PDA

View Full Version : Which Brand of Coffee Do You Buy??

Steve S
12-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Speaking of coffee what brand do you guys buy? Do you grind your own?

2014Fuzion300
12-15-2013, 03:59 PM
We try to buy Costa Rican coffee.
It is the best! If not we buy Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts!

Woodsrider
12-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Speaking of coffee what brand do you guys buy? Do you grind your own?

Folgers. Its what my wife likes.

Javi
12-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Folgers or Maxwell House cause the DW says so...

I'm getting a single cup thingy for Christmas so I can drink real coffee and not the floor sweepings she likes. "bouncey:

fla-gypsy
12-15-2013, 04:16 PM
8 O'clock whole bean and I grind my own

SAD
12-15-2013, 05:01 PM
8 O'clock whole bean and I grind my own

Exactly this!

byrdr1
12-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Folgers. Its what my wife likes.

Folgers with french vanilla creamer....always folgers..

B&T
12-15-2013, 05:25 PM
Folgers Colombian medium roast is my preference for filling my own k-cups

michol02
12-15-2013, 05:29 PM
French Market with chicory at work, and various Keurig cups at home.:D

JRTJH
12-15-2013, 05:36 PM
The one thing I refused to give up when we moved to Michigan from Louisiana was "MY" Community coffee. We order it 10 bricks at a time from Community Coffee. There are several "roasts" available, but for everyday coffee, the "between roast" seems to be best for most people. I prefer the Dark Roast with Chicory for special occasions. When we visit relatives around the area, both my DW and I really enjoy getting back to the camper and having a real cup of coffee after the "see through" stuff most serve up here :D

x96mnn
12-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Tim Hortons Kcup

Dhuhn
12-15-2013, 05:59 PM
I use folgers columbia supreme. It's what I like

Tigerbite
12-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Community breakfast blend, a medium roast Lousiana coffee. DW goes mostly for CDM, which is the coffee served at the famous Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans.

Steve S
12-15-2013, 07:07 PM
I grind my own, anything foreign works for me. I can't use cream in my coffee or my dog drinks it! lol!
My GF makes coffee so strong that it can burn steel! I have to make it has to be perfect at 5 am.

theeyres
12-15-2013, 07:47 PM
We try to buy Costa Rican coffee.
It is the best! If not we buy Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts!

I also love Costa Rican coffee but have given up buying it as I cannot find any that's any good. I used to order it direct from Costa Rica but shipping got to be too much. Any suggestions?

2014Fuzion300
12-15-2013, 07:56 PM
We buy different brands...
Montańa, Café 1820, Dorado, Rey,Leyenda, Britt ,etc.
We love Café Britt Dark Roast.
Try www.cafebritt.com
Not cheap but you get what you pay for!
Bouncey!

hankpage
12-15-2013, 09:17 PM
The one thing I refused to give up when we moved to Michigan from Louisiana was "MY" Community coffee. We order it 10 bricks at a time from Community Coffee. There are several "roasts" available, but for everyday coffee, the "between roast" seems to be best for most people. I prefer the Dark Roast with Chicory for special occasions. When we visit relatives around the area, both my DW and I really enjoy getting back to the camper and having a real cup of coffee after the "see through" stuff most serve up here :D

I still remember when I was driving for a living, stopping in a truckstop in Mississippi or Louisiana and the waitress asking me "Y'all want Yankee coffee"? I guess if you grew up with it it's okay but coffee is coffee and chicory is chicory and it does not belong in my coffee. I prefer Hawaiian (Kona pea berry)coffee but it has been very scarce due to last years bad crop and most blends are only 10% anyway. So my second choice is Costa Rican. I do grind my own beans but like the convenience of the Kcups so I use the Melita Kcup thinga-ma-jig and I'm happy. Strong, black, hot coffee in the morning ..... adding milk, cream, flavors, sugar or sweeteners is sacrilegious. After all this .. if desperate I will drink anything but Maxwell House. Ooooooh I want a cup now but won't sleep. Now I'm looking forward to morning, Hank
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1137

Mark TC
12-16-2013, 12:44 AM
Maxwell House

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PT RV`er
12-16-2013, 05:09 AM
We drink New England Coffee French Vanilla.

