating axles. They just could not carry the weight. I would look for a newer 350 except this one is still better and almost trouble free at 12 years old than any of the other trucks I owned.

RGene7001
12-23-2013, 07:36 PM
The problem here is not the fact that this is a half ton, but because it was a half ton loaded with antiquated technology. In a addition to a 4 speed transmission and less than perfect rear end ratio maximal engine output is only 221hp on sea level which will drop to 180-190 at 4000-5000 feet and this will explain further deterioration of performance on the second part of the climb. Only turbocharging or good horsepower reserve (or hp/weight ratio) to begin with could prevent this problem.

Slowdown is acceptable, even during SAE J2807 towing test, where HD trucks are actually permitted to go SLOWER compared to half ton versions!!!

Upgrades are just waste of money, they may advertise up to 5 or so percent improvement but the key words here are "up to".
Generally, 45mph is not the most horrible situation when going uphill, I doubt loaded 18 wheeler would go any faster, it all depends how much time per year you spend doing such climbs, then decide if it really worths to upgrade depending on your finances.
The truck will not stall as long as cooling is adequate and there is gas in the tank.

Western Traveler
12-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Yep,
Yep,
Nope,
Nope,
A lot so yep

f6bits
12-24-2013, 06:50 AM
That's not too different from my setup, except I have 3.73. I've pulled my trailer up the Grapevine without being *too* painfully slow, and some crazy steep grade near Anza-Borrego. That slowed me down to abut 35, but it was a windy 50MPH zone.

However, if I was going to spend most of my towing time in Rockies, yeah, I'd get more truck. Next time around, I suspect I'll be getting an Ecoboost, or a diesel/fiver combo.

jje1960
12-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Take this info or leave it, up to you.
DW and I decided to go with a TT recently as we decided tent camping in Grizzly country was becoming a bit unnerving and the ground can be damn uncomfortable sometimes.
We have a 2003 F150 5.4 Triton extended cab 4x4 with just over 100k miles. We considered buying a 3/4 ton before the TT but all the forums, reviews, and complaints regarding the recent maintenance, repairs and smog changes on the newer TV's made my head hurt!!!
We decided to find the TT we wanted and then go from there. We went with a 2014 Cougar 21RBSWE 1/2 Ton Series.
Went to a very reputable local Trailer supply store and sat down with one of the owners with all the weight info in hand. Using liberal loading data it was determined I was within my tow vehicle parameters with a decent margin.

I added better tires, new heavy duty shocks, a K&N Cold Air Intake, Cat back Magna Flow exhaust and a break controller. I will let you do the math.
I should mention the only thing the Trailer supply store got out of this was my purchase of a Reese Straightline WDH and the controller install.

Took delivery the other day in Arizona. Had to bring it back to SoCal for my insurance company to take photos and a few other things before I head north (nearly empty TT for this trip).
There is a notorious grade coming out of the desert sea level to about 5000 feet in a handful of miles. It eats trucks on a regular basis as it is between San Diego and the Glamis sand dunes where so many off roaders take their toy haulers and RV's and go to play.
I knew this would be the test for my TV. Across the desert no problem with overdrive switch on and 8 mpg.
When I hit the grade it handled it fairly well until about midway up. Then I was short a gear. Pedal to the floor and 45mph as low as 43 at one point.
Felt like if I gave up a few RPMs I would soon be climbing at 20mph from there on out.
We live, travel and camp in the Western States and Rocky Mountains.

The truck has a 3.55 axle.
The Dyno Shop, Gear Venders, and a handful of Axle and gear shops are right down the road from our So Cal home.
Talked to the Dyno Shop and was told for about $1000 I could put in a chip and have it tuned but not to do it.
Talked to Craig at Pro Gear and for $1500 or so I could change out the axles to 410's. His advise DO NOT DO THIS! (obviously they are familiar with the grade in question).
Said he would love to take my money but he couldn't in good conscience do it.
So back to shopping for a 3/4 ton diesel.

