PDA

View Full Version : Cummins Engine Mods

MilitaryRoamer
12-16-2013, 11:41 AM
So I've been doing a lot of research and am wondering if anyone has done any of the modifications to their Cummins engines.

I've seen forums with topics ranging from exhaust modifications and component deletes to flashing the computer. There are Pros and Cons to everything I guess, but I'm looking more to the towing benefits and mileage.

If anyone has done any modifications, how did they turn out and would you say they are worth it?

hankpage
12-16-2013, 01:29 PM
The only thing I have done to my 5.9 is gauges and improved air intake. Haven't found any need for more yet. I get good mileage and it gets up and goes when I ask it too. When and if I need injectors I would go to stage one but that is about it. If you really want info on this poke around Turbo Diesel Register (http://www.turbodieselregister.com/?) They are the number 1 website on Dodge/Ram/Cummins pickups on the net. Enjoy that truck, Hank

davidjsimons
12-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Leave it alone is my advice. That's just my opinion though.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.

Sparky
12-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Yup, I'd leave as is other than maybe upgrading the air intake. You have the HO that gives you all the torque you'll need. The 2014's provide a Allison transmission option for $2800.

SAD
12-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Yup, I'd leave as is other than maybe upgrading the air intake. You have the HO that gives you all the torque you'll need. The 2014's provide a Allison transmission option for $2800.

No. There is no Allison option for any Dodge Ram (Cummins equipped or otherwise).

You can get a commercial Aisin.... But not Allison.

billb800si
12-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Just remember if you do any non_OEM chipping to increase MPG etc.... the computer will note it and if you go in for any warranty work it will void the warranty on the engine.
Told to me by Chrysler direct.
Good luck,

davidjsimons
12-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Just remember if you do any non_OEM chipping to increase MPG etc.... the computer will note it and if you go in for any warranty work it will void the warranty on the engine.

Told to me by Chrysler direct.

Good luck,

That happened to a good friend of mine just this week.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.

Jim W
12-17-2013, 07:07 AM
So I've been doing a lot of research and am wondering if anyone has done any of the modifications to their Cummins engines.

I've seen forums with topics ranging from exhaust modifications and component deletes to flashing the computer. There are Pros and Cons to everything I guess, but I'm looking more to the towing benefits and mileage.

If anyone has done any modifications, how did they turn out and would you say they are worth it?

Hi I am sending you a PM with a link to a site that will answer your questions for you.

I did become my own warranty station in Aug 09 with my Ram. Best decision I ever made. Would I do it again yes!!! The only issue I ever had has been with the emission system components; now no issues at all.

BTW I am 64 years young and retired.

Jim W.

SAABDOCTOR
12-17-2013, 08:51 AM
OUT SIDE OF AIR INTAKE AND EXHAUST I am not postive there is any great bennifit for the engine mods IE chipped. also once you strat with that you become the manufacture and there will be no warranty.Honestly that cummins has more than enough power. Spend the extra on camping! just my 2cents worth.:)

LittleJoe
12-22-2013, 05:44 PM
If it's a 6.7 leave it alone. If you push them towing heavy with mods , there can be head gasket issues unless you go head studs etc, etc. they can be made very reliable but require no shortcuts. The stock 6.7 is a torque monster and will do you well. Smarty programmer has a chip for stock 6.7 that will help with regen issues but will void warranty as it is detectable by dealer computer.
If a 5.9 a smarty jr is a good install and forget small power boost (75 tow) that will run cooler EGT than stock and not hurt anything if extra torque is not abused. JMO of course.
We run a fleet of DRW 3500 rams (9) in total now. We do not run ANY 6.7 from 07.5 -12 and have one new 13 because of improvements to emission management.

Jim W
12-23-2013, 08:49 AM
If it's a 6.7 leave it alone. If you push them towing heavy with mods , there can be head gasket issues unless you go head studs etc, etc. they can be made very reliable but require no shortcuts. The stock 6.7 is a torque monster and will do you well. Smarty programmer has a chip for stock 6.7 that will help with regen issues but will void warranty as it is detectable by dealer computer.
If a 5.9 a smarty jr is a good install and forget small power boost (75 tow) that will run cooler EGT than stock and not hurt anything if extra torque is not abused. JMO of course.
We run a fleet of DRW 3500 rams (9) in total now. We do not run ANY 6.7 from 07.5 -12 and have one new 13 because of improvements to emission management.

As long as you watch the drive pressure and boost this will not happen. I am 60HP/120lb-ft over stock at the rear wheels been this way for over 60K miles.

Jim W.

LittleJoe
12-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Speaking in general Jim. Very few will pay close enough attention or for that matter know what drive pressure is or have guage to monitor.
I like the smjr as it runs cooler than stock EGT and is safe without any guages. A good program that is safe without undue attention.

If I was going to mod a 6.7 it would have head studs , would not have the variable vane charger. The siamesed cyl design is inherently less efficient at cooling than a complete surround cyl.

Just sayin the 6.7 in stock form is plenty strong enough for most any RV and there are more issues to consider than equivalent mods on a 5.9 in my opinion .
My sons 13 with aisin will absolutely walk away from a 04 with jr. Pulling the same load.