JRTJH
12-16-2013, 08:00 AM
I still remember when I was driving for a living, stopping in a truckstop in Mississippi or Louisiana and the waitress asking me "Y'all want Yankee coffee"?... Hank
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1137

Hmmmm, If the spoon won't stand up in the cup, then the coffee is too weak LOL. But really, like "cane syrup", chicory is an acquired taste. When you first drink a cup, if you're not expecting it, it is definitely a "surprise" LOL

We also special order our syrup, Blackburn's cane syrup (It's processed in Texas). Somehow, pancakes with that "waffle syrup" made from beets just isn't a replacement for the richer "almost caramelized in the big cast iron pot" cane syrup that used to be made right in the cane fields. There's a pressing station/cooking shed on Old LA 1 between Batchelor and Innis. It's not used any more, but the cane is still grown there and now pressed at another nearby processing plant.

What could be better to go with that dark roast with chicory than some fresh smoked ham (or tasso if you can get it), eggs, grits, fresh biscuits with real butter and some real cane syrup to dip the biscuits in??? I just ate my "cheerios and skim milk" and now I'm hungry again..... :rolleyes:

Andymon
12-16-2013, 08:14 AM
My first choice is Sumatra to grind. The second is Folgers Breakfast Blend.

hankpage
12-16-2013, 09:15 AM
What could be better to go with that dark roast with chicory than some fresh smoked ham (or tasso if you can get it), eggs, grits, fresh biscuits with real butter and some real cane syrup to dip the biscuits in??? I just ate my "cheerios and skim milk" and now I'm hungry again..... :rolleyes:

With an extra Lipitor and an insulin chaser. :eek: :D

SAABDOCTOR
12-16-2013, 09:18 AM
GREEN MOUNTAIN DARK ROAST.or espresso! This having been brought up on my mothers coffee which most have said" was the best cup they ever chewed"! they could pave roads with it!:eek:

JRTJH
12-16-2013, 09:27 AM
With an extra Lipitor and an insulin chaser. :eek: :D

Yup, notice I said, "After eating my Cheerios and skim milk..." <sigh> :(

LABSRUS
12-16-2013, 01:30 PM
I like Decaf Folgers, instant or brewed.
DH likes leaded Starbucks House Blend in his Keurig one fresh cup at a time.
So I said, let's get a Keurig for the camper... he says "not enough counter space for 2 coffee pots".
Hmmmmm... there's a dilemma! "bouncey:

hankpage
12-16-2013, 01:38 PM
So I said, let's get a Keurig for the camper... he says "not enough counter space for 2 coffee pots".

You can get both types in K cups ..... Problem solved. We use a stove top perk while on the road and the K cup while in a site. Best of both worlds.

jje1960
12-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Green Mountain Dark Magic! Love that Kcup machine.

LABSRUS
12-16-2013, 01:54 PM
You can get both types in K cups ..... Problem solved. We use a stove top perk while on the road and the K cup while in a site. Best of both worlds.

I agree, but those darn K cups are really pricey!
We'll be at a permanent camping site all year round.
We do have a "my k cup" to use with your own grounds, maybe then I could still buy my ground Folders and only use the Keurig in the camper.

I'll have to give it a try at home.(tx)

filmtex
12-16-2013, 02:05 PM
We have been buying Ruta Maya shade grown, fair-trade, Chiapa Mexico coffee for years. I first had it in a small cafe in Southtown, San Antonio and have been drinking it ever since. We buy it in 1 kilo bags from Costco.

crash
12-17-2013, 03:42 AM
This is my type of coffee:DThe one the only Bloody Mary.

dankent
12-17-2013, 03:43 AM
I buy tim hortons coffee and i have a tim hortons (home version) machine in my trailer.

deadeye
12-17-2013, 04:41 AM
Tim Hortons eh

cathcartww
12-17-2013, 04:36 PM
We prefer 100% Colombian, and watch for whatever brand is on sale - if nobody has it on sale, Walmart usually has it at a fair price. Buy it already ground, as we go through it pretty quick, and haven't been able to tell the difference. We brew in a Melita pour over funnel with a thermos like this :