I do not need to be beat up about this and yes I read all the blogs about 1/2 tons and I am sure many are happy towing with theirs.

It is just not how DW and I roll. The thought of being stuck on some grade in the late fall with DW as daylight is fading because I pushed my TV too hard is unacceptable.

I am posting this as food for thought for others with 1/2 tons that are on the cusp with their TV.

The good news is we will sell our Chev 1500 Z71 and keep this truck but it was a great truck before the modifications and that money could have gone towards the next one.
Now to figure out all these damn diesel engines.
I so very often see the posts... So very similar.... Hope you don't mind, I'm going to reference your post from now on, well stated. I've tried to stress to newer types that it's just not worth the 'on the fence' while taking off with under size/power/capability TV's.... Some heed, some don't. What is frustrating is that the immediate response / reaction is that the advise is critical vs guidance.... I know how how our setup tows even here on the East Coast (although the WV Mountains are at/over 9% some places) I can't even imagine going out West with under powered/capability Truck. Thanks for your post.

bmach
12-29-2013, 10:08 AM
So the problem really is that you are under powered, correct? Not that it is a 1/2 ton?

BulletOwner1
12-29-2013, 06:27 PM
I will try very hard not to regale you with how much I like my truck. What I would ask you is "What do you want to drive around town in when not towing?". If you went to the trouble of buying a "1/2 Ton Capable" RV why not utilize that advantage and buy a capable 1/2 ton pickup. They are less expensive, lighter, and probably more economical than the 3/4 ton ones especially with the added cost of a diesel engine, and fuel. All brand loyalty aside, they all make more horsepower, and have (I think) 6 speed trannys. Both these items aid greatly in making a 1/2 ton struggle much less. I had a 2001 F150S S/crew with 5.4/4spd auto so I can identify with your 2003 issues. My new truck is far and away a better one.

Okay I'll stop. Pick what you want, you'll be happy with it I'm sure.

Cnc_hemi
12-29-2013, 07:18 PM
I have been there to. With a 1/2 ton edition 24' 5er and a 1/2 ton truck. It only weighed 6800. On flat ground it did ok but any hills and boy o boy. Decided to find a diesel that's when camping became fun no worries about pulling or my truck. That truck was a 2005 5.9 cumming dodge. And I loved it. Only up grade was an edge programer. When we upgraded to a bigger 5er. From 24'-30' I now have a 2012 gmc sierra 2500 HD with the 6.6 duramax. And this truck is a power. It drags my toy hauler anywhere I want. As for a any thing different is I add DEF. only do that about every 7000 miles. About 25$ to fill it up. Napa. Now most truck stops have it on tap. Good luck with looking the only thing about any of the trucks I have heard bad is the fords with 6.0 PS diesel has had a ton of issues. And the 07-09 dodge had some issues with the exhaust system. But I believe all 3 brands have to the most point fixed all their issues. Any one of them will pull you camper anywhere u want. I tried the same thing with my 1/2 ton. Exhaust, air intake, chip, gears. And it helped but on gas burner can tow like a diesel. If it's MPG you are looking for look for you a 2004-2005 dodge Cummins 5.9L. The one I had with 10k lbs it still got 15 pulling and 23 hwy. this new gmc has a tin more power but sucks a ton more fuel. 18/19 hwy. and 12 pulling but that's with. 14k 5er hope this helps you. You won't regret getting a diesel with pulling through them grades. It will never check up. And with the small TT you have it won't even down shift most likely.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L

FullTimer
12-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Frankly after hearing about how great the Tritons were, I bought a '98 4.6L Triton V8 5 years ago to pull a 22 Road Ranger, 3100 lbs dead weight. I would have been better served to buy an older 3/4 ton model with a 460ci or something, would have been cheaper. Disappointed is an understatement. I always had to remember to wind the rubber band up before leaving on a jaunt. The Tritons have a different power curve to them. Since then I have learned you need lots of torque (BHP), not so much raw HP. That's where the diesals come in. Gobs of bottom end. The truck just sits there now, no way I'm putting a 28 footer on it.

So the moral of the story is, don't feel bad, many of us have and are there.

Western Traveler
12-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Note; This was thread was not started as 1/2T vs. 3/4T
I posted it as food for thought for those weighing their options and suspect they are on the cusp with their chosen configuration.

@Bulletowner
Those thoughts were exactly how I got to this point!
At first blush one would think that a 1/2 ton towable is towable with a 1/2T just like a "Polar Package" is a Four Season trailer.

In my case it is a two fold problem, yes, the truck is capable of towing this trailer but it lacks torque and is geared with a less than optimum ratio. Without visiting a scale yet I do not know how close I actually am to my weight limits but as I indicated in my 1st post I was practically empty. What happens when I load for a big trip? (As "Rgene" stated 'The problem is it is a 1/2 ton towing with antiquated equipment'). The gear can add up quickly. We dry camp a lot and the Western Edition comes with oversized tanks which we will utilize.

I tried to upgrade the truck to make it a good tow vehicle for my needs. The modifications made a huge difference when driving around with it unloaded but still fell short in pulling the mountains to my standards (easy on my equipment).

The businesses geared to modifying equipment for optimum performance all gave me the same advice. For me to ignore these professionals would be foolish.

I hunt a lot and so have several very nice rifles to choose from. In Montana the only restriction to rifle hunting Big Game is use of a center fire cartridge.

Can I kill an elk with a 100 grain 243 caliber bullet? Yes, and the rifle weighs much less than my 300 magnum when hiking at altitude. I am a hand loader and can up the weight and load of that 243 to make it perform better but it would be wrong to the core of my being to hunt elk with that 243, but it is legal and can be done. That is where I am with this truck.

Last summers trip (2700 miles round trip) took us through a portion of California, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming and Montana. If I was just a weekender that traveled locally with the family through hilly country it might be different.
As to comfort when not towing, I commute to work by airplane 4 to 5 times a year. When I need comfort I drive DW's car or she drives me.

@Fulltimer, I hear you! Way back I had a F250 460 gasser. Big heavy 9' over the cab and a large boat pulled behind it. Up the grades as fast as I wanted to go, young and foolish so that was Fast. 8 mpg loaded, 8 mpg empty. Sold it because gas prices soared to $1.00 a gallon, LOL

BulletOwner1
12-30-2013, 09:28 AM
There's more than one of us on this forum that FULLY understand about the "Polar Package".

JRTJH
12-30-2013, 09:45 AM
To appreciate the improvement in towing capability in the past 12 years, one needs to compare the 1998 F150 4.6L engine to the 2010 F150 4.6L engine. As there were no supercrew models in 1998, I used the supercab short bed as comparable trucks. I also opted to compare the 3 valve version of the 2010 engine. There was a 2010 2 valve available, but I did not use it as that engine was not available with an "upgraded tow package".

1998: 16 valves 220HP 265 ftlb torque 4 speed auto with one OD gear
max GVW 6220 max towing 8200 lbs max payload 1520 lbs

2010: 24 valves 292 HP 320 vtlb torque 6 speed auto with 2 OD gears and a Tow/Haul electronic controlled transmission
max GVW 7050 max towing 9400 lbs max payload 1510 lbs

It's fairly obvious that in the 12 model years between these two trucks, a significant improvement was made in towing capability. It is also interesting to note that the max payload actually went down by 10 lbs. I believe this is, at least in part, because of the "towing war" between GM, Dodge and Ford.

The recent addition of the ECOboost engine to the F150 with it's very low RPM at max torque/max HP gives it the towing performance of a small diesel while maintaining a "V-6" economy when not towing. Sort of a "modified best world" capability.

I haven't included comparables from other manufacturers as this is just a comparison of Ford's 12 year towing improvements. The new GM engines should improve that model line significantly but that's for another post in another thread.

Javi
12-30-2013, 09:52 AM
The recent addition of the ECOboost engine to the F150 with it's very low RPM at max torque/max HP gives it the towing performance of a small diesel while maintaining a "V-6" economy when not towing. Sort of a "modified best world" capability.