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0080J2N8A/?tag=triskateland-20

which uses no electricity (just heat the water with propane or campfire) and the only waste is the spent coffee grounds and the paper filter.

floatflyer
12-17-2013, 11:25 PM
I got spoiled by a small local roasting operation's Costa Rican some years ago until they folded because new regulations required very expensive smoke control equipment. I couldn't find any commercially available coffee I liked but I did discover the home roasting community. I have a one pound home roaster about the size of a toaster oven and buy green beans to roast at home. Coffee doesn't get fresher than that. I drink coffee straight black and a medium roast is the best balance of flavor for my taste. My preference is generally Costa Rican or Panamanian very high altitude grown small lots but other Central American sources can also be good. I have been doing it for about six years and it's a nice hobby. Most people say it's the best they ever tasted. Probably because it's never more than a week old.

327fls
12-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Green Mountain Dark Magic! Love that Kcup machine. "bouncey:

Garyd
12-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Torke'
Grew up in Sheboygan and spent about a year working in a factory one block away. Never forgot the smell of those beans roasting! For the past few years I was buying green and roasting them myself but when I spotted Torke' roasted whole beans at the grocery store a while back I picked up the bag and gave it a sniff and it was all over. If I ever move out of the area I'd have to order on-line.
http://www.torkecoffee.com/index.html

gearhead
12-18-2013, 07:18 PM
Community, Community, Community. Baton Rouge LOUISIANA.
Café Special.

jje1960
12-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Green Mountain Dark Magic! Love that Kcup machine. "bouncey:
Yea buddy. We run the single cup Keurig on our small generator inverter, all the comforts of home.

NCCamper
12-19-2013, 05:18 PM
I like Chock Full O Nuts French Roast if I am brewing, and for my Kuerig at work, I currently like Peets French Toast.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

gearhead
12-21-2013, 07:24 AM
Not to hijack the coffee thread but since John mentioned Louisiana cane syrup I thought I would add this old pic. This is a "family syrup mill". The cane is in the wagon and is being squeezed by the horse powered press. Then the liquid is reduced to syrup in the big wood fired pot under the shed.
Picture was taken about 1900. My grandmother is the 3 yr old girl on far left in the dark dress. Location is north of Lake Charles LA.

Jca3
12-21-2013, 12:49 PM

I like starbucks and grind my own if we have electricity, if not I grind a bunch before we leave. Always boil water in a tea kettle and pour over the grounds in my Melita. No coffee pots and no extra trash those little keurigs create. They will be the next water bottles in the landfills. That's what I have against them but I am sure they are nice and convenient.

ThePressureIsOn
12-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Coffee smells so good but tastes so bad!:)

Javi
12-22-2013, 06:55 PM

Went out and bought me several of their roast choices, will get to try them Christmas morning. Can't wait.

BobnLee
12-22-2013, 07:15 PM
We hit Costco and purchase the big 2 kg bag of Starbucks for 16.00 and grind our own. Good quality coffee

JRTJH
12-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Went out and bought me several of their roast choices, will get to try them Christmas morning. Can't wait.

Here's hoping you find it as "robust and refreshing" as we do :xmas8:

SAD
12-22-2013, 07:37 PM

Ha! More wrong you couldn't be!

fred1609
12-22-2013, 07:54 PM
coffee is a food group

fla-gypsy
12-22-2013, 08:30 PM
coffee is a food group

Correction; it is an essential food group!

Western Traveler
12-22-2013, 09:05 PM
I hate coffee, I only drink it to keep the headaches away!:cool:

Italian roast or Espresso Roast, strong and thick from my coffee press.
Usually Starbucks brand because it is easy to find and pretty consistent...

Steve S
12-23-2013, 11:43 AM
I'm finding that coffee and baileys is tasting pretty good in the evenings. :)

Bean
12-23-2013, 12:01 PM

I have to agree with you.
I love the smell of the ground beans, and I really like coffee ice cream, the coffee is just so bitter. I could probably drink it if I had to by putting tons of cream and sugar in it.

Bean

Sherwood
12-27-2013, 10:26 AM
My favorite brand of coffee is Mountain Dew. Honestly, I can't stand the taste of coffee. Yes, call me weird I guess. My wife, on the other hand, loves her flavored coffee out of her Keurig.

hankpage
12-27-2013, 12:12 PM
CREAM????? SUGAR?????? FLAVORS?????? TASTES BAD????? BITTER??????
What is this world coming to????
Oh well, at least most of us agree on Keystone. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1137

CHIEF MK
12-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Yea buddy. We run the single cup Keurig on our small generator inverter, all the comforts of home.

I'm with you. We bought one for the trailer, because we liked the one we have in our house so much. I've been drinking Folgers forever, and got to the point I didn't like it. My wife bought the Keurig, and I haven't had a bad cup yet.

She likes the French roast ,and I like the house brand. Best coffee ever.

cabinfever
12-31-2013, 07:50 AM
My favorite brand of coffee is Mountain Dew. Honestly, I can't stand the taste of coffee. Yes, call me weird I guess. My wife, on the other hand, loves her flavored coffee out of her Keurig.

I will second that, just with Diet Dew. I do like the smell of coffee brewing, just never acquired a taste for it. I bought the DW some Tim Hortons K Cups for Santa to put in her stocking. She said it taste better than the brew at Tim Hortons and is the best from the Keurig so far.

Abnormal
01-02-2014, 10:34 PM
I buy tim hortons coffee and i have a tim hortons (home version) machine in my trailer.

+1
I believe it may be mandatory to have Tim Horton coffee handy as Canadians.

CHIEF MK
01-07-2014, 04:09 PM
My Mountain Dew is clear, and comes in a jar.

Sherwood
01-07-2014, 04:23 PM
I will second that, just with Diet Dew. I do like the smell of coffee brewing, just never acquired a taste for it. I bought the DW some Tim Hortons K Cups for Santa to put in her stocking. She said it taste better than the brew at Tim Hortons and is the best from the Keurig so far.
My wife loves her Keurig. Its really convenient to brew only one cup oppose to a whole pot for one cup.

My Mountain Dew is clear, and comes in a jar.
Ouch! That brings up some memories too embarrassing to admit too!

DieselMatt
01-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Folgers or Starbucks. It depends on whether we are alone or camping with family/friends. Oddly, I get the Starbucks when we are with the family/friends and drink the cheap Folgers when it is just me the DW.

sibwolf
01-07-2014, 06:26 PM
Gevalia and Starbucks (Tassimo)

Sent from my iPhone

fla-gypsy
01-07-2014, 06:31 PM
CREAM????? SUGAR?????? FLAVORS?????? TASTES BAD????? BITTER??????
What is this world coming to????
Oh well, at least most of us agree on Keystone. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1137

I'm wondering what in the world they were drinking! It certainly wasn't a properly brewed premium coffee!

jamesfamilytx
01-20-2014, 11:02 PM
HEB grocery (Texas company) has its own brand and it's good! I like the San Antonio blend (hint of cinnamon) but their Breakfast blend also is tasty. I'm not a fan of super dark roast--both of these are light/medium. K-cups at home, but in the trailer, we use this sweet little drip pot. It's at least 50 years old and I got it from my Grandpa Joe's hunting shack after he died. Makes two good sized delicious cups. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/21/y5u8ezuq.jpg

JeffS
01-22-2014, 01:57 PM
Steaming Bean Coffee - Telluride, CO

Black Canyon Blend

http://thebean.com/

homer3
01-22-2014, 07:47 PM
My wife and I like Tempranillo. This is for evening poor only.