Funny thing about that is, I get the same mileage running empty with my diesel as the ecoboost and its "V-6" and yet I can tow/haul so much more.

BobnLee
12-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Been there done that. Go diesel no worries no mountains to worry about. All three make very decent trucks. I've never looked back.

JRTJH
12-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Funny thing about that is, I get the same mileage running empty with my diesel as the ecoboost and its "V-6" and yet I can tow/haul so much more.

There are significantly more BTU's in diesel, in addition to the inherently more efficient abiity to use the available BTU's, which pretty much explain the improved diesel mileage. I was NOT advocating the ECOboost over a diesel, rather I was relating the improvements in the 4.6L Ford modular V-8 from 1998 to 2010. The post is in reference to a previous post stating how poorly the 1998 4.6L engine performs when towing. There is night and day difference in the two engines (1998/2010) although the do share the same basic displacement.

As for my comment regarding the ECOboost, it does provide similar low RPM torque/HP similar to a small diesel's RPM ratings. It is a natural "follow-on" to the larger V-8 internal combustion gas engine. And as a gas engine, it provides "V-8 power" for towing yet still provides "V-6" economy when not towing. The only reference to diesel was in the performance at low RPM's. I was not comparing the ECOboost to a large I-6 or V-8 diesel. That would be like comparing a quarter horse to a Clydesdale. Sure they both have 4 legs that touch the ground, but after that, there's very little that's similar. I don't think there's a practical way to compare diesel to gas and hit all the categories from low RPM performance to initial cost. They just simply aren't the same after you get past the fact that there's a hood over each of them..... The only reference was to "diesel like low RPM performance" and certainly no reference to towing economy.

Cnc_hemi
12-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Yes you said it right, apples to oranges. For I have been right where @WT is at right now. Needing a truck upgrade. Like I posted earlier I had a 1/2 ton pulling a 5er what I didn't include was I didn't want to pay cost of a diesel as well. So I upgraded to a 3/4 gas. I will say it was an improvement and it handled my 5er much better. But where it had its issues was when I hit any long grades or steep hills. And when I got around big trucks the wind draft have me fits to pass with out a good head start. Lol. Then after taking a trip with a friend that had a diesel my opinion about diesels was changed. I bit the bullet and got me one. Night and day difference, so I know exactly what you are facing WT. So for anyone else out there that may hear from a dealer that 1/2 ton's will handle a 1/2t edition TT or 5er. Just because it's in the limits of the truck think hard about it. If you may only drive flat ground or stay local to your home you maybe ok. But if you are going to plan for long trips or have and mountains or big grades to face you might want to think diesel.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L

Ken / Claudia
01-02-2014, 04:28 PM
JRTJH,
I was assigned a ford F150 maybe a 98 with the 4.6 engine. It had 2 gas peddle postions idle and floored. We had to use the f250 w460 to tow anything. One day I got into a police package Crown Vick on a over time shift with same engine. It was the first vehicle that could not overtake speeders when I uturned on them on highways since I had started in 1981. Biggest dog of a police car ever. I later drove the newer 4.6s with 24 valve engines in the cars and it was much better, like a whole different engine. We switched to Chev trucks and I never drove a F150 with the newer engine.

skagitstan
01-04-2014, 10:51 AM
I've got a 21RBSWE towed by an 2013 F150 4x4 Ecoboost with a 3.55 rear.
This setup handles just fine at the speed limit going up and over the North Cascades crest, with plenty of reserve for passing semis on the freeway, or on the no-name logging roads on which we try to get lost.

We make the weight limits with some to spare. It's only my spousal unit, 2 dogs, & me. We travel pretty light...a carryover habit from our backpacking days.

Most of the time the truck is not out towing, so I really didn't want to have the tradeoffs of a 3/4 when just using it for normal stuff.

Western Traveler
01-10-2014, 08:17 PM
Hindsight is 20/20
My Solution...
06' F250 Super Duty King Ranch
6.0L diesel
Bulletproofed