Steve S
02-05-2014, 07:53 AM
A little off topic but I grind my own beans and the grinder is starting to act up.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good grinder:confused::)

canesfan
02-05-2014, 09:38 AM
I like Dunkin Donuts coffee, nothing fancy, just a good cup of coffee. I have a Senseo coffee maker and I haven't found pods for DD yet. I know you can make your own, but you can make your own beer, too. I'm getting lazy and prefer to let someone else do that and just enjoy it. :D

SAABDOCTOR
02-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Been plowing the shop and a few driveways. Dunkin has kept me going all day!!!:D will switch over to irsh coffee when i am done driving:party: then sleep

Jca3
02-06-2014, 06:54 PM
A little off topic but I grind my own beans and the grinder is starting to act up.

I have owned two Oster grinders for nearly 20 years. One I gave to my daughter and the other I have. Both are still going strong.

Essness
02-07-2014, 03:58 AM
Papa Nicholas Columbian Supremo whole bean,
http://www.papanicholas.com/
I grind and brew a pot (8 cups) every morning. I have the same maker at home and in the camper. It brews into a thermo pot so it doesn't bake it down to mud.
if for any reason I can't get Papa Nicholas, I'll get Dunkin.
I drink it black and only in the morning.

I have 2 grinders, one is by Krups (sp?) And the other is by Braun, both are at least 20 years old. The Krups seems like it could use new or sharper blades............

Jca3
02-07-2014, 05:16 AM

Whoops I looked at the grinder this morning and it is a Krups, not Oster.

Steve S
02-07-2014, 08:42 AM
So I'm still looking for a grinder and what I'm finding is there's so many and it confuses me so it's on my wife's bucket list now.
K back to coffee:) I bought the big bag of coffee beans last night for $16.00, the big can of ground coffee was $12.00. A nosy lady beside me said that the ground stuff was a better deal. So I told her that I like to grind my own coffee as it just seems like the right thing to do"bouncey:
I think I'm going to ask D about this as she has common sense about these things.

Bob Landry
02-07-2014, 01:31 PM
If you are in a hurry to get a package from Amazon, stay away from the free shipping. They call it Smart Post. Somehow, FedEx has hooked up the the USPS, which was never famous for efficiency anyway, to add a whole new dimension to parcel delivery. According to FedEx tracking, my box was handed off to the Post Office on Monday. Here it is Friday, the PO site says it arrived today, and estimated delivery for tomorrow. Five days to scan in a box and get it on the truck for delivery? Really? Do yourselves a favor and pay a few bucks for Ground.

Essness
02-07-2014, 02:03 PM
If you are in a hurry to get a package from Amazon, stay away from the free shipping. They call it Smart Post. Somehow, FedEx has hooked up the the USPS, which was never famous for efficiency anyway, to add a whole new dimension to parcel delivery. According to FedEx tracking, my box was handed off to the Post Office on Monday. Here it is Friday, the PO site says it arrived today, and estimated delivery for tomorrow. Five days to scan in a box and get it on the truck for delivery? Really? Do yourselves a favor and pay a few bucks for Ground.

But every few months they need anther rate hike :confused: And of course, dont forget to get your "forever stamps". Surely that's not a flawed business plan :eek:

Bob Landry
02-07-2014, 02:10 PM
To take a product or service that has diminishing demand and then start charging more for it sure sounds like a sound business plan to me.

I have no idea how my initial post about this ended up in that thread about coffee. I thought I started a new thread, maybe a senior moment.. Apologies to all, no hijack intended..

JRTJH
02-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Not to worry, Bob. Hijacked or not, most "coffee" or "coffee grinders" are available on Amazon, so it's relevant ... Sort of... LOL

Kind of like a new restaurant charging $100 for a steak and only getting one customer a week. When asked why they don't lower their prices to attract new customers, they respond with, "If we reduce our prices, we won't be able to pay the staff" Where's the "bullet to the toes" in that??????

One of the hardest concepts I tried to instill while in the military was to the Officer's Club management... I could never get them to understand that if they would reduce prices to compete with downtown, they would be full on Friday and Saturday evenings with members who wanted to support their club, but couldn't justify feeding their family for $1o0 when they could do it downtown at Red Lobster, Olive Garden, etc for less than $50...... They seemed to want to maintain the expensive pricing to create "exclusivity" and "ambiance" LOL only problem was, it created empty exclusiveness" sort of like the USPS

anyway................... Now I've gone and hijacked the thread......<sigh>

Steve S
02-07-2014, 05:13 PM
So I simply asked what's a better deal, coffee beans which I like to grind or pre-ground coffee.
So the way I understand it Bob says that I have to buy my beans from Amazon, pay some strange shipping that doesn't work and wait weeks till I get my bean so I can make a coffee? Am I doing something wrong by zipping up the road to buy a bag of beans?
John, do you want me to eat at Red Robins and spend $100.00 on dinner just to have a coffee? Do I really know that they grind their own beans there?
Wow, all I want is a simple life which I have, a simple coffee grinder and a coffee but now I'm really confused:confused::D:p

Bob Landry
02-07-2014, 05:33 PM
So I simply asked what's a better deal, coffee beans which I like to grind or pre-ground coffee.
So the way I understand it Bob says that I have to buy my beans from Amazon, pay some strange shipping that doesn't work and wait weeks till I get my bean so I can make a coffee? Am I doing something wrong by zipping up the road to buy a bag of beans?
John, do you want me to eat at Red Robins and spend $100.00 on dinner just to have a coffee? Do I really know that they grind their own beans there?
Wow, all I want is a simple life which I have, a simple coffee grinder and a coffee but now I'm really confused:confused::D:p

No, No, No... My post about Amazon got put in the wrong thread..That was a totally separate subject.. Sorry for the confusion..

Festus2
02-07-2014, 05:43 PM

Steve -
If you really want a "simple life", go out and buy the beans that you like and grind them up in a coffee grinder that you can afford and like.

Zip down the road, buy your beans, take them home, grind them, and make your coffee.

Why does this have to be so complicated and confusing? Really. Forget the "nosey lady" next door. Just make your coffee and get the thread back on track........"Which brand of coffee do you buy??"" Thank you.

Steve S
02-07-2014, 05:44 PM
That's ok Bob, I was smiling and laughing while I read that as I was wondering what was going on:)
I did get my bag of coffee beans and D just explained to me that grinding beans is fresher, a bit more expensive but it's the way I like it so things are all good.:)

fla-gypsy
02-07-2014, 09:14 PM
The cost of anything must always be compared to the value derived from it. In my case I wouldn't drink the swill that comes pre ground. Freshly ground and brewed coffee is one of my great pleasures in life.

Steve S
02-07-2014, 09:28 PM
The cost of anything must always be compared to the value derived from it. In my case I wouldn't drink the swill that comes pre ground. Freshly ground and brewed coffee is one of my great pleasures in life.

I agree totally, grinding my beans in the morning with the fresh smell is awesome!
I can't drink anything from the chains, I always bring a thermos with me.
On my job sites I have a coffee maker for me and the boys.
I've been buying flavored beans over the last few yrs and there's some really good stuff out there.

JeffS
02-13-2014, 01:47 PM
Due to the amount of snow we now have I have temporary switched to Jim Beam's Bourbon Flavored Gourmet Coffee!!!!! It helps start another day of snow.

Steve S
02-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Here's a coffee carafe that I use to keep the coffee hot when I turn the pot off. It keeps the coffee warm for hrs and I can take it outside with me.
As you can see I'm still using the worlds cheapest coffee pot.:yes:

fla-gypsy
02-18-2014, 06:54 PM
I have a very similar one and it is great

CarbonFun
02-18-2014, 11:00 PM
We grind whole beans shipped every month from Kauai Coffee. Kauai Coffee is the only coffee plantation in the US and I use to live on Kauai with the coffee tree fields right out my bavk door.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Essness
02-19-2014, 05:57 AM
Here's a coffee carafe that I use to keep the coffee hot when I turn the pot off. It keeps the coffee warm for hrs and I can take it outside with me.
As you can see I'm still using the worlds cheapest coffee pot.:yes:

I have a inexpensive B&D that brews directly into a stainless carafe. Immediate portability"bouncey:

Cnc_hemi
02-19-2014, 08:38 AM
Community coffee. Only the best in the world. Lol. Louisiana roasted right here in Baton Rouge.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L